qecfly

Salmon River NY Sept 24 - Oct1st

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Anyone heading up to NY to fish the Salmon River next week? I am leaving early Friday (9/23) morning to fish Douglaston for the week.  The two handed rods finally get to come out and play for a while!

12 hours ago, qecfly said:

Anyone heading up to NY to fish the Salmon River next week? I am leaving early Friday (9/23) morning to fish Douglaston for the week.  The two handed rods finally get to come out and play for a while!

Was going, but canceled, sons and grandsons are going all over. Good luck, should be good with rain coming. I will miss it. Maybe November 

Im going tomorrow. First time there. Been fishing western Ny rivers for salmon for a decade. Never caught a coho. Praying I get one this weekend 

1 hour ago, bassturds said:

Im going tomorrow. First time there. Been fishing western Ny rivers for salmon for a decade. Never caught a coho. Praying I get one this weekend 

I'm not really a fly fisherman but I can say when I go up there the fly guys seem to be hooking up a lot more than the typical spinner guys like me. Don't know why. I could be imagining things too but the one year there was three guys with fly rods amongst maybe 20 or 25 guys (including me) using spinners. They just kept hooking up over and over while the spinner guys were only getting a few. I'm sure it was just where they were standing but they had a little window of time where they were just ripping them out left and right.

Last year I was up there around this time of year for a 2 day trip. The fishing wasn't very good compared to 2020, but fish were being caught. I ended up with 1 king and one coho, my first. I saw as many cohos as I did kings, along with one of the largest brown trout I have ever seen in person and about 15 steelhead. I also broke my rod when my splitshot smashed into my tip when I broke off on a tree lol. I can't say anything now but if it's like it was last year you should be able to get a coho. Tight lines up there.

9 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

I'm not really a fly fisherman but I can say when I go up there the fly guys seem to be hooking up a lot more than the typical spinner guys like me. Don't know why. I could be imagining things too but the one year there was three guys with fly rods amongst maybe 20 or 25 guys (including me) using spinners. They just kept hooking up over and over while the spinner guys were only getting a few. I'm sure it was just where they were standing but they had a little window of time where they were just ripping them out left and right.

Last year I was up there around this time of year for a 2 day trip. The fishing wasn't very good compared to 2020, but fish were being caught. I ended up with 1 king and one coho, my first. I saw as many cohos as I did kings, along with one of the largest brown trout I have ever seen in person and about 15 steelhead. I also broke my rod when my splitshot smashed into my tip when I broke off on a tree lol. I can't say anything now but if it's like it was last year you should be able to get a coho. Tight lines up there.

I’ve seen that at other rivers to! They were catching 5 fish to our 1 fish.  It may have been centerpins. The pin guys and egg sacs HAMMER FISH! 

Last year was pretty bad so I really hope this year will be much better. We're heading up week of the 17th in Oct. The main run seems to be getting later each year. Goodluck to those heading up this week. I heard the DSR is starting to heat up a bit. 

Well we got the skunk at the salmon river!  One of the guys we had couldn’t walk well. So we were extremely limited.   My normal trips when it’s my best friend and I we would do a few miles of walking a day on the rivers!