PurpelNoon

Remedy for Broken Lips on Plastic Swimmers

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

It seems my stock of like-new plastic plugs with broken lips is growing ,either from fish smacking them down or hitting stuff accidentally while casting. The lips on some of the newer plugs seem to be even glued on. Is there anything one can do to fix these plugs? Fish them differently? Will manufacturer replace? Right now I have a Sebile Puncher and Rapala X Rap with busted lips. Thanks.

I've received replacement plugs as well as replacement Rebel lips, others have made their own lips for plugs with glued in lips

Having wasted my time on many occasions attempting to successfully perform a lip transplant I came the realization it just wasn't worth the effort. The only ones that performed 100% were F 80's. One caviott, I found that 16a Bombers with broken lips swim much higher and sometimes catch well.

4 mins ago, XBMX said:

Having wasted my time on many occasions attempting to successfully perform a lip transplant I came the realization it just wasn't worth the effort. The only ones that performed 100% were F 80's. One caviott, I found that 16a Bombers with broken lips swim much higher and sometimes catch well.

Interesting. I know a guy who shortened the lip of a few models of bombers. Claims there’s a more pronounced v wake. 

I have also wasted time trying to repair an x rap. Definitely not worth it as a straight up repair. 

(I could see trying different lip styles for fun though. Superglue can be bulked up into shapes using baking soda & cotton balls or q tips, and refined with a dremel but will probably crack off yet again next time it hits a rock or something. )

Years ago I remember doing sort of the opposite-taking the big Mirrolure plugs with the giant plastic lip-grindinf it down. Wasn't really worth the work. 

Sand the lip down flush, put some lead shot in the back, fish it backwards like a pencil.

Posted (edited)

Janns Netcraft sells lips. They brought this Crystal minnow back to life with a hacksaw and some adhesive.

80A7C6E2-9758-4373-BFFA-4E7034DE8514.jpeg

Edited by cheech

As said: just make a new lipless version.  ADD: if some lip is left- round it off with a file/sand paper and use a heat gun to bend it back--it becomes a wake version.

To replace requires an accurate saw cut and a replacement lip.  There are many choices besides the pre made catalog lips

1 hour ago, Joe Paranee said:

Throw it out time is to short to fish lures that do not run correctly 

Do buy a replacement! For sure!

Don’t have to toss it out though. It could make a teaser delivery device! Keep the front hook and tie a teaser directly to the rear hanger.

Load it with lead or liquid. Through wire it and epoxy the outside. Try something different! (During the winter of course!) 

———

Add a trolling sinker to the front eye. Flip it around so the formerly lipped end is the rear & the eyes are at the back. Spray paint white or pink. Add a fancy feather dressed hook. Whammo- squid plug!! Like a reverse Atom. 

I have tried repairing them and gave up.  I prefer the plugs with no plastic lib like the Stan Gibbs swimmer.  Much more durable and catches just as many bass!  Less weeds also!