jjdbike

Tri-Tip on the kettle

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

Wife wanted steak yesterday. Eyed some well marveled Prime Delmonicos, but $19.99 a lb was too much. I honor of our upcoming move to CA I picked a nice evenly shaped prime Tri-Tip that's grain was pretty consistant. I removed some bits of silver skin and trimmed it a bit. I beat it like it stole something w/ metal tenderizing hammer. Rubbed w/ a good olive oil, a space of bourbon, and Meat Church Holy Cow dry rub. Wrapped tight in plastic film wrap and into the fridge for 4 hours.

Also cut red & yellow bell peppers, sweet onion, and a core of pineapple.

Prepped the Weber kettle for two zone. Put some hickory chunks on hot coals. Seared for a couple mins on both sides. then indirect till medium. Wife likes it better that way & I read Tri-tip is better cooked beyond rare. Wrapped in 2 layers of HD aluminum foil w/ a few pats of butter to rest.

Seared peppers, onion and pineapple on direct then finished on indirect side.

Served w/ side of steamed rice.

It was very tasty. This was my 2nd attempt at Tri-Tip. 1st was over cooked and not very flavorful. This one was a winner.

See pics below. Last pic is what was left over. You can see how juicy it was. 

JD

IMG_0664.jpeg

IMG_0665.jpeg

IMG_0666.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the a lot less money I would go with  whole n y boneless strip.. cut  it into thirds and vacuume seal it …cooked on the Weber kettle with two half moons of coal or cook the whole thing using the horseshoe of coal and have a party … lol lol lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Surf bomber said:

For the a lot less money I would go with  whole n y boneless strip.. cut  it into thirds and vacuume seal it …cooked on the Weber kettle with two half moons of coal or cook the whole thing using the horseshoe of coal and have a party … lol lol lol 

Thanks Surf,

Hiw does that cut compare in flavor, juiciness, tenderness and texture to Tri Tip? Would I cook it the sane way?

JD 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, Midnightpass said:

Looks good Jim... About my favorite piece of meat...

Butch

Thank you Butch.

I’m sure you CA guys have a lot more experience w/ this cut. I want to up my tri tip game.

How do you do yours?

Any tri tip tips or suggestions? 
In my opinion, it seemed to benefit from being hammered (it was very tender). The pre treatment of the olive oil and bourbon, along w/ the rub seemed to add nice flavor, but that’s based upon this one result. In my opinion it definitely Benitez from a good kiss of smoke, though I know not everyone enjoys that flavor. 
What I thought was interesting about this specific piece was, the grain all seemed to run in the relative same general direction. Others I’ve seen run in at least two different directions, adding a challenge to slicing it so it’s tender.

This one, after hammered, was fairly consistent thickness wise, which again, seemed to be somewhat unique. That fact was exaggerated when put on grill. It’s seemed to shrink in size while puffing up a bit, if that makes sense.

I generally steaks done rare to medium rare. I read that tri tip has better texture when cooked to medium. Have you found that to be true? Mine was def medium and texture and everything else was good.

Am I correct that there’s a good deal of variation from one piece to another, similar to brisket?

JD

Edited by jjdbike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get an "untrimmed" Tri-tip.  Don't trim until after cooked and rested.  Go to a vet supply house and get a horse syringe and needle.  Or you can buy syringes made for this technique.  Dunno what your favorite marinade flavor profile is, but thick marinades make it harder to inject.  Use the injection technique of a dentist injecting novocaine for best coverage & spread.  Indirect heat and low & slow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bass11 said:

Get an "untrimmed" Tri-tip.  Don't trim until after cooked and rested.  Go to a vet supply house and get a horse syringe and needle.  Or you can buy syringes made for this technique.  Dunno what your favorite marinade flavor profile is, but thick marinades make it harder to inject.  Use the injection technique of a dentist injecting novocaine for best coverage & spread.  Indirect heat and low & slow.

Thanks bass,

I inject my my pork butts and brisket. Hadn't considered injecting tri tip as I think of it more like a steak than a roast. I will try it.

 

Low and slow would seem to be easier on my stick burner than my 22" Weber Kettle. Low and slow might also help if a specific piece happens to be tough. I'm not that good w/ the Kettle yet as far as fueling and controlling a longer lower temp cook. 

 

I suppose I could start w/ small amount of fuel, and wood chunks to start to bring to temp, then add chimney of white hot coals and reverse sear. I do believe the sear - char adds some flavor that I like. 

 

Best regards,

JD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Thank you Butch.

I’m sure you CA guys have a lot more experience w/ this cut. I want to up my tri tip game.

How do you do yours?

