curran

Sleeping in car

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

before the fish are gone, I was planning on going on one last trip down to the cape. It's a two hour drive for me, so to make it worth it I was hoping to stay down there overnight. I plan on going to the Osterville area, ive fished it before with success.

I read up on car-sleeping tips and im gonna go out of the way and sleep in a safe spot. window down a bit for air and i will check with the place im sleeping at to see if it's cool with them.

Anyone do this before? any safety tips? I camp a lot so if there were any camp sites nearby I would camp. budget is limited because my summer job ended so I cant stay at a motel. I ask a lot of stupid questions on this site and i'm sorry for that. 

3 mins ago, curran said:

I read up on car-sleeping tips and im gonna go out of the way and sleep in a safe spot.

It's my understanding that Walmart is OK with people staying in their cars in the Walmart parking lots.  Looks to be one in Teaticket - not too far from Osterville.

Plenty of people do it, though personally I don't get much sleep unless it's in a proper bed. Fold down the seats, crack a window, inflate a halfway decent sleeping pad, throw a blanket over you, and call it a night. Personally, I'd probably just vote to fish through the night and catching up on sleep at home but, YMMV

I have enough trouble getting to sleep in my own bed most of the time.  I'd vote for fishing all night too, except that might be a drag if nothing's biting.  If you're landing fish and the adrenaline's going, be wary of it wearing off and the fatigue hitting hard once you're back on the road the next day.

Keep the keys out of the ignition. I was once sobriety checked while napping in a car/listening to the radio. Having the keys in the ignition meant I was operating the vehicle.

slept a lot in my car in my vagabond road trips days of my yut

if you can do it stealthily, then hotel parking lots are great because they are used to new vehicles appearing and staying overnight

not all walmarts are ok with it but most are

highway rest stops are pretty good so long as it's not a busy one

I'd be very careful about anywhere in a town as cops will often check unfamiliar cars parked in public spots for this very thing - you never want to deal with getting the knock in the middle of the night

I'm legit looking at getting a camper van right now - but there's a lot of places I wouldn't park and sleep in overnight if I weren't armed - dealt with the occasional shady character back in my college days on road trips - a homeless vagrant off his rocker sees a car parked in the middle of nowhere and they often go investigate - was never in any danger or anything and don't believe I'd need a gun, but you run into some shady character with unclear motives often enough that you'd want that peace of mind rather than paranoia over what happens if you are woken up in the middle of the night and it's not a cop telling you you're in violation of a town ordnance and need to leave but a deranged homeless man with a knife and crowbar looking to bust in and grab anything of value

good point about night fishing. I was planning on just going for day time fish like scup and bsb because they are easy to catch and I suck at fishing. Night fishing could be fun as I haven't caught a striper yet this year. without spot burning could anyone recommend or dm some spots where I might have better luck than a random beach?

4 mins ago, ermghoti said:

Keep the keys out of the ignition. I was once sobriety checked while napping in a car/listening to the radio. Having the keys in the ignition meant I was operating the vehicle.

im 16 so I don't drink but i'll keep it in mind :th:

5 mins ago, adam42 said:

slept a lot in my car in my vagabond road trips days of my yut

if you can do it stealthily, then hotel parking lots are great because they are used to new vehicles appearing and staying overnight

not all walmarts are ok with it but most are

highway rest stops are pretty good so long as it's not a busy one

I'd be very careful about anywhere in a town as cops will often check unfamiliar cars parked in public spots for this very thing - you never want to deal with getting the knock in the middle of the night

I'm legit looking at getting a camper van right now - but there's a lot of places I wouldn't park and sleep in overnight if I weren't armed - dealt with the occasional shady character back in my college days on road trips - a homeless vagrant off his rocker sees a car parked in the middle of nowhere and they often go investigate - was never in any danger or anything and don't believe I'd need a gun, but you run into some shady character with unclear motives often enough that you'd want that peace of mind rather than paranoia over what happens if you are woken up in the middle of the night and it's not a cop telling you you're in violation of a town ordnance and need to leave but a deranged homeless man with a knife and crowbar looking to bust in and grab anything of value

sounds good. never though about hotel but it makes a lot of sense

53 mins ago, curran said:

before the fish are gone, I was planning on going on one last trip down to the cape. It's a two hour drive for me, so to make it worth it I was hoping to stay down there overnight. I plan on going to the Osterville area, ive fished it before with success.

I read up on car-sleeping tips and im gonna go out of the way and sleep in a safe spot. window down a bit for air and i will check with the place im sleeping at to see if it's cool with them.

Anyone do this before? any safety tips? I camp a lot so if there were any camp sites nearby I would camp. budget is limited because my summer job ended so I cant stay at a motel. I ask a lot of stupid questions on this site and i'm sorry for that. 

I was going to say that the park and ride at the burger king at exit 6 should be fine.  Just turn the car off and dress warm enough.

You should dig a little deeper for a camp site. There are several in the area.

I've done every kind of what's now called "stealth camping" long before it was a fad.

I've slept in many of my vehicles over the years, having had two station wagons. I actually layed down in the back of my rav 4 at the dealer before I bought it. 

Having said that, sleeping in the car sucks. Even stretched out in back on an air mattress. It's too claustraphobic, too exposed to view inside, too likely to attract cops or concerned locals.

And trying to sleep in a car with no back to stretch out in sucks alot more. And cops are more suspicious of random guys passed out upright than they are of guys sleeping in the back.

Give me a campground when I can get it but I have been known to roll up in a tarp back in the dunes in places where sleeping in the car is not an option. 

A couple of thoughts;

At 16 I definitely would have done this, and did in a '66 mustang... Not a good vehicle to sleep in by the way.

If my 16 yo son was planning this, iI would be looking to put him up in a hotel room or something....

I have seen memes with guys asleep in their car and a sign on the windshield saying; Don't Narcan me, I'm just napping....

A boatyard would be my first place to look for. Reason being crews have to be there in middle of the night to get on their boats... Ask the yard. I doubt they are going to go hard on a 16 yo kid who wants to fish....

I do it comfortably with an inflatable twin air mattress, only regret is I got the cheapest one online so I have to wake up and add some air at about 3 am other than that it's great. Bring extra blankets it gets cold some nights. And I'd just try and find the most secluded out of the way place away from people you can find. 

1 hour ago, curran said:

good point about night fishing. I was planning on just going for day time fish like scup and bsb because they are easy to catch and I suck at fishing. Night fishing could be fun as I haven't caught a striper yet this year. without spot burning could anyone recommend or dm some spots where I might have better luck than a random beach?

Keep in mind that the BSB season closed in Massachusetts on 09/04....