Gully

Best back bay fishing in south jersey

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Been working in wildwood for the past 2 months. There’s a lotta water, a lotta bridges and a lot of opportunity to score. Looks like a skiff would be a fantastic platform there. I don’t normally fish south of barnegat inlet. Not looking for spots. Just a good convo about some light tackle opportunities..  it looks like there’s some very obvious areas to hit and then some dead water or very skinny spots to avoid. 

Every where in the back down there has something good, some time, during most of the fishable months of the year. In no particular order:  tog, sheepshead, flounder, stripers, weakies, blues, sea bass, “junk fish”, bait like spot, bunker, mullet, silversides, great crabbing

And yes a skiff is excellent for the skinny waters back there

Bridges can be good incoming or outgoing depending on time of year, bait present and species targeted

Just spent last wknd down there fishing both bridges and banks.  I skunked entirely but I will say the bait was thick and fish were blowing up on them in every spot I visited.  The entire water column was covered.  I threw all the usual stuff I have success with in Ocean and Monmouth counties but for whatever reason none if it worked down there.  

7 mins ago, fishless said:

Just spent last wknd down there fishing both bridges and banks.  I skunked entirely but I will say the bait was thick and fish were blowing up on them in every spot I visited.  The entire water column was covered.  I threw all the usual stuff I have success with in Ocean and Monmouth counties but for whatever reason none if it worked down there.  

Operator error!  

thanks for the feedback fellas. Anybody fish farther up in the many creeks feeding the bays and marshes?  I love a good white perch bite!  Even a mixed bag of fresh n saltwater fishies..  :hooked:

4 mins ago, Gully said:

Operator error!  

Completely plausible.    Go up stream with bait and try for perch.  Surely you'll catch a striper.  

17 hours ago, fishless said:

When there is so much bait around it makes sense getting a bite would be difficult. So this is what happened and take what you want from it. I was fishing land based for tog and hooked a short tog while reeling up it was circled by a larger fish I couldn't identify. A while later hooked another short once again and it was circled on the way up by a 20" or so striper. A different day while reeling up my bait (green crab) it was followed by spot. So you think "yeah so what?". While this is happening there are shiners everywhere around me being hit by I believe baby bluefish. But I not seeing the 20" striper hitting these small blues while their on the surface. We dropped a sabiki rig and hooked a decent sized spot which we released our curiosity satisfied.

What does all that mean your guess is as good as mine. Would that 20" striper rather have the spot or the baby blue or which ever one he could catch. How would I approach trying to catch something other than tog? I would go with a sabiki and catch what bait fish I could and live line it. This all took place around hard structure with deep water and good current. You would be lucky to get a decent fish to the net without breaking it off on structure.

Happy to hear anybody's input on the above.

38 mins ago, squidder 329 said:

When there is so much bait around it makes sense getting a bite would be difficult.

This was the case.  Bait spraying everywhere.  My friend who invited me down had been on a good bite until I arrived.  I think what he was saying was the bait had increased by double compared to his last outing.  Nothing we had available to throw was going to work no matter how long we kept at it.  Then my buddy starts talking about picking up a cast net in the AM so we can live line and see if that makes a difference the next night.  We did not do that opting instead to try different spots but the results were the same.      

Posted (edited)

19 hours ago, Gully said:

Operator error!  

thanks for the feedback fellas. Anybody fish farther up in the many creeks feeding the bays and marshes?  I love a good white perch bite!  Even a mixed bag of fresh n saltwater fishies..  :hooked:

I don't fish there but there's a good YouTube channel that fishes that area for all species down there at all the spots including deep in the back. Lots of good info. Fishing609

Edited by adams54

1 hour ago, squidder 329 said:

When there is so much bait around it makes sense getting a bite would be difficult. So this is what happened and take what you want from it. I was fishing land based for tog and hooked a short tog while reeling up it was circled by a larger fish I couldn't identify. A while later hooked another short once again and it was circled on the way up by a 20" or so striper. A different day while reeling up my bait (green crab) it was followed by spot. So you think "yeah so what?". While this is happening there are shiners everywhere around me being hit by I believe baby bluefish. But I not seeing the 20" striper hitting these small blues while their on the surface. We dropped a sabiki rig and hooked a decent sized spot which we released our curiosity satisfied.

What does all that mean your guess is as good as mine. Would that 20" striper rather have the spot or the baby blue or which ever one he could catch. How would I approach trying to catch something other than tog? I would go with a sabiki and catch what bait fish I could and live line it. This all took place around hard structure with deep water and good current. You would be lucky to get a decent fish to the net without breaking it off on structure.

Happy to hear anybody's input on the above.

Liveline peanuts if you want to catch nice weaks. Couple shops in cmc have aquariums full of live spot if u want to catch nice Stripers 

the need for live bait changes as weather changes in awhile. 

there are times and spots that artificials will work. Can’t just chuck stuff in water like above Long Beach island

1 hour ago, adams54 said:

I don't fish there but there's a good YouTube channel that fishes that area for all species down there at all the spots including deep in the back. Lots of good info. Fishing609

I’ve seen his content.