Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fergal

Scott Sector

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

If anyone is in the market for an upper end rod you should definitely look at these. I got a 10 late spring, threw it while on block. It is a very nice stick. I'd say more progressive action, flexes down the blank a bit with a nice recovery. It is not fast/stiff and not my go-to for say albies with a shooting head. It would be my first choice for night fishing with a full line - shorter distances, a more relaxed stroke. Kind of like playing soft those - it's easy.

I wanted another 9wt and ended up with another Sector (I tried T&T Sextant (nice too) and the Sage R8 (the 9 was maybe a nice 10...) and others). I didn't have a chance to fish the Sector until this week and I decided to give it a try for albies with a head. Aside, I've been practicing with it all summer for flats stuff - I liked it for that but practice sure as **** ain't fishing....

I used the Sector with an old stock 10wt shooting head, 30' head (grain weight is in line with 10wt 30' AFTMA). The rod is very nice. It's a good bit more crisp than the 10 but still has a progressive action with a fast recovery - perfect for heads & albies. It's amazingly similar to my Burk 9. You can really lean into it and it delivers. It's hard to describe, but for me, it just works. Very smooth, very easy to feel and load.

To me, Scott has kind of been like the red haired step child, always around, but doesn't really do much. They do seem to have hit on this line. The meridian definitely had fans. I don't know that rod at all. But this one, I do a bit, at least give them a try. they fly under the radar vs Sage (FU sage...), Loomis and others but I really like them. Their 11 is supposed to be excellent too.

I have the Sector 908 and 909.  The 8wt is definitely softer than the 9wt.  The 8 has plenty of power but requires a more relaxed stroke to get the most out of it.  It has a strong butt section for handling decent sized fish.  The 9wt can be pushed more than the 8wt but it still prefers a smooth casting stroke.  It has a steeper taper than the 8wt.  

I have not casted the 4 piece but i have the 8’ 10” 2 piece 10wt and it is an awesome rod. i believe its a bit stiffer than the two piece version and id recommended it to anyone who doesn’t mind a two piece. The 8’4” 8wt is also a great stick, one of my favorites ive ever owned. 

Both 8wt and 10wt short sectors are amazing fishing rods. The 10wt is so light and easy to cast that I had to constantly look down and check the label to make sure I was fishing a 10wt. Pair the 10wt with a Lamson m10 and you can cast all day long with less fatigue than most 9ft 8wt setups.