RAW

Salmon River Kings

82 posts in this topic

Sons been doing it since 1987, I guess I taught them well. Light spinning 10-12 mono single split. Literally 50 plus to a hole , big fresh/ green fish, lost all the coho’s. They want to got back October 1 st week, both sons said fisherman’s attitudes were great, everyone helped net, Webcam makes look more crowded than it really was. Up river very few guys

Posted (edited)

All the guys I have met up there have been great. Made some friends up there too. My first year up there I was just having terrible luck, and right before I had to pack up a man smoking a flavored cigar hooks up and hands me his rod. I got it in and it was a 13 or so pound female king, not rotten spots or nothing, pristine fish. I will always be grateful for that act of kindness. Last year I had some guy from Rhode Island talk to me for 30 minutes about the Cape Cod Canal and some other forum where you have to pay a membership fee. I'm never gonna get to the canal but it was nice hearing his stories of New England striper fishing in its heyday. 

12 pound mono is a standard. But when you tail hook a big king, you wish you had heavier, because there is no stopping that fish lol... I think I may be able to get up there for a short trip eventually. Hope so, always have a good time there. Something about the atmosphere there makes me feel good for some reason. Tight lines to all fishing up there.

Edited by ProSkateFisherman
added a little

Wow that's awesome! I'm heading up there late tonight/early am for a few days. Been fishing for steelhead in Erie for a number of years but this is my 1st attempt at salmon fishing.

1 hour ago, Redneck Tourist said:

Wow that's awesome! I'm heading up there late tonight/early am for a few days. Been fishing for steelhead in Erie for a number of years but this is my 1st attempt at salmon fishing.

fish are spreading out. Crowds' weekdays are light compared to other years. Gas, motels, they said tackle was brutal, 2 broken rods and 3 reels needing re-spooling, Awesome! enjoy

1 hour ago, RAW said:

fish are spreading out. Crowds' weekdays are light compared to other years. Gas, motels, they said tackle was brutal, 2 broken rods and 3 reels needing re-spooling, Awesome! enjoy

Yeah I got a hotel outta town since I read really bad reviews on the local ones there. I'm thinking I'd better take everything I'm gonna need cause the tackle stores there are probably gonna be sold out of stuff like hooks, line, and whatever you put on a hook for flossing. I'm still not real sure how the whole flossing thing works but I'm assuming I'll be able to figure it out. I'm bringing my steelhead gear along too so if I feel like the steelhead are around I might give that a try. Should be an interesting next few days! 

9 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

What kind of lures do people use in the salmon River? Or is it all fly fishing?

Well they say the King salmon won't bite at all, or for the most part, so you have to floss (snag) them. Not sure about coho salmon?, but steelhead definately will bite and they will hit a lure like a freight train. Plugs and spoons have always worked well for me, and I've seen guys using spinners too.

Posted (edited)

The guys I’m going with use flies…

some on spinning set-ups, others on fly rods.   Just enough split shot 4ft above the hook to get a steady bottom bounce. 
I believe any lure used must be rigged with a single hook. No trebles. 

5C0397FC-D815-40BC-98A9-4EC9A60829EE.jpeg

Edited by TBYRD
Added pic from NY DCR

no trebles, they really do not eat. Grandkids were running floats with split at swivel, then leader a little lighter, Deeper water they removed floats and bottom bouncing. My sons tied up flies size 6 on streamer hooks