Salmon River Kings

RAW

Yeah I found it on the NY DEC rules page:

"August 15 - October 31

Additional Regulations for Floating Lures Apply

• A bead chain may be attached to the floating lure with a ring.
  • The bead chain may not exceed a distance of 3-1/2 inches between the body of the floating lure and the hook point.
  • 1 hook with a single hook point and a gap of no more than 5/8 inches may be attached to the bead chain or directly to the lure".

2 hours ago, Redneck Tourist said:

Hmmmm. Yeah that does look like maybe single hook only on a lure. I can take 1 off and hopefully I can still land a fish like that. I wonder what is the advantage to the bead chain? Also I'll have to measure all my hooks now to make sure they are 5/8 gap. Geez this place has more rules than a massage parlor at a convent!

Lol yeah it does. Also it’s tin only. Fairly certain of that. You can’t use lead shot. Too bad every split shot I own is made of lead lol! The shops up there don’t sell lead shot, at least the one I go to doesn’t. I don’t think I’ve actually ever seen anybody using tin on the water though and I’ve never even seen a game warden in the 3-4 years I’ve been fishing there. I use tin because I might as well, I don’t want to get busted for something stupid like that. And I guess it is better for the environment, at least that’s what they say. Worst parts about it is the bulk packs of tin shot are like 30 bucks a pack which is grossly overpriced I think and that you have to use very large shot size to equal the weight of a smaller, denser lead shot.

They were biting before you got here and they’ll bite again after you leave

3 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

Lol yeah it does. Also it’s tin only. Fairly certain of that. You can’t use lead shot. Too bad every split shot I own is made of lead lol! The shops up there don’t sell lead shot, at least the one I go to doesn’t. I don’t think I’ve actually ever seen anybody using tin on the water though and I’ve never even seen a game warden in the 3-4 years I’ve been fishing there. I use tin because I might as well, I don’t want to get busted for something stupid like that. And I guess it is better for the environment, at least that’s what they say. Worst parts about it is the bulk packs of tin shot are like 30 bucks a pack which is grossly overpriced I think and that you have to use very large shot size to equal the weight of a smaller, denser lead shot.

Oh geez. I stocked up on shot preparing to lose alot of tackle. I'm not gonna switch it all out for tin at this point. That's ridiculous. I just altered all my lures to 1 hook with 5/8 gap.....heck I don't even know if they'll swim right like that? I hope this trip is worth the hassle.

9 mins ago, Redneck Tourist said:

Oh geez. I stocked up on shot preparing to lose alot of tackle. I'm not gonna switch it all out for tin at this point. That's ridiculous. I just altered all my lures to 1 hook with 5/8 gap.....heck I don't even know if they'll swim right like that? I hope this trip is worth the hassle.

Lol I know what you mean. I think it will be worth it though. I always have a blast and hooking up to a 20 pound king or the occasional steelhead or massive brown trout is just thrilling. I won’t switch to tin until my shot that I brought runs out and I have to buy more. Like I said, I have never ever seen a warden, but still be wary. These rules are such a pain in the ass sometimes. But I promise it’s worth it. I’ll post some pics here but I can’t right now because I’m on a PC and not my phone.

DBF35FEA-C2C5-4BE9-A8D0-C12CCFA6E168.jpeg.28dc338483b094707e6d6198157bafdf.jpeg

5319DE0D-208C-44DB-AB8E-BE68923E2C1C.jpeg.8226bf062b20fb64ee742fdf788feb7a.jpeg

The one above was my largest, 20 pound female, not a rotten spot on her. Beautiful fish and a hard fighter.

FAC94A9C-AF79-4C75-825E-93A78C5FCBD5.jpeg.3e9bd699b7c97ad3010a9455425a9c41.jpeg

4EE0314F-B22E-4330-9849-48623C435387.jpeg.8976b4a7e65721266644c20bef6846d3.jpeg

This here was my first coho I caught last year. There were more cohos and steelhead caught than kings last year when I went.

