qecfly

Salmon River NY Sept 24 - Oct1st

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Anyone heading up to NY to fish the Salmon River next week? I am leaving early Friday (9/23) morning to fish Douglaston for the week.  The two handed rods finally get to come out and play for a while!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, qecfly said:

Anyone heading up to NY to fish the Salmon River next week? I am leaving early Friday (9/23) morning to fish Douglaston for the week.  The two handed rods finally get to come out and play for a while!

 

 

Was going, but canceled, sons and grandsons are going all over. Good luck, should be good with rain coming. I will miss it. Maybe November 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im going tomorrow. First time there. Been fishing western Ny rivers for salmon for a decade. Never caught a coho. Praying I get one this weekend 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bassturds said:

Im going tomorrow. First time there. Been fishing western Ny rivers for salmon for a decade. Never caught a coho. Praying I get one this weekend 

I'm not really a fly fisherman but I can say when I go up there the fly guys seem to be hooking up a lot more than the typical spinner guys like me. Don't know why. I could be imagining things too but the one year there was three guys with fly rods amongst maybe 20 or 25 guys (including me) using spinners. They just kept hooking up over and over while the spinner guys were only getting a few. I'm sure it was just where they were standing but they had a little window of time where they were just ripping them out left and right.

 

Last year I was up there around this time of year for a 2 day trip. The fishing wasn't very good compared to 2020, but fish were being caught. I ended up with 1 king and one coho, my first. I saw as many cohos as I did kings, along with one of the largest brown trout I have ever seen in person and about 15 steelhead. I also broke my rod when my splitshot smashed into my tip when I broke off on a tree lol. I can't say anything now but if it's like it was last year you should be able to get a coho. Tight lines up there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

I'm not really a fly fisherman but I can say when I go up there the fly guys seem to be hooking up a lot more than the typical spinner guys like me. Don't know why. I could be imagining things too but the one year there was three guys with fly rods amongst maybe 20 or 25 guys (including me) using spinners. They just kept hooking up over and over while the spinner guys were only getting a few. I'm sure it was just where they were standing but they had a little window of time where they were just ripping them out left and right.

 

Last year I was up there around this time of year for a 2 day trip. The fishing wasn't very good compared to 2020, but fish were being caught. I ended up with 1 king and one coho, my first. I saw as many cohos as I did kings, along with one of the largest brown trout I have ever seen in person and about 15 steelhead. I also broke my rod when my splitshot smashed into my tip when I broke off on a tree lol. I can't say anything now but if it's like it was last year you should be able to get a coho. Tight lines up there.

I’ve seen that at other rivers to! They were catching 5 fish to our 1 fish.  It may have been centerpins. The pin guys and egg sacs HAMMER FISH! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are flossing or yaking fish they can see. Next time go see where they are hooked,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year was pretty bad so I really hope this year will be much better. We're heading up week of the 17th in Oct. The main run seems to be getting later each year. Goodluck to those heading up this week. I heard the DSR is starting to heat up a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well we got the skunk at the salmon river!  One of the guys we had couldn’t walk well. So we were extremely limited.   My normal trips when it’s my best friend and I we would do a few miles of walking a day on the rivers! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Playing around with some left over materials. 
I’ll name this one “Peach Margarita Crystal Sucker Spawn”   :)

15D2CD2C-164B-4974-9FF4-C7EADF1A70CE.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TBYRD said:

Playing around with some left over materials. 
I’ll name this one “Peach Margarita Crystal Sucker Spawn”   :)

15D2CD2C-164B-4974-9FF4-C7EADF1A70CE.png

Look at crystal meth fly. Very similar. That pattern and the CM both are good steelhead flies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Returned home yesterday.  Overall it was a tough week.  I fished Douglaston. Tuesday and Wednesday were excellent but the rest of the week was slow.  It rained hard all day Tuesday which brought the fish in but also brought the river level up to 1800cfs.

As far as I'm concerned all of the salmon are foul hooked. Even the ones in the mouth.  I do get the occasional coho that appear to strike at the fly.  Either way it does not diminish the experience for me.  No where else can I drive 5 hours and fight 25 pound fish with a fly rod in a river.  When they are running is a very fun way to spend the day.

The other aspect I like about fishing there is a chance to tie a lot of flies that are different from what I normally tie.  Success on the river is all about putting your fly in front of the fish.  Color and pattern don't matter by my estimates so I have fun tying creative flies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally agree with your sentiments. Trying to get a fish that has no real interest in eating is not easy and agree that most are snagged even if it is snagged (flossed) in the mouth. It is definitely fun though when you do get one hooked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Spent a lot of time up there a decades ago now the lining of fish depresses me :)

 

wait till the steelie’s come they eat 

 

1897b301781b2718c9fd1a4dd86e5fe4.jpg?wid

Edited by Joe Paranee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.