WindAndWater

Rod and Reel for AI Drum and Tackle Shop ?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Thinking about running down to AI in VA to try my hand at catching one of those red drum sometime soon. Lost both of the huge drum I hooked down in OBX and Texas years ago and have wanted to finally catch one out of the surf. 

I have a Tica 10’ 2-8 oz spinning rod with a saltist 5000 with #40 braid. That is the only bait set up I have. Really would like to get a second set up just in case I need the extra distance. Not really sure what to go with. Don’t want to buy anything too high end. I don’t do this type of fishing very often. 

Seems like a 12’ conventional rod might be the best way to go? I’m not sure how bad the crowds are down at AI but was thinking about filling whatever reel I go with, probably a Penn or Daiwa 20-30 size reel with #65 braid. It seems like a lot of people like #17 or #20 mono though?

I’ll be coming down from eastern pa and could detour through IRI or ocean city to stop by one of the tackle shops if needed to pick up this rod/reel. Any suggestions for tackle shops that would be able to set me up with this rod and reel? Not sure how much tackle Captain Steve’s b&t or any of the other tackle shops down there are stocked with. 

Appreciate the suggestions. Thanks. 

I catch reds on my surf rod from walmart and reel from Dicks, it has surprisingly held up well to my abuse and it was cheap as well on black friday specials.

All Tackle, Ocean City West will probably have what you need. 

remember…..

you get what you pay for 

Fenwick Tackle has some Tica and Tsunami rods that are nice As far as convential reels someone would have in stock not sure on best bet. It is the end os the season for alot of these shops

Captain Steve's has a big selection for a small shop, I swear they have as much as Bass Pro and is family owned and reasonable prices 

I like all the shops down there but Alltackle will have more conventional surf casting stuff than Atlantic Tackle or Fenwick Tackle. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks. Will check all of these shops recommended and figure something out. Should I even consider a 12’ spinning rod? Or just stick with a conventional rod? 

Edited by WindAndWater

13 mins ago, WindAndWater said:

Thanks. Will check all of these shops recommended and figure something out. Should I even consider a 12’ spinning rod? Or just stick with a conventional rod? 

12’ conventional that can handle 8 + bait is preferred but spinning works too. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks. Leaning towards a Penn Fathom II 15sd with #50 braid and a Penn Carnage III 12’. It seems like the ratings changed from the Carnage II to the III. Did Penn change blanks with the III model? Not really sure how both rods are different. 

Edited by WindAndWater

Posted (edited)

Penn makes some great reels. I have some and love them. That being said, I don’t have any Penn rods, so I can’t recommend them. 
….my thoughts are, buy a reel from a reel company, buy a rod from a rod company. Penn is a reel company. Did you look at Tica? St. Croix?

Might find some custom heavers on the BST board. 

Edited by Catskill John

I have a Penn Battalion 2 12' rod for my kid to use when she's here.  It's a good rod...has Fuji alconite guides & a Fuji seat...a lotta rod for the $.