Capefox

High vs. Low Reel Seats

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Is one really better than the other? High seems to make sense for spinning reels but feels awkward for conventionals somehow. I'm thinking of building a low mount for big surf conventionals such as the Seagate 50 or buying an Aussie/South African style rod such as the Assassin Horizon series. 

Are you comfortable “thumbing” the reel spool with the opposite hand as usual? Don’t think the low reel mount plays well with the sand spikes we use here. In other parts of the world they use tripod rod holders so reel placement doesn’t matter. 

Wondering what is the advantage of low reel seats for fishing applications?  Distance casting in tournaments maybe or if you need extreme distance for fishing I guess…. I suppose if you are going to do it buy a tripod.  I use them here in the North East and like them a lot.  Just can’t see how reeling in a fish from the bottom of the rod would be much fun.  Could always put 2 seats on the rod or use an adjustable seat

3 hours ago, ecks said:

Are you comfortable “thumbing” the reel spool with the opposite hand as usual? Don’t think the low reel mount plays well with the sand spikes we use here. In other parts of the world they use tripod rod holders so reel placement doesn’t matter. 

I learned to fish with a Penn 500 on a low mount as a pre-teen. Then my father moved us far from the ocean and I got tangled in studies, work, etc. that caused a 20 year hiatus. I couldn't find low mount rods here in the US when I resumed fishing and adapted to high mount, but now that I have more money and skill the option is back. I'm not sure if I'm looking at things with rose-tinted glasses or if low mount really was better.

1 hour ago, Capefox said:

I learned to fish with a Penn 500 on a low mount as a pre-teen. Then my father moved us far from the ocean and I got tangled in studies, work, etc. that caused a 20 year hiatus. I couldn't find low mount rods here in the US when I resumed fishing and adapted to high mount, but now that I have more money and skill the option is back. I'm not sure if I'm looking at things with rose-tinted glasses or if low mount really was better.

At the end of the day we fish for enjoyment so if a low mount reel rekindles good memories I say go for it. There are no rules in fishing. 

low reel is great for casting heavier payloads or getting more power from your cast.

it changes the fulcrum point of the rod while casting so it feels "lighter"

your reel hand has a better purchase of the spool or line and hand wont by at since a hyperextended  unconfortable angle (hold the casting spool on a high reel and youll know what i mean)

if unsure, get a rod with a high reel seat, and tape on a ls plate seat on the bottom to try it.

if you fish long term like this, get or make a reducer (removable butt extension, wood, carbon, w/e) for reeling in.

a wood stick also doubles nicely as a billy club.

i typically have my bait low reels 10" off the bottom and a 12" reducer. in 30 40 50 sizes.

it gives a decent length to reel in.

i dont know how some people fish with a short <10" butt digging into their stomach

On 2022/09/27 at 11:56 AM, ecks said:

Don’t think the low reel mount plays well with the sand spikes we use here. In other parts of the world they use tripod rod holders so reel placement doesn’t matter. 

We use sand spikes, not tripods. Works just fine.

18 hours ago, EricL said:

i dont know how some people fish with a short <10" butt digging into their stomach

They don't have the butt digging into their stomachs, they use a rod bucket.

rod bucket 01.jpg

58 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

We use sand spikes, not tripods. Works just fine.

They don't have the butt digging into their stomachs, they use a rod bucket.

rod bucket 01.jpg

Ya. I know but not alot here use em.

Now, the rob building phase: As luck has it, I have a 13 ft. surf rod that has a reel seat on it that I despise (the chrome pitted and I regard it as understrength for LBSF). It's a great project for conversion to a low reel seat mount. I looked on Mudhole and it looks like they stock most of what I need: reel seats, winding checks, epoxy, EVA lower grips, etc. However, I can't seem to find any EVA fore grips that are long enough -- 14" seems to be the max. I thought about adding two 14" EVA grips and adding some sort of nice spacer that looks stylish. Ideas? 

There is an importer for the  Assassin Horizon rods in the states but after you pay for the rod ~$800 + the shipping from S. Africa you can have a rod builder do what you want. I don't know where you are but Travis at Red Drum knows that rod style and will put the seat wherever you want for ~$500 using a Rod Geeks blank with Titanium Fuji guides. He did mine in a week while I was on vacation and it turned out great, I just didn't pull the trigger on the lower reel seat