HopHead

Return to office

Rate this topic

284 posts in this topic

14 mins ago, Slacker said:

My last company had us all on company only cell phones back when iPhone 5 was a thing. 

People that do any kind of "field" work have been "telecommuters" for decades.  I remember dictating reports while sitting on the beach.

yeah, if you know, you know...

13 mins ago, Slacker said:

They don't care about what you talk on.  They care about what you email from.

yes, it is the non-verbal communications that is the key. what can show up in an investigation that was put into "writing". unless a conversation is recorded, it is hearsay in any investigation. 

btw, we have traders who have to have all client interactions recorded due to regulation. when WFH became a thing, there was a scramble to solve for that by having all business calls routed from mobile phone through their monitored desk phones and recorded. i believe that was the problem that led to this big settlement, too many going around that or using WhatApp and other non-monitored messaging systems. 

9 mins ago, Slacker said:

The company phone is great.  When you break it or quit the job, you just say "here, take your phone" and have nothing to delete or move.  

i bricked my 6S a while back and they sent me a 12 when the 13 was the latest. the addition of Face ID was a big uptick. 

3 mins ago, z-man said:

Just move the mouse every once in a while. :)

they right monitoring system can sense that. the people who "gamed" the system did a version of that using Raspberry Pis and little motors. sneaky bastids. 

2 mins ago, Slacker said:

Nobody should bitch about providing extra monitors.  Monitors are cheap... they are on the paper clips, stapler and business cards level of decision making.

it seemed to be an envy thing. little people given big power. 

for the rest of you, eff youz. 

I had the option having a company pay for my phone ir give me a work phone. Wwhen they foot the bill, they keep the number after you leave. I chose the company device. 

1 min ago, Niffty said:

Wwhen they foot the bill, they keep the number after you leave. 

We dont have office phones.  Everything is webex.  Calls to any of my offices are routed to my laptop and cell.  

46 mins ago, flyangler said:

Veteran telecommuters do things differently than the post-pandemic crowd. I have had the ability to dial in since the days of a dial-up modem, even pre-DSL. I have remoted in from a dozen states, several European countries as well as from planes, trains and automobiles. Across our company, perhaps 10%, maybe 15%, did so prior to Covid and the majority of those were IT folks, with I-bankers and a few of my colleagues in the mix. These veterans work differently than the newbies. 

Our company is now monitoring online activity and they have been for a year. Watching logged in time, keystroke count, apps used, etc. I have heard of several people who have been let go for "gaming" the system and faking their online activity. 

Also, a big push to get entire workforce on firm-issued mobile phones as it is becoming a problem with people using personal devices for business use, unmonitored. If you say that $1bn+ settlement yesterday with the big banks, that is the problem, the banks did not have a clear affirmative defense that they have acted to prevent such unmonitored communications. 

So the keystroke thing is interesting. Ive been working from home in some capaciry since 2007.  We used to have a mouse program that would move our screen every few minutes and click so skype woukd stay active and i would set it to do no disturb.  

1 hour ago, Heron25 said:

Most people are undisciplined fat bodies.  No way they work harder or more at home.  

i can tell you i work hard when i need too.  

1 hour ago, HugeDinghy said:

I do believe that more people than not, are far less productive at home than in the office. I would also bet the farm that it varies wildly by industry. 

I think my productivity is the same regardless. If I have tork to do, I do it. If I am slow, I **** off, regardless of where I'm sitting. The only advantage I like about my cube over my home desk is I have two monitors in the office and only one and the laptop screen at home. 

26 mins ago, fishinambition said:

No one on earth is gonna use just a work phone. This is one of those unsolvable problems that drive micromanagers bonkers lol. I hate those people anyway. 

I have a few friends that have both a work and a personal phone. In fact, one buddy now has three, two work and one personal. He took a consulting job in addition to his regular job. lol

1 min ago, mybeach said:

You shouldn’t even be able to change a ringtone.

Do you feel so strongly about all of this due to the security concerns in your prior indistry? 

24 mins ago, Slacker said:

They don't care about what you talk on.  They care about what you email from.

Not true.  Wall street firms just got fined billions for using whatsapp

2 mins ago, Goldy said:

Not true.  Wall street firms just got fined billions for using whatsapp

For written communications, no?

10 mins ago, MikeMc said:

I think my productivity is the same regardless. If I have tork to do, I do it. If I am slow, I **** off, regardless of where I'm sitting. The only advantage I like about my cube over my home desk is I have two monitors in the office and only one and the laptop screen at home. 

I have a few friends that have both a work and a personal phone. In fact, one buddy now has three, two work and one personal. He took a consulting job in addition to his regular job. lol

I think IT is the one industry that it doesn’t matter. Might actually be more productive outside of the traditional office setting. Can’t be said for most industries though. 

Just now, HugeDinghy said:

I think IT is the one industry that it doesn’t matter. Might actually be more productive outside of the traditional office setting. Can’t be said for most industries though. 

Matters if you need to maintain a server room

12 mins ago, Kings over Queens said:

Do you feel so strongly about all of this due to the security concerns in your prior indistry? 

Yes.

Mike, that being said, I am woefully, yet thankfully, out of touch.

I can’t even figure out why my wife’s calls are silent. Phone doesn’t ring, ever lol.

f dead Steve Jobs.