runnsfromcops

stranger things MTK

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

UFOs and weird fish. Anyone know what the hell this thing is (the fish, not SpaceX)? Washed up on the south side, relatively fresh. The body was massive, probably 60+ pounds by my armchair estimation. Also saw a huge stingray that was like 5 feet across. 

thumbnail_IMG_3296.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1012.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1017.jpg

3 hours ago, runnsfromcops said:

UFOs and weird fish. Anyone know what the hell this thing is (the fish, not SpaceX)? Washed up on the south side, relatively fresh. The body was massive, probably 60+ pounds by my armchair estimation. Also saw a huge stingray that was like 5 feet across. 

thumbnail_IMG_3296.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1012.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1017.jpg

Agree Dogtooth or Cubera Snapper?

good calls on both species. i looked at some images on line and the pink near the gill plate and teeth, i think it's a snapper.

32 mins ago, Nite_Bite_00 said:

good calls on both species. i looked at some images on line and the pink near the gill plate and teeth, i think it's a snapper.

I think I agree on the cubera snapper. The body had a reddish tinge to it that you can't really see in the pic. I've never seen something like this washed up on the beach here—any Montauk regulars see one of these before?

1 hour ago, runnsfromcops said:

I think I agree on the cubera snapper. The body had a reddish tinge to it that you can't really see in the pic. I've never seen something like this washed up on the beach here—any Montauk regulars see one of these before?

I know of one caught in the Fire Island area some years back. With the warm water we've had this past season, wouldn't surprise me to have one turn up out there. 

16 mins ago, the3fishheads said:

That was SpaceX I saw Saturday nite? Thought I was watching another UFO.

that's what I thought too watching it over the water deep out in the south side. I wasn't sure what it was until the next day.

7 hours ago, hobobob said:

El chupacabra

La Chupacabra

Not El

But this is too South for them

I haven't seen one South of Main

Who knew.