JCH

Best knottable wire?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I've been finding lots and lots of bluefish on the peanut bunker in my local waters.  I've been having fun with an Echo fiberglass 7wt on the snappers.

I've been using Rio's knottable wire, and I've found that it frays quite easily.  Not only on fish, it was fraying even just setting a knot - well lubricated, etc.  I want to switch out.

I would appreciate the board's opinion on your favorite knottable wire.  Thanks!

I use 80lb piano wire in stained brown,4” finished length. It can wrap smaller than a bb. and a mini o ring or snell to leader, just trim clean, doesn’t bother anything in casts

Posted (edited)

58 mins ago, bloosfisher said:

I carry the Rio, but remember my old brand, Tyger wire being much better. I used the 30  for blues and pike.

Another vote for Tyger Wire, if you have it or can find some that's left?

Edited by Capt.Castafly

I use American Fishing Wire Surflon 1 X 7 Nylon Coated Stainless Steel Wire.

20lb is pretty beefy, there's no way they are going to bite you off, you could go lower, I'll probably go 15lb next time I buy some.

Plus, it's really cheap. I usually snell my hooks and use a uni to uni to attach it to my mono. If I'm attaching it to braid, I'll use an albright.

I find no reason to use a coated wire?The 4” section works on barracuda and blues, get a bend or kink, just straighten.

1 hour ago, RAW said:

I find no reason to use a coated wire?The 4” section works on barracuda and blues, get a bend or kink, just straighten.

4 in section is plenty. I pre tie a few using standard 125lb trolling wire and a small swivel, keep them in my belt bag in a plastic cigar tube. Tie tippet to swivel and haywire twist fly of choice to the other end. Works fine with spinning gear and plugs too.....any kinks just straighten.

2 mins ago, surfrat59 said:

4 in section is plenty. I pre tie a few using standard 125lb trolling wire and a small swivel, keep them in my belt bag in a plastic cigar tube. Tie tippet to swivel and haywire twist fly of choice to the other end. Works fine with spinning gear and plugs too.....any kinks just straighten.

Exactly, most guys do not know term haywire, cigar tube is good idea!

check out the Mission fly mag... they had a couple of articles on using flexile wire for Tigerfish along with the knots/ rigging.

Deneki also has a couple of old articles on rigging for Barracuda.

I've always used AFW surflon with an albright to the mono and a figure 8 knot to the fly. Ties easy and works well. As they say, "lots of ways to skin the cat"

Thank everyone, really appreciate it.  I picked up some AFW surflon, which works well.  My friend gave me a spool of the Cortland stuff, and I may like that one even better.

This:

Knot 2 Kinky Single Strand Nickel-Titanium Leader Wire

Or this:

titanium wire leader from www.cabelas.com

For me, Surflon and other coated wires are too visible and significantly reduce strikes.  I don't like them.  

On 9/26/2022 at 10:26 AM, bmac said:

For me, Surflon and other coated wires are too visible and significantly reduce strikes.  I don't like them.  

Interesting - you find uncoated wire to be less visible?

On 9/26/2022 at 10:26 AM, bmac said:

I've never had an issue, but we don't have the clearest of waters.