Digga90

Live well diy build?

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone have plans for their livewell theyve built? Looking to make a rear hitch mounted livewell. Would be for maybe a dozen peanuts, about a 40 min drive from cast netting to throwing them out with a hook in them. 

Figured round would be best, but i have an older cooler in the garage that could be used. 30 gal container? Not sure of what size aerator pump or whatever else i would need. 

I've made several for eels.  . I just drilled the cooler lid to accept airlines, 12v pumps are readily available (not so much when I made my first one). I ran redundant pumps with redundant airlines and stones. The coarse air-stones worked best as they clogged less, just blow them out whenever you do a water change. 

Cooler with slices of a five gallon bucket or hard but flexible plastic screwed and glued into the corners to round it out a bit. .  12v pump wired to plug into the tow connection with inline switch. Two air stones .   Make sure cooler has a drain.  I also use a pump to circulate the water.  

18 mins ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Cooler with slices of a five gallon bucket or hard but flexible plastic screwed and glued into the corners to round it out a bit. .  12v pump wired to plug into the tow connection with inline switch. Two air stones .   Make sure cooler has a drain.  I also use a pump to circulate the water.  

great call, thought about putting a round peg in a square hole to smooth out the corners..are you switching out water when you get to your spot? Where I fish I have the opportunity to basically turn around and be at my truck, so I'm thinking I bring a 5 gal bucket to drain and replenish with fresh saltwater

Switch a bi

1 hour ago, Digga90 said:

great call, thought about putting a round peg in a square hole to smooth out the corners..are you switching out water when you get to your spot? Where I fish I have the opportunity to basically turn around and be at my truck, so I'm thinking I bring a 5 gal bucket to drain and replenish with fresh saltwater

A lot of my bait comes from brackish so I only swap about 25 percent with ocean water.  Most bait is pretty tough so I may be overthinking but being a salt aquarium fan I'm used to try to acclimate the fish.  Also if you seal up , depending on the size cooler, you can put ice in the corner pockets to help.