These photos are from 2020 and 2021. I don’t know if I’ll make it this year but hopefully.

Ok so decided to head on up there to Salmon River and see what all the fuss is about? It's 5 hrs drive from my house so I left around 1am Wed morning. It was clear weather for most of the way up. The forecast was for chance of showers, but by the time I got to Syracuse it was an absolute deluge. I was expecting to find the river muddy and blown out......and it was. If I was Steelhead fishing and the water condition was like this I would be totally screwed, but flossing is something different altogether right? So my goal was to catch my 1st salmon and I actually did that within minutes of arriving at the river. I was thinking maybe the rain and high water would keep the crowd down, but didn't really make much difference. I followed a road down to the river and saw the hole was packed so I walked down till I got to the end of the line of people and stood beside the last person. I think I hooked a fish on my 3rd cast and lost it, then about 10 minutes later I hooked up again and managed to land this one:

NQYTISOh.jpg

......I didn't measure it but it weighed 23 lbs. The guy beside me and his wife were veteran salmon fishermen and they helped me land it and get it on the stringer and got a quick pic. There were alot of people and the fishing was shoulder to shoulder, but everyone was nice for the most part. I fished till dark on Wed and then Thurs I started at daybreak and fished till 3pm, then drove back home. I hooked up about 10 fish total but only landed 2, the 2nd one was a jack about 15 lbs or so. I was definately doing something wrong and I'm lucky to have caught anything. I saw lots of guys catching fish all around me, if I had a better idea what I was doing I'm sure I would've caught more. I had fun for the most part and had been considering staying 1 more day, but I decided I had enough of the circus.

I think the best thing I got out of this short trip was that from now on when someone starts talking to me about salmon river I can say yeah, I been there done that. Seeing those huge fish coming up the river jumping and splashing around was an amazing sight, and hooking one was definately a thrill ride. On Wed just before dark a huge group of them came through, there must've been hundreds, they were just everywhere. I hooked one and, for a few minutes I thought I might land it, but then it just took off and my line broke. I'll reflect back on this experience for awhile to decide if I want to go again next year or not. Maybe.

3 mins ago, Redneck Tourist said:

Ok so decided to head on up there to Salmon River and see what all the fuss is about? It's 5 hrs drive from my house so I left around 1am Wed morning. It was clear weather for most of the way up. The forecast was for chance of showers, but by the time I got to Syracuse it was an absolute deluge. I was expecting to find the river muddy and blown out......and it was. If I was Steelhead fishing and the water condition was like this I would be totally screwed, but flossing is something different altogether right? So my goal was to catch my 1st salmon and I actually did that within minutes of arriving at the river. I was thinking maybe the rain and high water would keep the crowd down, but didn't really make much difference. I followed a road down to the river and saw the hole was packed so I walked down till I got to the end of the line of people and stood beside the last person. I think I hooked a fish on my 3rd cast and lost it, then about 10 minutes later I hooked up again and managed to land this one:

NQYTISOh.jpg

......I didn't measure it but it weighed 23 lbs. The guy beside me and his wife were veteran salmon fishermen and they helped me land it and get it on the stringer and got a quick pic. There were alot of people and the fishing was shoulder to shoulder, but everyone was nice for the most part. I fished till dark on Wed and then Thurs I started at daybreak and fished till 3pm, then drove back home. I hooked up about 10 fish total but only landed 2, the 2nd one was a jack about 15 lbs or so. I was definately doing something wrong and I'm lucky to have caught anything. I saw lots of guys catching fish all around me, if I had a better idea what I was doing I'm sure I would've caught more. I had fun for the most part and had been considering staying 1 more day, but I decided I had enough of the circus.

I think the best thing I got out of this short trip was that from now on when someone starts talking to me about salmon river I can say yeah, I been there done that. Seeing those huge fish coming up the river jumping and splashing around was an amazing sight, and hooking one was definately a thrill ride. On Wed just before dark a huge group of them came through, there must've been hundreds, they were just everywhere. I hooked one and, for a few minutes I thought I might land it, but then it just took off and my line broke. I'll reflect back on this experience for awhile to decide if I want to go again next year or not. Maybe.

