RAW

The back procedure MILD , awesome results

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

51 mins ago, RAW said:

With multiple back surgeries and not wanting another, I got the MILD procedure done. It's been a month and backs feel great. Its basically a clean out of anything on, in or around disc and spinal cord. Was to be 1 hour, took 2 plus hours, He just kept at asking if I'm OK. no anesthesia or pain killer as I'm allergic. It doesn't fix or stop breakage, but I can swing my fly rod, walk the beach for a good distance. Medicare approved and paid for 100%.  That's after all the injection type things. cleaned 1-5 and I could not have imagined the difference. When you have bulging disc's, calcium deposits and particles floating around your spinal cord, causing stenosis. It's only a few years old in technology or application but watch out FISH!

GREAT to hear you are feeling better!!

1 hour ago, RAW said:

With multiple back surgeries and not wanting another, I got the MILD procedure done. It's been a month and backs feel great. Its basically a clean out of anything on, in or around disc and spinal cord. Was to be 1 hour, took 2 plus hours, He just kept at asking if I'm OK. no anesthesia or pain killer as I'm allergic. It doesn't fix or stop breakage, but I can swing my fly rod, walk the beach for a good distance. Medicare approved and paid for 100%.  That's after all the injection type things. cleaned 1-5 and I could not have imagined the difference. When you have bulging disc's, calcium deposits and particles floating around your spinal cord, causing stenosis. It's only a few years old in technology or application but watch out FISH!

Thanks for sharing. I will be asking about this exact possibility now I know it’s a thing. C3-6 issues. You’re motivating me to make my appointment. 

On 9/27/2022 at 8:50 AM, RAW said:

That's great your feeling good, might be an option for me at one point. 

On 9/27/2022 at 10:34 AM, EricDice said:

Thanks for sharing. I will be asking about this exact possibility now I know it’s a thing. C3-6 issues. You’re motivating me to make my appointment. 

Got out last nite throwing fly rod, all good, no pain this morning!

On 9/27/2022 at 8:50 AM, RAW said:

Hey Brother,

Thank you for posting this. I'm very happy for you as I know how debilitating and discouraging back pain can be.

This is very encouraging news. I'd never heard of it, but I'll need to remember that name. I suffered w/ serious back pain for years after breaking up a fight at school. Barely escaped surgery. Had multipack injections. In the midst of another low back attack as I type this. Perfect timing as we're moving and need to load POD. The Murphy and his law are a son of a *&%#.

Have fun and catches up!

JD

Topical thread.... I am on month 2 of my recovery from L4\L5 posterior lumbar decompression and laminectomy and yikes what a recovery journey  (I'm only 48) but I earned the surgery after 25 years of heavy weightlifting ( 10 of which were spent competitively powerlifting ).

I went to the Hospital for Special Surgery because they seem to be the ONLY place at the moment that doesn't push fusion - seems we are in the midst of a 'fusion craze' IMHO and it just feels a bit unethical.

Anyways, in relation to this thread, I inquired with about 10 different surgeons and they all poo poo on MILD, Limiflex, Coflex etc. ..likely because those procedures are not performed by ortho or nuero surgeons, rather they are performed by pain mgmt doctors.

After going through it...the entire concept of spine surgery just feels like "pioneering" and never a perfect outcome or Cinderella story....nor do you often see 'one and done' ... maybe I'm just jaded.

Anyway, there is a search engine to find a MILD doc

https://www.vertosmed.com/find-physician/

Good luck

Hi Raw,

My wife is going through the same issues,trying steroid shots first ,if that doesn't help we will move on. Glad you are back to swinging the fly rod. Clousers are on the way.

I did fusion, 6 weeks later I fractured another, Fusion stiffens your lower spine. It’s a huge money maker. Maine Health billed Medicare in’s $66,000 copay was just over $9000 3 years ago, had every injection type, they all start good 9,6,3 months then zero results MILD is done by orth doctor, had done at Portsmouth Surgery Center/ free! Ins, companies want you to go throw all non surgery things and this procedure is approved. I told old ortho as he said just more drugs/ ass.A friend left her ortho dr. At Maine Medical, because he does like. I spent 3 months thinking and now best decision . 

I sure hope this holds up for you.  There are definitely various options out there to consider.  After considering all my options & discussing them with different doctors I just underwent my 5th major back surgery on Sept 7th.....which fused L-2 &  L-3.  along with all the typical hardware.  In my case the doctors felt the ortho/less invasive procedure would not hold up for more than a year & then I would have to go the fusion route.   Many of the nerves in my affected area relate to bladder & bowel control (or loss there of) & I just don't feel like crapping or pissing my pants just yet... Happy birthday to me.... I hit 76 years today.....

I hear you, First them told me fusion failed as I have a long back(6’4”), , we also discussed ablation which is temporary, To me the thought of getting  a year to more is worth the typical 1 hour procedure. Normally can be done in office of ortho facility, I had many complicated issues, Myasthenia Gravis created biggest problem. Just did not or ever want another surgery. I guess if your 50 or so and still working it may be different, Good luck