codfish

NJ sand eels, what size?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

My friends daughter is getting married in NJ, so he would like to beach fish for bass. In Mass waters sand eels are always a good bait, 4-7 inches. What are the sand eel size in NJ??here is how we match the hatch.

sandeel.JPG

size is about the same as on the cape...maybe a touch smaller overall but not much...the big difference between nj and cape sand eels in my opinion is that the cape (from experience fishing up there) has a very consistent and reliable sand eel population.   Nj is sporadic at best with little to no predictability.  when they show up it could last for a few weeks or a tide. they could be spread out for half a mile or on one small bar. the only thing that might eb considered "typical" is that they show up in november and december. thats not to say they aren't here in some capacity during the spring or summer but its a crap shoot in my experience.  this is only for the beaches...I don't do enough boat fishing to know whats happening offshore. 

6 hours ago, codfish said:

My friends daughter is getting married in NJ, so he would like to beach fish for bass. In Mass waters sand eels are always a good bait, 4-7 inches. What are the sand eel size in NJ??here is how we match the hatch.

sandeel.JPG

I would say our sandeels are mostly on the lower end of that range as far as size goes.  Theyre almost always offshore, depends year to year if/when/where/how many of them push in.

The bill hurley sand eels will work, size depends on current and depth more than what size the live sand eels are. 

Never had trouble with sizing when sandeels are around. Don't even need to be fancy. The only problem is will they come to the beach this year. Last year is pretty much a no show.

35 mins ago, hobobob said:

Never had trouble with sizing when sandeels are around. Don't even need to be fancy. The only problem is will they come to the beach this year. Last year is pretty much a no show.

This year on Cape Cod waters the Mackerel were a no show for the most part which led to big numbers on sand eels, so you might be seeing them sooner than later

I’d say 4-6” typical. Saw legit 9-10” ones in the 80’s in Nov. Some big bass were on them. 

On 9/27/2022 at 5:47 AM, codfish said:

sandeel.JPG

Do you know what time of year and what town? the fishing is different all over in nj depending on location and time of year. 

3 hours ago, crazybellringer said:

Do you know what time of year and what town? the fishing is different all over in nj depending on location and time of year. 

The wedding was in Fords NJ, can you recommend some place to fish from the beach for stripers??

Fords is Wood bridge area

Take GS Parkway south to Ex 117

Go East on RT36  to Sandy Hook

Lots of beach

good luck

On 10/12/2022 at 8:48 PM, Dead Duck said:

Fords is Wood bridge area

Take GS Parkway south to Ex 117

Go East on RT36  to Sandy Hook

Lots of beach

good luck

:th:

Posted (edited)

How would you rate 2022 fall fishing in NJ?? in Ma we still have large numbers of bass feeding heavy :th:

Edited by codfish