Surfinator

Suggestions for Compact Head Intermediate

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Looking for some suggestions for a short head intermediate line for a 7wt. I currently have a 7wt OBS floater in 265 grn. This is for boat fishing so most casts are 60' and under. Before I pulled the trigger on the OBS intermediate, I thought I would see what other options are out there.

Might take a look at the Cortland Compact Intermediate if you are ok with a floating running line.

SF

I'm assuming full intermediate not a floating running & intermediate head.

Cortland 444 Intermediate - 32ft head

Wulff Intermediate  - 30ft head 

Be careful with the head weights - all 7wt fly lines are not the same.

Wulff Inter 7wt - 30ft head = 225gr

Cortland 444 Inter = 7wt = 185gr

Cortland Compact Intermediate  6/7wt = 26ft head = 240gr,  7/8 = 275gr

7 hours ago, Stonefish said:

Might take a look at the Cortland Compact Intermediate if you are ok with a floating running line.

SF

Yea thats one that I was considering. Never used a line with a sub 30' head but I'm sure I can get used to it. Floating running line is fine. Im not fishing in strong currents.

23 mins ago, gman1253 said:

I'm assuming full intermediate not a floating running & intermediate head.

Cortland 444 Intermediate - 32ft head

Wulff Intermediate  - 30ft head 

Be careful with the head weights - all 7wt fly lines are not the same.

Wulff Inter 7wt - 30ft head = 225gr

Cortland 444 Inter = 7wt = 185gr

Cortland Compact Intermediate  6/7wt = 26ft head = 240gr,  7/8 = 275gr

Agree on the different head weights. The OBS short Im using is 265gr so I know I want something very close to that. I'll have to check out Wulff lines..never tried anything from them before.

30 mins ago, Surfinator said:

Yea thats one that I was considering. Never used a line with a sub 30' head but I'm sure I can get used to it. Floating running line is fine. Im not fishing in strong currents.

Agree on the different head weights. The OBS short Im using is 265gr so I know I want something very close to that. I'll have to check out Wulff lines..never tried anything from them before.

Wulff has a greenish & a clear itermediate.

You can also look at the SA Sonar lines -- the Titans are:

WF7/I = 33.5 head - 240gr

WF8/I = 33.5 head = 280 gr

Narrowed it down to the Compact Intermediate and the Striped Bass Intermediate. The compact in 7/8 is a little over the 265gr with a 26' head. Striped bass is in 8 is exactly 265 with a 31' head. I think I'd like to try the compact but on paper it seems like it would be too much. 

On 9/23/2022 at 0:51 PM, Surfinator said:

Narrowed it down to the Compact Intermediate and the Striped Bass Intermediate. The compact in 7/8 is a little over the 265gr with a 26' head. Striped bass is in 8 is exactly 265 with a 31' head. I think I'd like to try the compact but on paper it seems like it would be too much. 

There's always Wulff Ambush too..... super short head.

Rio Coastal Quickshooter.

"RIO's Coastal Quickshooter line features a clear intermediate head, and is designed specifically for anglers fly fishing off the coast in cooler conditions. The line features a short front taper that has no problem turning over baitfish and shrimp patterns in typical coastal winds, and has a short, easy casting head to help the rod load at close range."

Best of luck.