Welcome to the club, Don’t forget, midnight to midnight runs are an option

49 mins ago, Redneck Tourist said:

NQYTISOh.jpg

Good job there bud. Your first was bigger than any I ever caught haha! They are a blast to catch. It is a bad hookup to landing ratio I’ve found, for every 3 I hook I get one in normally. Tight lines out there.

On 9/30/2022 at 7:27 PM, Redneck Tourist said:

NQYTISOh.jpg

i think you did great. my best ratio up there was 1 fish for 10 hook ups. it aint easy flossing as people think. those kings will break poles & snap lines like no ones business :laugh:

I live to fish. Not fish to live. 

I fish because things in my head tell me to.

2 hours ago, vce12342000 said:

i think you did great. my best ratio up there was 1 fish for 10 hook ups. it aint easy flossing as people think. those kings will break poles & snap lines like no ones business :laugh:

Thanks. It was dumb luck. I was clueless, but I had plenty of company......lol.

20 hours ago, vce12342000 said:

You can add break reels to that list. I’ve talked to multiple guys who say they’ve seen reel stems break while fighting a fish. One guy said that a lot of the broken reels turned out to be cheaper okuma reels. I’d never use a graphite reel up there personally. Always have a metal body and stem. I use an offshore angler frigate 3500 I got on sale for cheap and it works perfectly. I have yet to see a reel crack in two myself though. 

1 hour ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

You can add break reels to that list. I’ve talked to multiple guys who say they’ve seen reel stems break while fighting a fish. One guy said that a lot of the broken reels turned out to be cheaper okuma reels. I’d never use a graphite reel up there personally. Always have a metal body and stem. I use an offshore angler frigate 3500 I got on sale for cheap and it works perfectly. I have yet to see a reel crack in two myself though. 

I saw a guy right beside me hook a fish and when he tried to reel it up, the handle broke right off in his hand! This was on a spinning reel, so I asked him what was he gonna do now? He said he's gonna try to "hand line" it.......lol. I didn't say it but I was thinking "yeah right". I think the fight lasted about 5 seconds after that and it broke off.

Another guy showed up with an ultra-light trout spinning outfit. He started hooking fish as soon as he got there.....I was trying to figure out what he was doing that was working so well? I think he hooked up on 1st 3 casts and, of course, lost all of them. The next one he hooked went downstream like a rocket, got into the rapids, and before he knew what happened it spooled him.......lol. I'm no expert, but I assumed before I went there that I should leave my UL trout gear at home......lol.

51 mins ago, Redneck Tourist said:

I saw a guy right beside me hook a fish and when he tried to reel it up, the handle broke right off in his hand! This was on a spinning reel, so I asked him what was he gonna do now? He said he's gonna try to "hand line" it.......lol. I didn't say it but I was thinking "yeah right". I think the fight lasted about 5 seconds after that and it broke off.

Another guy showed up with an ultra-light trout spinning outfit. He started hooking fish as soon as he got there.....I was trying to figure out what he was doing that was working so well? I think he hooked up on 1st 3 casts and, of course, lost all of them. The next one he hooked went downstream like a rocket, got into the rapids, and before he knew what happened it spooled him.......lol. I'm no expert, but I assumed before I went there that I should leave my UL trout gear at home......lol.

Guy with the UL is a doofus. Like bringing a pool noodle to a gunfight… I even have a hard time with my adequate gear, at least when I accidentally snag them in the tail. They are like missiles. Hooking them in the mouth makes for a much nicer fight. Still must have been funny to see.

Edited by ProSkateFisherman

1 hour ago, Redneck Tourist said:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:. Ive seen alot of guys under & over prepared. Ive even seen a few guys use saltwater conventional reels & pools that you use on a party boat :laugh: 

I live to fish. Not fish to live. 

I fish because things in my head tell me to.