Mr.Belmar

TA Clip Failures

Rate this topic

89 posts in this topic

So I was out this morning- first cast, all the way out - plus some (I was in the inlet and let the tide take the plug out further) and FISH ON! So I set the hook and feel the fishes weight and then - just like that- nothing!! 

I reel in and nothing! It was dark out and I figured a blue fish cut the line. Upon further inspection at home, it appears the polymer knot slipped off the TA Clip! And I tie and check and test my knots often, they are tight enough that they don’t slide around easily

I’m bummed I missed the fish, even more that I lost my plug! It was one of my own, I can make another- but it had sentimental value…

anyways- curious about anyone else’s experience with TA Clip failures?

Also- what alternatives do you prefer, if any? I have used these for many many years without failure, before that I used duo-clips which I didn’t like too much. Is this just a one off?? Or does it happen often? 

and if you tie direct (which I’m not too excited about, but might consider) - how do you go about it? Do you start with a new leader each time, extra long and cut as you go??

FDD3882C-6215-4558-8C28-A309707F4E1D.jpeg.1393fd5ca225f661a4af27758e67b3a7.jpeg

I think this is pretty rare, during the day you’ll probably notice your knot out of alignment and can straighten it out between casts, nights a little harder, you need to feel between casts. Simple fix…drop of superglue on your palomar/clip. Also, really cranking the palomar TIGHT. Should keep your palomar captive and in alignment.

I've never had a failure with the TA clips. Truthfully,  I don't see where you suffered a clip failure,  it looks like it was  a knot failure. 

Never had a failure with the TAs but I also make sure that the knot is on the bottom of the clip in your picture.  A knot coud slip off but I have not had that happen. 

Posted (edited)

3 mins ago, pakalolo said:

clinch knot and tighten it HARD.

Yup, my normal is on the clip I use the improved clinch knot, on the barrel swivel  just a standard clinch knot.

H⚔️H

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

How can that be considered a ‘clip’ failure?

from pix it appears to definitely be a knot issue……..knot does not seem to be cinched up tight enough 

The other thing that makes no sense to me is how is it even possible for the line to slide off the clip if properly tied?  How did it slide between two pieces of metal that are touching and then make a 45 degree turn??

Any chance you tied it on backwards?  Easy to do in the dark.

Only issue I ever had was a fish once removed a plug from a well worn Breakaway during the fight.   I was a bit miffed by that one.  It was a nice herring run fish.  I only use TA clips now.

58 mins ago, Mr.Belmar said:

So I was out this morning- first cast, all the way out - plus some (I was in the inlet and let the tide take the plug out further) and FISH ON! So I set the hook and feel the fishes weight and then - just like that- nothing!! 

I reel in and nothing! It was dark out and I figured a blue fish cut the line. Upon further inspection at home, it appears the polymer knot slipped off the TA Clip! And I tie and check and test my knots often, they are tight enough that they don’t slide around easily

I’m bummed I missed the fish, even more that I lost my plug! It was one of my own, I can make another- but it had sentimental value…

anyways- curious about anyone else’s experience with TA Clip failures?

Also- what alternatives do you prefer, if any? I have used these for many many years without failure, before that I used duo-clips which I didn’t like too much. Is this just a one off?? Or does it happen often? 

and if you tie direct (which I’m not too excited about, but might consider) - how do you go about it? Do you start with a new leader each time, extra long and cut as you go??

FDD3882C-6215-4558-8C28-A309707F4E1D.jpeg.1393fd5ca225f661a4af27758e67b3a7.jpeg

I had a blue fish jumped the clip that was hooked on a zigzag as I got across the shore in front of me about to grab the leader the fish went crazy thrashing around and all of a sudden it was gone but the clip was there and it was f***** around so the blue fish made it flip and then slip right off, I could see that happening because the wire on the front of a zigzag is thin and it was just the right velocity and direction it can flip right through there and slide right off, that doesn't happen with screw eyes because of the wire thickness is what is way more then what's on an SS zig zag.

H⚔️H

I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying it.

I am really not a fan of the paperclip style speed connectors.

I’ve wanted to like them because so many anglers sing their praises but I really haven’t seen any advantages to them myself.

I have had much better success with tried and true Duo Lock snaps which have already served me well for 50 years.