tobiasfrost

Old gear - replace or refurbish

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Hello,

Haven't put a line in the water in probably two decades.  Going to give it a go again to get more fresh air and exercise.  I'll be fishing from shore only and targeting whatever; preferably something edible.  I'll be in Massachusetts north of Boston and plan to check out fishing piers, beaches both sandy and rocky, jetties, etc.

I dug out 4 rods and reels that are borderline ancient and I'm not sure if they are worth cleaning up and trying to use or not.

A Quantum HT6 and HT7.  Quantum is still around.  I believe they are Zebco's slightly better quality label.  I don't have manuals for these and have no idea what the ratio is.  I think one of them still had readable line capacities printed on it but I forgot to write it down.  The third spinning reel is an Alpha Shakespeare of some sort I think.  The print on this one has all but worn away, and it has visible rust on some of the housing screws.

The above are all on 9 foot medium action rods.  I think they were all combo deals and on rods of the same label.  The Alpha Shakespeare specifies 10-25 lb. line but not lure weights.  The HT7 rod specifies 15-25 lb. line and 1-4 oz. weights.

I also have a 9 foot 9-10 weight fly rod and reel that looks brand new.  I don't think I ever caught anything on it and only used if a couple times.  I'd gladly go out with just that but I don't think my shoulder would be happy at first.

Assuming I can clean the reels up and re-grease them sufficiently, would I be better off anyways buying something new?  I don't know if reels in general have improved a lot over the years.

Aside from the fly rod, it would be nice to just have one spinning rod for multiple purposes.  I have to scope out parking and might be walking quite a lot with my gear.  Ideally I'd like to be able to toss things like a sabiki rig off a pier, but also lures/jigs or fish finders with bait into the surf.  I'm not sure how feasible that is on one rod and reel setup though.

I would appreciate any insights or other gear thoughts.  I'm already thinking about things like boots/spikes, neoprene socks, pliers, jaw clamps or whatever they're called, etc.

Tim

Posted (edited)

The development of newer gear doesn’t make the gear you have any less capable of catching fish. I’d fish what I have and if you’re still thinking about some new gear after a few trips, purchase it then. 

Edited by Camhabib

Go with what you got.  If you end up enjoying it and (dare I say) addicted to it, the desire to purchase new gear will happen naturally. 

Spray them down with w-d 40 film fluid, oil up the rollers on bail, fresh line, clean drag washers and fish, same with rods. Most older gear have better components, All reels operate the same, except line retrieval amount/not a big deal.

Clean up what you have, replace the line, and fish.  If your existing gear does the job that you need it to do, no need for change.  If you find it falling short in some respect, then find something new that will do the job better.

But buying new if the old gear meets your needs just leads to a lighter wallet, not to more fish.

Thanks all.  I guess it's time to open the cases and see what they look like.  I should replace the line.  I have no idea what's on them; looks like some heavier mono.  I couldn't find any leftover line besides some Berkley Trilene 10 lb. That's not what's on them of course.

What line should I buy if I might be casting both sandy beaches and rocky areas?  I see people talking about braided lines now.  I don't remember those when I fished before, but back then we fished rock cliffs right on the coast in Maine and hauling even a small striper out successfully was a mix of sweat and luck, so that line on the reels is pretty heavy I think.

Other than that I should get some pretty heavy line to fashion leaders in case I run into blues I guess?

As far as lures/jigs go we never bought much back then.  I found a few black and silver sluggos in a bag that are still nice and soft.  I think there's one or two big lures too, maybe floating ones.  I recall the times we did catch stripers we used a big floating bait rig to keep it off the rocks with clam on it.

Just do it with what you already have.

New members traditionally have to tell a joke.  I guess yours is that a New Englander is willing to spend some money! LOL Welcome aboard the SOL train.

Just now, cheech said:

Just do it with what you already have.

I guess yours is that a New Englander is willing to spend some money! LOL Welcome aboard the SOL train.

You got me there.  I grew up bottom-bouncing walleye on the Missouri.

