Hammerheadman

Tuna Grounds where to go

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

For someone like me who mostly fishes the Bay and near shore waters. Being everyone is afraid of spot burning how can I get an idea of where to go in a non-specific area to start off with. 

Now I fish out of Sandy Hook NJ so Northern waters is where i will need to target. Not South Jersey 

recently - the shipping lanes as a general idea and anywhere from 15-30+miles off. the mudhole is about a 25 mile run southeast from Sandy Hook and a very well known location so not spot burning. Unfortunately i dont know anything about waters further north that that as it's the farthest north coordinate i have in my GPS, im out of LEI/BI.

1 hour ago, surfstryker said:

recently - the shipping lanes as a general idea and anywhere from 15-30+miles off. the mudhole is about a 25 mile run southeast from Sandy Hook and a very well known location so not spot burning. Unfortunately i dont know anything about waters further north that that as it's the farthest north coordinate i have in my GPS, im out of LEI/BI.

Thank You I was fishing I was trolling in the Shipping lanes on Sept. 1st. It was too rough for me, and I headed in close to the beach for Fluking. I did not see any life . But I will try again . yesterday was flat calm shouda coulda but spent the day looking for albies, and bonita just blues Jigged up small seabass while trying for fluke.

9 mins ago, Hammerheadman said:

Thank You I was fishing I was trolling in the Shipping lanes on Sept. 1st. It was too rough for me, and I headed in close to the beach for Fluking. I did not see any life . But I will try again . yesterday was flat calm shouda coulda but spent the day looking for albies, and bonita just blues Jigged up small seabass while trying for fluke.

Yea, I have to pick my days for getting out as I'm in a 24 foot CC. I suggest also looking at surface temp charts to try and identify temperature breaks near your waters - can help find the fish. Rutgers is free but there are also better, paid services.  

Saturday it was east of you 18 or so miles

They've meen moving around though, as they tend to do so no spot burn

Edited by makorider

3 hours ago, surfstryker said:

Yea, I have to pick my days for getting out as I'm in a 24 foot CC. I suggest also looking at surface temp charts to try and identify temperature breaks near your waters - can help find the fish. Rutgers is free but there are also better, paid services.  

Yes, that's my boat 25 walk around with a new 300HP.single. I will google the Rutgers site thanks for the info. When my parents had a home in Pt. Pleasant I had a boat on a trailer and would run out of the Manasquan and fish around little Italy. That was much easier.

2 hours ago, makorider said:

Saturday it was east of you 18 or so miles

They've meen moving around though, as they tend to do so no spot burn

Yes on a calm day 18 miles is nothing for me.I just dont want to run to the Glory, Chicken, princess to find it void of life. I just want to have a nice time without having to go to the Flemish Cap.LOL Thanks again.

33 mins ago, Hammerheadman said:

Yes, that's my boat 25 walk around with a new 300HP.single. I will google the Rutgers site thanks for the info. When my parents had a home in Pt. Pleasant I had a boat on a trailer and would run out of the Manasquan and fish around little Italy. That was much easier.

Yes on a calm day 18 miles is nothing for me.I just dont want to run to the Glory, Chicken, princess to find it void of life. I just want to have a nice time without having to go to the Flemish Cap.LOL Thanks again.

Some times you have to go and hunt.  Part of the game.  Chase reports and you will be behind the 8 ball most of the time

Figure out the usual spots. Make a general loop that takes you from marina, over the popular areas, then keep your eyes peeled. The other way is to develop a network of friends willing to call you in on the radio. It's a hunt for sure, you'll burn a lot of fuel and not see anything for many trips. But the ones where it all comes together will keep you hooked.

You don't need a big boat, but be smart. We've pushed a 25' panga 60 miles, 23' Jones Brother the same and a 25' CHawk to the canyons. I think my 18' CHawk will be next but know your days and weather windows.

Pictured with a proper bend 20-30 miles out on my friends 23' Jones Brother.

IMG_6198.jpg

Find a place where structure, bait, and ":good water" coincide.

"Good water" is a difficult thing to define.  Generally, tuna like clear, blue water, although bluefin will sometimes feed in the green stuff, and even yellowfin will come into clear green water if the bait is there.  What you're generally looking for is a temperature/color break, where an eddy of clear, blue water butts up against something else--usually cooler, cloudier blue water, although it might be clear green water as well--and creates a sort of front.  The cloudier water holds more plankton, and thus ofthen holds more bait, but tuna are sight feeders, so stay on the clear water side, looking for bait right along the edge.

At least that's the theory, and it works when you find it, but the fact is that there are often no breaks within a reasonable didtance from port.  This year, the fish have been on concentrations of sand eels, regardless of temperature breaks.  So you look for feeding porpoises and whales, feeding seabirds, etc., and concentrate on those spots.  Bait tends to concentrate life, so the life you can see on the surface often signals unseen tuna below (of course, sometimes you also see tuna on the surface, too).

And that's probably the key.  If you find life in reasonably clear blue water, there will likely be fish nearby.  Just don't fall into the trap of fishing a place just because it has a name.  There might be fish there, but the fish might just as well be chasing sandeels over some unnamed fingers in the middle of nowhere.  Chasing yesterday's reports isn't necessarily productive.  It's always a hunt.

7 mins ago, CWitek said:

Find a place where structure, bait, and ":good water" coincide.

"Good water" is a difficult thing to define.  Generally, tuna like clear, blue water, although bluefin will sometimes feed in the green stuff, and even yellowfin will come into clear green water if the bait is there.  What you're generally looking for is a temperature/color break, where an eddy of clear, blue water butts up against something else--usually cooler, cloudier blue water, although it might be clear green water as well--and creates a sort of front.  The cloudier water holds more plankton, and thus ofthen holds more bait, but tuna are sight feeders, so stay on the clear water side, looking for bait right along the edge.

At least that's the theory, and it works when you find it, but the fact is that there are often no breaks within a reasonable didtance from port.  This year, the fish have been on concentrations of sand eels, regardless of temperature breaks.  So you look for feeding porpoises and whales, feeding seabirds, etc., and concentrate on those spots.  Bait tends to concentrate life, so the life you can see on the surface often signals unseen tuna below (of course, sometimes you also see tuna on the surface, too).

And that's probably the key.  If you find life in reasonably clear blue water, there will likely be fish nearby.  Just don't fall into the trap of fishing a place just because it has a name.  There might be fish there, but the fish might just as well be chasing sandeels over some unnamed fingers in the middle of nowhere.  Chasing yesterday's reports isn't necessarily productive.  It's always a hunt.

Thanks good advice