bhorsley

Uatuma River Amazonia report

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Forgot to mention--this is the hardest/technical fly fishing I have done.  Think 50 to 80' casts trying to get into the brush.  Casting is pretty much non stop in 95 temps.  

24 mins ago, Livefreeordie said:

What are the other 2 fish? I recognize the peacocks but am not quite sure of the others.

The shad like fish is called an sardinata they have a local word for it 

the other is piranha 

Posted (edited)

Absolutely awesome. Mind sharing logistics of getting there?   Total time in transit, different modes of transportation, etc.  I’ve always been curious about those trips and the planes trains automobiles and boats needed to get there have intimidated me.  And how was the bug situation?  Mosquitoes and other annoying critters an issue?  Thanks in advance. 

Edited by ryc72
Added question

Posted (edited)

24 mins ago, ryc72 said:

Absolutely awesome. Mind sharing logistics of getting there?   Total time in transit, different modes of transportation, etc.  I’ve always been curious about those trips and the planes trains automobiles and boats needed to get there have intimidated me.  And how was the bug situation?  Mosquitoes and other annoying critters an issue?  Thanks in advance. 

Pre covid it was very easy to get to Manaus.  American and Delta flew the non stop.  Micheal Williams did a lot of work to find the easiest way to get to Manus.

Here is how I got to Manus --I left form Norfolk VA to Dulles VA then non stop Panama City Panama and a long lay over and flew over night to Manus.  We arrived in Manus about 3;30 am (?) All of this was on COPA airlines.  An agent of Nomadic Waters met us at the airport and to a near by nice hotel.  We slept in  and had breakfast and lunch at hotel.  About 2;30 boarded a 10 passenger charter plane and took 1 hr 10 minute flight to a town on the Uatuma River.  Micheal met us there and it was on to the boat.  We steamed up river most of the afternoon and night.  Return trip about the same except we had a full day in Manus before we flew out at 3:50 am.  Yes it is long days travel but over all pretty damn easy.

Bitting bugs are non issue--there are none.  Water is too tannin for mosquitos.  There are plenty of non biting bugs around the lights at night.  We even had a may fly hatch.  Lots of bees but no worries.  One night we had Cabo Wasp invade the boat.  We moved to the upper deck which was inclosed.  Cabo Wasp come out at night and they are nothing to play with.  I had one land on my forearm and stung and bit me ---it put me on my knees and hurt for about three hours.  Next day like I have never been stung.  Glad it was me we had there folks who were sensitive to bee stings.   You don't leave the boat unless you visit a village.    Photo is of a Cabo Wasp nest

_BDH1875-Edit.jpg

Edited by bhorsley

Did you have occasion to use wire tippets? I don't see wire in front of the piranha.

Do fly colors matter? The water looks pretty stained.

No wire  you maybe get bite off maybe twice a week.  
colors were fire tiger   Chartreuse and white 

chartreuse, yellow/red, yellow or all white were equally effective