BrianBM

Quick repair of a spinning guide

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

The ceramic ring popped out of a single-foot guide on a light spin rod that I like. What's better for a quick fix, superglue or a bit of 2-hr epoxy?

10 mins ago, BrianBM said:

The ceramic ring popped out of a single-foot guide on a light spin rod that I like. What's better for a quick fix, superglue or a bit of 2-hr epoxy?

I’d go with a small zip tie at 0 & 180. 

1 hour ago, Gatr522 said:

I have two rods that I super glued replacement rings into. Both have held since spring.

Good enough for me. I'll give it a whack tomorrow.

I've snapped them back in and dripped on thread epoxy with a tooth pic lasted years.

Posted (edited)

On 9/30/2022 at 10:54 AM, ccb said:

Hate those guides 

I've been replacing loads of them all year.Minute cracks over and above the chipped,popped,and broken frames.Most you can't "feel" with your finger,q tip,etc.A single edge razor blade slid around the ring you'l feel a little tick[or 2].Thats a crack and braid doesn't like it.Most are in the tip top and first couple of guides.Reeling in terminal tackle through the guides is a big issue.Got 3 rods in the shop now for replacements.Also,guides to match are getting very hard to find.Especially on the lower end gear.Sea Guard and Alps are tough to find in the smaller sizes.

Zap-a gap thick works well for the popped ones.Clean out the frame and remove the old on the ring.Just clean off the excess before it cures.

Edited by theshadow

I epoxied the ring back into a guide frame years ago and it’s held well ever since.

I think I used 30 minute stuff, but I’m not positive.

Anyway, epoxy works well.

You have to be careful to not get epoxy on the inside of the ring where fishing line has contact.

Other than that, it’s a quick and dirty repair which may last you for a very long time.

On 9/27/2022 at 10:24 PM, BrianBM said:

Good enough for me. I'll give it a whack tomorrow.

So did you have any luck with this?

EA