beachmaster danny question

mssz

hi all,

i dont fish metal lips at all, but i decided to try to start and start with a danny. i get the sense that older hardwood beachmasters are kindof the gold standard re: castability and balance, so i was thinking if i was gonna have one, i should start there. before i go begging for someone to sell me a used one in bst, i was wondering what sizes and weights he offered/offers, and if any of them were produced with a single belly hook, as id prefer that. is there such a thing as a 2 oz 6.5" with a single belly hook?

if i found one with two and wanted to remove the rear belly, would it still swim alright if i compensated for the weight with a small worm weight or something, or would that destroy the action? thanks in advance - m

Edited by mssz

Beachmaster Dannys are made in two sizes: @ 2 1/4 oz. and 3 1/4 oz. Both models have two belly trebles and either a treble, a single dressed siwash  or flag on the rear. Rear setup is usually the anglers choice. The 2 1/4 oz. is tuned for optimum swimming action with two, cut 3/0 oz. trebles on belly with a 5/0  dressed siwash (open eye, no split ring) on rear. The larger 3 1/4 oz. requires cut 4/0 trebles on belly and a 5/0 or 6/0 dressed siwash on the rear. A lot of guys put a flag on the rear on both models. Good luck

Edited by VanStaalSteve

thanks very much steve that pretty much sums it up for me, but rear set up  you mean only one treble on the rear hanger?

1 hour ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Beachmaster Dannys are made in two sizes: @ 2 1/4 oz. and 3 1/4 oz. Both models have two belly trebles and either a treble, a single dressed siwash  or flag on the rear. Rear setup is usually the anglers choice. The 2 1/4 oz. is tuned for optimum swimming action with two, cut 3/0 oz. trebles on belly with a 5/0  dressed siwash (open eye, no split ring) on rear. The larger 3 1/4 oz. requires cut 4/0 trebles on belly and a 5/0 or 6/0 dressed siwash on the rear. A lot of guys put a flag on the rear on both models. Good luck

tight lines to ya

51 mins ago, mssz said:

thanks very much steve that pretty much sums it up for me, but rear set up  you mean only one treble on the rear hanger?

tight lines to ya

Your welcome. No, I mean in addition to the two belly trebles the fisherman has the option to put either one of the three choices on the Dannys rear;

- treble ( usually dressed with bucktail)

- single siwash style hook usually dressed with bucktails or hackle feathers, or.

- flag of bucktail or hackle feathers

I would absolutely not fish it with one treble. 

I would use the two belly trebles ( cut 3/0 VMC 4X) and a VMC 5/0 Siwash with sparse bucktail. 

Edited by VanStaalSteve