paularchibald8

Surf belt rod holder

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

Hey all looking to figure out what the best option to make a rod holder for a surf belt is?  I’ve bought 2 that had holders but neither fit as the butt of the rod I built is larger than 1.5”     I saw some people use D rings but was looking at maybe making something a bit more sturdy like the ones with a piece of pipe but not really sure what my options are or what is best    Just want to make it easier handling big fish in the surf without one it’s a real pain 

I saw somewhere that someone had taken a section of pvc pipe and instead of cutting it all the way through they stopped and left a long finger so to speak off of the top. The finger was then gently heated and bent backwards on the tube to form a clip of sorts then riveted or bolted to the tube near the bottom creating a belt loop. Rod goes in the tube with tube on belt via finger loop. It was years ago. Sorry I don’t have a picture. I think cpvc conduit was used for the material. 

I have seen a drop pocket sort of rod holder someplace.  It had a pocket that dropped below the belt loop made of nylon.

It seemed like a good enough idea for those that don't like working a popper between the legs.  Sorry I don't recall who had them

9 mins ago, paularchibald8 said:

How do you have that attached to the belt if I may ask?

I drilled 4 holes making a rectangle. They are sightly taller than the width of a dive belt, and less than that apart. Then, I used a saw to make a few passes between the top to bottom holes to open up a space for the belt to pass through. I hit all the cuts and edges with a file then a file wrapped in sandpaper to smooth things out. The tube slides on the belt, but locks up when both ends of the belt are pulled. Make sense?

18 mins ago, paularchibald8 said:

How do you have that attached to the belt if I may ask?

B8BD25D8-93DB-45C5-B774-51FD3459F5DD.jpeg

8751DBA2-223A-4B6B-8BB3-57AE7E49884D.jpeg

Slot for the reel looks brilliant. Does it add as much stability as I'm imagining it would?

Posted (edited)

I have gone through a couple of iterations of this for spinning surf belt.

The white and blue panels below are cut from the tops of Rubbermaid storage boxes.

The white one was the original and designed for my shorts belt to me threaded through it.

When I switched to a Batman utility belt concept around a Flatlander 2-tube, I needed something that would hang on a thick and wide LE duty belt. With the stiffer belt, I was able to make the blue one slimmer and used a knife sheath belt clip. 

obviously, the black rod tube itself is a factory design that you can get anywhere.  

The gray tube is a fly rod-friendly model that I am going to use on a new belt that will center around a stripping basket. Plan to use the same belt clip as the blue one. 

16286066-5182-4156-B5B0-B88AB2396A13.jpeg

18FC92FF-D22E-419A-B93E-E3D54C278C18.jpeg

17239C99-5DE1-4B04-A3E3-E4038B9ADEA0.jpeg

Edited by flyangler

Thank you sir. The dive belt is surprisingly rigid when pulled taught around the waist.  It’s stable enough for me. I have one slot, the rear, opened up a little more to allow a slight cant forward, sort of like a scabbard. 

15 mins ago, adam42 said:

Slot for the reel looks brilliant. Does it add as much stability as I'm imagining it would?

Just now, D1fishr said:

Thank you sir. The dive belt is surprisingly rigid when pulled taught around the waist.  It’s stable enough for me. I have one slot, the rear, opened up a little more to allow a slight cant forward, sort of like a scabbard. 

4 mins ago, flyangler said:

I have gone through a couple of iterations of this for spinning surf belt.

The white and blue panels below are cut from the tops of Rubbermaid storage boxes.

The white one was the original and designed for my shorts belt to me threaded through it.

When I switched to a Batman utility belt concept around a Flatlander 2-tube, I needed something that would hang on a thick and wide LE duty belt. With the student belt, I was able to make the blue one slimmer and used a knife sheath belt clip. 

obviously, the black rod tube itself is a factory design that you can get anywhere.  

The gray tube is a fly rod-friendly model that I am going to use on a new belt that will center around a stripping basket. Plan to use the same belt clip as the blue one. 

16286066-5182-4156-B5B0-B88AB2396A13.jpeg

18FC92FF-D22E-419A-B93E-E3D54C278C18.jpeg

17239C99-5DE1-4B04-A3E3-E4038B9ADEA0.jpeg

I like this!  The clip looks like something that would be utilized by law enforcement to secure gear to a belt or vest carrier. 

Posted (edited)

5 mins ago, D1fishr said:

I like this!  The clip looks like something that would be utilized by law enforcement to secure gear to a belt or vest carrier. 

This is the current clip I have for the new version. Those bars you see on the one on the left allow you to adjust for belt with. That can add a lot of lateral stability when it is attached to the belt.

9BD44005-ACCC-41B3-9FE9-AABF2CA9C16C.jpeg.7d53ce09c24055dd39f4995127e7f375.jpeg

Edited by flyangler

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, paularchibald8 said:

Hey all looking to figure out what the best option to make a rod holder for a surf belt is?  I’ve bought 2 that had holders but neither fit as the butt of the rod I built is larger than 1.5”     I saw some people use D rings but was looking at maybe making something a bit more sturdy like the ones with a piece of pipe but not really sure what my options are or what is best    Just want to make it easier handling big fish in the surf without one it’s a real pain 

I know this is no aligned with your question but it is relevant to certain fishing gear.

The topic always comes up here that goes like this' if you don't swim or dunk your reel why do you need a sealed reel?'

Your search for a surf belt rod holder is the reason some, including myself use a sealed reel.  It just makes releasing fish in the surf and not dragging them up the beach much more practical and allows you to go about your sport without apprehension.

I don't do a rod holder because I just set the rod down in the surf to twist out the hooks, nice and easy.  

Edited by chisler