Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Sept 26 - Oct 2

Rate this topic

84 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a common communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. Having this information in one thread benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters. The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own fish reports.   This is the fifth year for this type of approach. Post your success or skunks, either way, black or white, zero to hero, let us all know if the bite is good or bad.  Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel we have at our disposal to predict where the better fishing will be tomorrow.  

It will be a good week to ascertain the remnant effects from last Fridays wave and wind surges.

More schoolie bass and bluefish should show up in the mix along with denser bait.  

Hey yall, first post on here, just moved into the area for school last month. Been having some fun with schoolies at night, mainly fishing western RI/ eastern CT. Also randomly caught a seabass plugging at night which I thought was pretty funny. Seems like there's a lot of albies around. Hopefully all the bait I've been seeing will bring in some more bass the next week or two. 

5 hours ago, Quonnie said:

Slot fish all day on the fly

4-6 ‘ of water 

just a blast

So nice to hear good news on your last trip.

You certainly deserve it. You put your time on the water.

You always listen to my advise..... lol

11 hours ago, dRigg13 said:

Hey yall, first post on here, just moved into the area for school last month. Been having some fun with schoolies at night, mainly fishing western RI/ eastern CT. Also randomly caught a seabass plugging at night which I thought was pretty funny. Seems like there's a lot of albies around. Hopefully all the bait I've been seeing will bring in some more bass the next week or two. 

Welcome. Good choice in school location. Enjoy the next couple weeks of fishing, should be about as good as it gets.

Very windy this morning, rough surf, a little treacherous as the tide came in this morning. Had a few slot fish before conditions chased me off the rocks. 

What's with people out fishing off rocks the in jeans and sneakers? There's big surf, lots of spray, these guys are running around on the rocks on every big wave to avoid getting splashed. Gotta be prepared to get wet in conditions like this, I never understand it. 

Surfed a popular south county fishing spot on Friday. It was pretty enlightening to the actual structure that gets fished. A kind of slab/rock pile that is probably 8-10 ft (maybe shallower) next to deep water. Have always kind of thought it was the case but interesting to see head high plus waves reveal. 

Same spot had 3-5 inch bait on the inside which I mistook as sand the first time I took a ride in over it. Some sporadic top water blow up’s just on the edge of the surf zone and saw a large blue get taken on some rocks. Guys were trying to fish but I can’t imagine why especially since half of them were in shorts and sneakers. Any Striper unlucky enough to to get caught wouldn’t have stood a chance. 

57 mins ago, Finneus said:

Very windy this morning, rough surf, a little treacherous as the tide came in this morning. Had a few slot fish before conditions chased me off the rocks. 

What's with people out fishing off rocks the in jeans and sneakers? There's big surf, lots of spray, these guys are running around on the rocks on every big wave to avoid getting splashed. Gotta be prepared to get wet in conditions like this, I never understand it. 

See my report above….

Wild that there is no fear or understanding of the ocean. Over Head high surf on the outside still had guys standing on the edge of the rocks and trying to fish on Friday, in sneakers. Waves were breaking up and over the rocks and destroying people. Lucky no one went in….

22 hours ago, AClarke said:

See my report above….

Wild that there is no fear or understanding of the ocean. Over Head high surf on the outside still had guys standing on the edge of the rocks and trying to fish on Friday, in sneakers. Waves were breaking up and over the rocks and destroying people. Lucky no one went in….

I saw someone go in. Ran down to help him but he managed to climb back out on his own. He was properly geared up with spikes and clothing but that was some sporty surf.

He ended up with a snapped rod for his trouble. Could've been much worse.

On 9/26/2022 at 11:19 AM, AClarke said:

See my report above….

They will end up getting swept in and drown. Seems like there’s a few on the news every year. Some of the people probably can’t even swim. 

Just now, z-man said:

They will end up getting swept in and drown. Seems like there’s a few on the news every year. Some of the people probably can’t even swim. 

I usually hear about someone off the rocks in Gansett or Ocean drive in newport. I am surprised there arent more issues at the breachways

Posted (edited)

Nice chunky 23in from this morning. Couple of schoolies and missed on albies/chubs all afternoon. They were keyed in on silver sides, threw everything I had at em.

20220927_091505.jpg

Edited by VitaminDee

I hit an albie spot for sunrise - a dead sea. 

Some decent bait but no hard tails on it. Conditions were certainly good enough.