scoobydoo

Because why not.....Hurricane Ian

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, aae0130 said:

The way climate change is thrown around so much as if it were some kind of fact it has pretty much become non political. I put it up there with ‘flat earth”……

We are having a relatively mild season so that’s good for fishing………less leading and trailing rain storms and turbulence. Historical fish holding structures and flats will remain intact. …….

Shouldn't be political but what isn't these days?  

Climate change is a naturally occurring thing, and has happened many times throughout the life of the planet.  However, industrialization, population explosions and constant mega-use of fossil fuels have accelerated it.  

That being said, I'm hoping for albies, bones, Spaniards, weakies and reds up here in ME in the future!

37 mins ago, triumph said:

We already had a hurricane named Gaston in 2004...

Why are Hurricanes Named?

Hurricanes occur every year, and sometimes two or three hurricanes can be active at the same time. Using names for these storms makes it much easier for meteorologists, researchers, emergency response workers, ship captains and citizens to communicate about specific hurricanes and be clearly understood.

For that reason, the World Meteorological Organization develops a list of names that are assigned in alphabetical order to tropical storms as they are discovered in each hurricane season. Names can be repeated after an interval of six years, but the names of especially severe storms are permanently retired from use.

Source: geology (dot) com

5 hours ago, aae0130 said:

The way climate change is thrown around so much as if it were some kind of fact it has pretty much become non political. I put it up there with ‘flat earth”……

We are having a relatively mild season so that’s good for fishing………less leading and trailing rain storms and turbulence. Historical fish holding structures and flats will remain intact. …….

Anthropogenic climate change is a fact. You do realize that Big Oil literally hired *the same* PR firms cigarette companies used to deny the link between cigarettes and lung cancer, this time around to deny the link between fossil fuels and climate change. They quite literally just stole the playbook from cigarettes and applied it to oil. Really, who do you think has a bigger reason to lie here: a scientist making 60k to toil away in a damp university basement, or an oil conglomerate worth billions of dollars whose entire profit structure relies on protecting the fantasy that oil isn’t ruining the planet? And no, before you accuse me: I’m not a “flaming liberal.”

Edited by MainelySmallies

On 9/23/2022 at 6:59 PM, MainelySmallies said:

Anthropogenic climate change is a fact. You do realize that Big Oil literally hired *the same* PR firms cigarette companies used to deny the link between cigarettes and lung cancer, this time around to deny the link between fossil fuels and climate change. They quite literally just stole the playbook from cigarettes and applied it to oil. Really, who do you think has a bigger reason to lie here: a scientist making 60k to toil away in a damp university basement, or an oil conglomerate worth billions of dollars whose entire profit structure relies on protecting the fantasy that oil isn’t ruining the planet? And no, before you accuse me: I’m not a “flaming liberal.”

Any discussion of it…….for or against……..usually gets a yawn from me and the tv remote buttons promptly pushed. Quite frankly…..I’m sick of hearing about it. 

Edited by aae0130

All but a couple have fizzled out. We have warm water temps. Warm air temps. All conducive to major hurricanes. 
However in other fishing related threads I’ve complained about the winds that have been blowing all summer.

Its that wind shear that is killing all the hurricanes 

Maybe I shouldn’t complain about the wind.

Not to worry though. We still have plenty of hurricane season to go. 

Another low is moving off the coast of Western Africa and looking as though it will form into a tropical depression or storm

later today. There is a 90% chance of development. 

What about all the heat waves in the 30s. Was that anthropogenic climate change? We haven’t had heat waves of that magnitude since. 

a completely dry july and august. We have been told climate change (global warming) would make there be hurricanes very often and much stronger “super storms” (lol) that would destroy everything. 

so we finally have a storm with Andrew-like strength after how many years?

it’s purely a money maker. I’m praying for everyone down there. Btw our President during the hurricane relief speech told everyone preparing for hurricanes to go get vaccinated. What a pos

We could go completely green as a country, but India and China who are going through industrial revolutions won’t follow suit.  They’ll laugh at us, like they already are. 

enough of the climate change bs. That doesn’t change the outcome of this storm and people losing everything they own. If we went 100% green, this storm wouldn’t be a weaker storm because of it. That’s silly talk and pipe dream material. 

Posted (edited)

38 mins ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

What about all the heat waves in the 30s. Was that anthropogenic climate change? We haven’t had heat waves of that magnitude since. 

a completely dry july and august. We have been told climate change (global warming) would make there be hurricanes very often and much stronger “super storms” (lol) that would destroy everything. 

so we finally have a storm with Andrew-like strength after how many years?

it’s purely a money maker. I’m praying for everyone down there. Btw our President during the hurricane relief speech told everyone preparing for hurricanes to go get vaccinated. What a pos

I agree with a lot of what you're saying but.....did the President circle the get vaccinated part with a black sharpie during his speech and is it indeed in his house in Delaware? 

Edited by brushfly