Mark J

Custom plugs

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

What do you all think about this plug? I'm going to see how it swims tomorrow. Hopefully there are some stripers in my zone. Trying to beef up my plug arsenal... just can't wait months for a Fixter! Seems well-built and I like the lines. Anyone got a connection with a Bay Area craftsman? I find most stuff back East.

IMG_20220923_234905.jpg

Edited by Mark J

3 hours ago, Mark J said:

What do you all think about this plug? I'm going to see how it swims tomorrow. Hopefully there are some stripers in my zone. Trying to beef up my plug arsenal... just can't wait months for a Fixter! Seems well-built and I like the lines. Anyone got a connection with a Bay Area craftsman? I find most stuff back East.

IMG_20220923_234905.jpg

Head to Pacifica and get plugs from @Winch he makes plugs for stock not to order.  Great plugs that absolutely catch fish. 

On 9/26/2022 at 5:07 PM, Mark J said:

IMG_20220923_234905.jpg

Take that plug for a swim & decide for yourself what you think.  If you feel it has what your looking for then fish the hell out of it.... Right now I think you'll be better off fishing it in the bay vs the surf.  As for acquiring additional plugs take a look at the Buy Sell Trade forum here on SOL..  If that does not work then I suggest doing a little research on contact info for various West coast plug builders...

Exactly what I'm doing, Mike Fixter. I'm new to this forum, so I don't have access to all realms. I just  reached out to Winch on a thread. The plug above feels pretty good, and will have a place in my bag. I took time off last week and pounded the MB & SM surf for three days last week, hoping I would/could find some fish..... NADA. Got super excited when I spotted some frenzied bird action en route to Pescadero from Sunset, just past Pigeon Point. Pulled out, grabbed my rig and hustled down. Came up empty. Sigh. Switched to perch at times to keep my morale, and had some success. It's hard to give up on a surf season that has been pretty disappointing, to say the least. I live on the bay, but live for the surf, especially this summer where the algae was horrendous inside. The water is good now, and the fish are active. 10 minute walk to nighttime topwater schoolie action Tuesday. With Salmon in the mix, I've got more than enough fishing to keep me happy East of the sand!

Anyway, it's always good to get input from esteemed veterans.

There is some great builders back east that’s for sure . I have found it’s ideal to use plugs built by builders who fish the same waters you fish . Im in seaside and I’ve caught quite a few fish on mike fixters plugs and winchmasters plugs . 

Also these guys aren’t hard to find or get in touch with just reach out and search for em .

7 hours ago, Mike Fixter said:

Take that plug for a swim & decide for yourself what you think.  If you feel it has what your looking for then fish the hell out of it.... Right now I think you'll be better off fishing it in the bay vs the surf.  As for acquiring additional plugs take a look at the Buy Sell Trade forum here on SOL..  If that does not work then I suggest doing a little research on contact info for various West coast plug builders...

Wise advice Mike. I wouldn't sell him a plug after the remark he made either....eff em lol

22 hours ago, moocks said:

Wise advice Mike. I wouldn't sell him a plug after the remark he made either....eff em lol

AMEN to that Mr. Moocks..............  I guess I'm feeling grumpy after major back surgery #5....... Or maybe it's the pain meds............Get yourself healthy......When I am back in the saddle those Red tail are in for a whooooooopin........................

23 hours ago, moocks said:

Did I make an unsavory remark? Unintentional if I did.

14 mins ago, Mark J said:

Did I make an unsavory remark? Unintentional if I did.

No harm done Mark..... My point was it does not take months to get a Fixter plug........

19 mins ago, Mike Fixter said:

No harm done Mark..... My point was it does not take months to get a Fixter plug........

I am not in a position to confirm nor deny this is fact and will take your word for it - but I don't think anyone would ever view a comment implying your products are in such high demand that getting one proves difficult is anything but high praise for your craftmanship.

27 mins ago, adam42 said:

I am not in a position to confirm nor deny this is fact and will take your word for it - but I don't think anyone would ever view a comment implying your products are in such high demand that getting one proves difficult is anything but high praise for your craftmanship.

Thank you Adam42.... Your input is appreciated...

48 mins ago, Mike Fixter said:

I wrote the original post after having corresponded with NorCal Kat, who I was led to searching for your plugs. 15-16 mo. backlog I was told. I guess I'm pretty bad at finding stuff online! I'm CA native but spent 18 years in New England, where I got addicted to Striper surf fishing. This is only my second season hitting the sand here. I'm not in the circle or the know, so I suppose I was naive in.  thinking it would be near impossible to find Fixters. I was intrigued when I encountered a guy throwing one at Pescadero. He let me check it out and I wanted one! Bucktails are my bread and butter, but I'm more and more into throwing custom plugs. I guess I was just impatient to add some wood to my arsenal as the season winds down.

4 hours ago, Mike Fixter said:

Marc,  check your PM's...... Mike

Guess I'm too new or stupid to receive PM'S. I'll keep looking. Thanks, Mike. Got a skinny 28" on the good ol' Gibb's PP this evening. East meets West. A swirl, a pause, a twitch and BAM! Sent it home to the chagrin of the guy I asked to take the pic.

IMG_20220930_185421~2.jpg