Any tri tip tips or suggestions? 
In my opinion, it seemed to benefit from being hammered (it was very tender). The pre treatment of the olive oil and bourbon, along w/ the rub seemed to add nice flavor, but that’s based upon this one result. In my opinion it definitely Benitez from a good kiss of smoke, though I know not everyone enjoys that flavor. 
What I thought was interesting about this specific piece was, the grain all seemed to run in the relative same general direction. Others I’ve seen run in at least two different directions, adding a challenge to slicing it so it’s tender.

This one, after hammered, was fairly consistent thickness wise, which again, seemed to be somewhat unique. That fact was exaggerated when put on grill. It’s seemed to shrink in size while puffing up a bit, if that makes sense.

I generally steaks done rare to medium rare. I read that tri tip has better texture when cooked to medium. Have you found that to be true? Mine was def medium and texture and everything else was good.

Am I correct that there’s a good deal of variation from one piece to another, similar to brisket?

JD

Jim... I do mine pretty simple... Salt, pepper and garlic powder... No marinade... I get the kamado blazing hot... Toss on the meat... Close the lid for 90sec.... Open, and turn the meat 90 degrees... Close, 90 sec... Open and flip the piece... 90 sec.... Open and rotate 90 degrees... Close the lid, and shutoff all draft openings, and cook until desired doneness... I shoot for med-rare... Cover and rest, of course... I slice fairly thin... And yes, I do find the grain changes can make it a little difficult to cut crossgrain... Thin cuts help with my sloppy cutting skills... I might try your "hammering" technique.... It sounds interesting... Basically I treat it like a big, fat steak, but thin sliced... My son does it my way, but will marinade and do it slow as well... Both good... Any way yours sounds amazing...

Butch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Midnightpass said:

Jim... I do mine pretty simple... Salt, pepper and garlic powder... No marinade... I get the kamado blazing hot... Toss on the meat... Close the lid for 90sec.... Open, and turn the meat 90 degrees... Close, 90 sec... Open and flip the piece... 90 sec.... Open and rotate 90 degrees... Close the lid, and shutoff all draft openings, and cook until desired doneness... I shoot for med-rare... Cover and rest, of course... I slice fairly thin... And yes, I do find the grain changes can make it a little difficult to cut crossgrain... Thin cuts help with my sloppy cutting skills... I might try your "hammering" technique.... It sounds interesting... Basically I treat it like a big, fat steak, but thin sliced... My son does it my way, but will marinade and do it slow as well... Both good... Any way yours sounds amazing...

Butch

Good to know.

Thank much brother!

Best regards,

JD,

P.S. See you in Nov.

 

Edited by jjdbike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

They’ve gotten a lot smaller here but here’s a good one I did a while back. 

029CD79F-94B0-4EE4-82AE-9D6DD9B4B80F.jpeg

23FCFFC0-7D03-427D-A669-7AA8041AE82E.jpeg

88A06F13-AD65-4C6D-9958-557636E30F21.jpeg

Hey huge,

That looks delicious!

Looks like the gran is pretty consistant in a similar direction.... Or, are those just grill grate marks?

Specifically how do you do your tri tip?

JD

Edited by jjdbike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think it’s just grill marks. I did a brisket style rub and did it indirect with apple or cherry mixed with oak. Hence the coloring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice! Thanks.

I've got to figure out a way together more indirect w/ my 22" Weber kettle. When I have hot side screaming to sear, the cool side is still pretty hot.

JD

3 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

Think it’s just grill marks. I did a brisket style rub and did it indirect with apple or cherry mixed with oak. Hence the coloring. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jjdbike said:

I've got to figure out a way together more indirect w/ my 22" Weber kettle. When I have hot side screaming to sear, the cool side is still pretty hot.

2  - 22” kettles 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2022 at 5:56 AM, bass11 said:

Get an "untrimmed" Tri-tip.  Don't trim until after cooked and rested.  Go to a vet supply house and get a horse syringe and needle.  Or you can buy syringes made for this technique.  Dunno what your favorite marinade flavor profile is, but thick marinades make it harder to inject.  Use the injection technique of a dentist injecting novocaine for best coverage & spread.  Indirect heat and low & slow.

Love the novacaine analogy & I get what you're saying about how to move the syringe around on each injection.

3 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

Think it’s just grill marks. I did a brisket style rub and did it indirect with apple or cherry mixed with oak. Hence the coloring. 

Yes I'm loving Cherry wood.

2 hours ago, JimW said:

2  - 22” kettles 

Ha, that's funny but not in the cards for me.

 

As far as doing two zone well in a Weber 22, in vids I've seen people use a shelf to raise the food above the grate and move further away from the coals. I wonder if raising it up higher in the dome would expose the meat to a lower enough temp to make that shelf worth it.

Your thoughts?

JD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.