I prefer my 704Z/10' one piece Horrocks-Ibbotson Power Glass combo over my Super Surf. For me it's just so much more fun using the tools I grew up with.

I hunt the fish for fun, if my fam relied on me to provide fish for dinner I'll hit the A&P on the way home :laugh:

You will also want to check the inside of your rod guides to make sure there are no nicks, or cracks.  Especially the tip.  Clean the reels as mentioned above and put fresh line on them.  If you decide to buy a new rod and/or reel, buy one a quality one that you really want.

59 mins ago, tobiasfrost said:

Thanks all.  I guess it's time to open the cases and see what they look like.  I should replace the line.  I have no idea what's on them; looks like some heavier mono.  I couldn't find any leftover line besides some Berkley Trilene 10 lb. That's not what's on them of course.

What line should I buy if I might be casting both sandy beaches and rocky areas?  I see people talking about braided lines now.  I don't remember those when I fished before, but back then we fished rock cliffs right on the coast in Maine and hauling even a small striper out successfully was a mix of sweat and luck, so that line on the reels is pretty heavy I think.

Other than that I should get some pretty heavy line to fashion leaders in case I run into blues I guess?

As far as lures/jigs go we never bought much back then.  I found a few black and silver sluggos in a bag that are still nice and soft.  I think there's one or two big lures too, maybe floating ones.  I recall the times we did catch stripers we used a big floating bait rig to keep it off the rocks with clam on it.

No problems with picking up a few extra lures though...

Get 1 or 2 SP minnows.  They're not too big, not too small and catch fish.

Well I opened up the Quantum HT7 (I guess HT is for Heat, that's what's on the reel) and it was in amazing shape.  Some of the grease had hardened up a little but there was very little corrosion anywhere.  Cleaned it out and put in fresh grease, got it back together and the break quit.  Opened it up again and found the small plastic clip that goes around the main gear shaft popped off.  I hadn't put it in right; it has tabs that need to sit around a fork.  Glad it was easy enough to see and figure out since I don't have the manual.

The line on it seems OK, but I'm not sure what pound test it is.  I might be pushing my luck but I think I'll give it a go as is.  The guides on the rod feel smooth to me.

I'm planning on grabbing some 30lb test in case the stuff on the reel ends up being damaged, some 50 or 100 lb. for leader material if there's bluefish around, and some fish grips.

For lures I guess I'll grab a sinking popper, a SP minnow, some kind of spoon jig, and some jig heads and hooks because I have a lot of soft bait that's still in fine condition.

I think I'll grab a sabiki rig and stuff for a fish finder / throwing bait.  If I can get decent size mackerel I'd gladly take those home too.

I'd definitely replace the line.  I usually go with 17 or 20lb mono or 20lb Fireline. 

I'll tie a long heavier leader to the mono if it's needed.  Usually 30 or 50lb mono.    

Fireline & other braids u will need a leader.  I usually do a Palomar knot to a swivel then a arm length of mono for the leader.  

Personally, I'd start with mono.  Then see if braid was something that would offer advantages that I needed. 

5 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

I'd definitely replace the line.  I usually go with 17 or 20lb mono or 20lb Fireline. 

I'll tie a long heavier leader to the mono if it's needed.  Usually 30 or 50lb mono.    

Fireline & other braids u will need a leader.  I usually do a Palomar knot to a swivel then a arm length of mono for the leader.  

Personally, I'd start with mono.  Then see if braid was something that would offer advantages that I needed. 

What he said.^

Mono goes bad over not too much time.  Vulnerable to ultraviolet light, plasticizers work out of the line, etc.  30 pound mono is really too heavy for spinning gear.  Something between 14 and 20 is a better bet.

Went to the big box fish and game store and let them talk me into braided.  They put it on the reel for me at least, and added 50lb leader for free.  Couldn't find everything recommended, but plenty to get started.  I got a couple SP minnows in white and mackerel pattern, a sinking popper, some jig heads / hooks to use with the soft bait I still had, a small jigging spoon that will hopefully work when the fish are keyed in on small bait, and a sabiki and squid lure to mess around with at the pier if I'm not having any luck.