rudyc

Grease on Drag Washers??

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Not a fan of teflon washers.  Actually Cal's grease on felt is perfectly fine if you're not after fish that make high speed blistering runs.

I use smooth drag washers with cals. In my testing, without grease it takes more force for the drag to start slipping and you'll have a slightly higher amount of drag. With grease, it's more linear (smoother), but less pressure.

My tranx 300 produced the following:

Stock washers: 26lb initial, dropped to a jerky 16-19lb

Smooth drag: 22lbs initial, dropped to a pretty smooth 20lbs

Smooth drag with cals: 19lb initial, barely dropped, buttery smooth

17 hours ago, rudyc said:

I'm going to replace the drag washers on my -"new to me" Penn 712z reel- with Carbon Drag washers.

I see mentioned that some folks are greasing the washers?

I have never done this before and was wondering if I should apply grease to the washers and if so, what kind of grease??

Thanks in advance

Carbons are designed to be run dry as I was told, never made sense to me to grease something that needs friction.

I run mine dry, never added grease.

They perform great. 

H⚔️H

16 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

Carbons are designed to be run dry as I was told, never made sense to me to grease something that needs friction.

I run mine dry, never added grease.

They perform great. 

H⚔️H

I have heard this too…

If you pull your line and the drag is jerky, either on initial or during that's not the best. You can get away with it on heavier lb. test. But not light lines or were your pursuing a 2-8 lb. line tests it does. All my tarpon conventional reels have always been teflon

From smooth drags webpage:

Smoooooth Drag Installation Instructions…

Courtesy of Jack Erskine’s Precision Reel Engineering,
Cairns, Australia

Carbontex® can be installed dry OR with a LIGHT coating of Cal’s Universal Reel and Drag grease. This is the only grease we recommend. It can be used on the drags and everywhere else in the reel grease is desired. The majority of anglers prefer the greased drag system. All old grease should be cleaned out of the reel before re-greasing with Cal’s grease. A LIGHT coating of Cal’s grease on the Carbontex® is recommended if you are likely to get your reels very wet, it will help waterproof the drag system. Very light means you should be able to leave a finger print in the grease on the surface of the drag. When it comes to drags more grease is NOT better!

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, Mr.Belmar said:

I have heard this too…

In all honesty every time I service one of my reels I wipe off the drag washers and they still have some kind of a film of lubricant on them and I assume that is just from when I put dabs of grease on the main gear and just for normal use eventually it works its way into the drag stack.

At any rate, with me not putting grease on them on purpose none of my drags are jerky they are all smooth.

One thing I should mention here when I sent my Calcutta te 401 to shimano for its Platinum service they replaced the drags with the factory dartanium drag and they greased the drag stack and one drag was needed I hated it, the initial drag was hard to start and the running drag was very light so I removed drag and cleaned it off and it worked perfectly.

It is just my $1.50.

H⚔️H

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

Alan Tani has some tutorials here in the reel maintenance forums. Or you can go direct to his website. 

All carbon fiber in his tutorials get a good slathering of Cal’s. 

15 hours ago, bass11 said:

Not a fan of teflon washers.  Actually Cal's grease on felt is perfectly fine if you're not after fish that make high speed blistering runs.

The Teflon washers that Penn used in its 700 series reels worked very well.  In other applications--particularly conventional reels used for anything bigger than bluefish and bass--I don't care for Teflon, either.

Posted (edited)

On 9/24/2022 at 3:08 PM, EricL said:

i bought a 1lb?  tub of cals.

been like 15 years and still havent used half.

never even dried out.

can literally use it for everything, not just drags.

Where did you get a lb tub?

Edit: nvm found it

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

Posted (edited)

Cals grease is all I use for drag washers. I have to give props to Daiwa for their drags. The smoothest I ever fished of any brand. 

I am trying to find out what grease Daiwa uses to lube their reel internals, and for the drags. I know it’s their proprietary formula, but I would like to buy it. I know it’s white, but it’s much better than the Penn blue grease that I usually use. Anyone know the exact grease? @EricL, how bout you?

Edited by Tagman

I clean and grease my drag washers regularly. The grease reduces the pull needed to get the drag working (more important if I want to fish with a heavier drag setting).