TBYRD

How to target steelhead amongst all the kings

9 posts in this topic

Just curious if it’s possible and if so,  what methods/offerings have worked for you?

Fishing the DSR for the second week of October. 

I tied up a few estaz eggs and will be attempting to create some milking otter eggs when I get the materials soon. 

C07BB7D3-319F-4E0B-AB35-F8CFF39E6F9D.jpeg

I have always had bicatch, have caught kings while trolling for walleye with worm rigs, and shad fishing with tiny #1 Dick Nite spoons which have tiny #8 siwash hooks.

Find a run with spawning salmon and fish a glo bug behind them in the tail of the run.

I've had luck in DSR with chartreuse in the morning and purple in the pm.  Yours should all work at DSR. If you tie your own add purple and tan ones (separate colors).  Let us know how you do.

FR

From my many years of fishing the DSR, the best way to target steelhead is just nymph or swing like you would for trout. You may hook a salmon but it will usually be in the mouth because they actually hit it. Be careful when you finish the drift, don’t lift the rod tip quickly because that’s when snags can occur. It’s hard to see steelhead so don’t try to sight fish them. They will swim with salmon and behind them so don’t let that stop you if you see salmon. 

I use a lot of egg flies (yarn) but fish estaz as well. Change colors to see if they are keyed in on anything specific. I liked fishing yellow as the day got later, not sure if it matters but it sometimes seemed to work. 

I also tied rusher type stone flies and carried some natural stuff like pheasant tails or hares ear. I’ve gotten some nice browns that way on occasion.

good luck, I’m heading up in November.

Tried to tie some milking eggs and crystal meth sucker spawn. 
Read they were good for steelies. 

41C67BC7-93B6-4761-9E11-6B2C76C6F551.jpeg

I sight cast to them. I look and find where they are. Sit there and fish em till they bite. I love it when they are under the kings actively feeding on eggs. I’ll fish a natural color bead.   If it’s just a steelie chilling you can try multiple things to see how they react. Sometimes they will complete reject it, other times they’ll turn on it. 

Be mindful of your hook gap with your otter eggs. Tough to bury the hook in their jaw when gap is too shallow.   Great looking flies. They will work. 

Plenty of kings….

lost one steelie behind me in 6” of water  :eek:
Damn things are mental!!

Love it 

1DA385EB-7C56-44EF-993A-B0F00158ADA3.png