Goldy

When did Gluten Free and organic become a thing?

Rate this topic

227 posts in this topic

Didn't everyone just eat dirt as kids and normal stuff?  I'm just trying to figure out when Gluten Free and Organic became a thing?  Was it late 90's, early 2000's?  

1 min ago, Goldy said:

Didn't everyone just eat dirt as kids and normal stuff?  I'm just trying to figure out when Gluten Free and Organic became a thing?  Was it late 90's, early 2000's?  

i have no idea what you are talking about Oprah? 

My daughter has celiac, the gluten-free craze has been a good thing for her.

1 min ago, Terry Mac said:

i have no idea what you are talking about Oprah? 

haha.. Oprah.. I'm looking to understand when you peeps started gluten free and organic 

From Wikipedia 

"The organic movement began in the early 1900s in response to the shift towards synthetic nitrogen fertilizers and pesticides in the early days of industrial agriculture."

That has to be wrong

Just now, Ditchbag said:

Who cares?

Just throw you crap in a plastic single use bag and be done with it !

I was thinking of you the other day, i will be passing that area end of the month, i will wave..

No serious, i got ham from the supermarket, came in plastic as i got it from the deli counter and then they placed 5 sheets of ham per plastic slice, do you know how much plastic they just generated 

36 mins ago, Goldy said:

I was thinking of you the other day, i will be passing that area end of the month, i will wave..

No serious, i got ham from the supermarket, came in plastic as i got it from the deli counter and then they placed 5 sheets of ham per plastic slice, do you know how much plastic they just generated 

I'll be in Syracuse at the big east powersports show that weekend .

Why don't you just take a roll of butcher paper along to the store ?

Get them to put your ham in that , if your so afraid of plastic!

55 mins ago, ted527 said:

My daughter has it as well. My Italian father in law died from cancer because he was too damn stubborn to give up the foods he liked. He was diagnosed with celiac in late 1990’s.  There was not many options back then. 

4 hours ago, ted527 said:

Same here. Both wife and daughter have celiac. Luckily there’s more and more gluten free products and restaurants than ever. Genetically modified wheat and the use of round up to kill the wheat before harvesting seem to be a big cause of wheat problems in people. 

I am 99.9% gluten-free but I refused to pay for the stupid gluten-free label tax. $9 for a loaf of meh tasting bread or like 4 tiny rolls, you can shove them up.....

11 mins ago, hobobob said:

I am 99.9% gluten-free but I refused to pay for the stupid gluten-free label tax. $9 for a loaf of meh tasting bread or like 4 tiny rolls, you can shove them up.....

Do you have Celiac disease? 3 Bakers is the best bread but ,yes, it’s expensive. Their baguettes might be better than the gluten-ful alternative. **** that comes in a package is bad for you anyway. :th:

22 mins ago, hobobob said:

How can you be gluten free but still eat gluten bread? That’s where the most gluten comes from in foods. 

5 hours ago, Goldy said:

haha.. Oprah.. I'm looking to understand when you peeps started gluten free and organic 

the amount of gluten in all of our diets started to rise 20-25 years ago. while the number of people with bona fide celiac has not increased dramatically, the number of non-celiac gluten sensitive people has exploded.

a genetic predisposition for difficulty digesting the gluten protein strands (actually two proteins bound together) started to become an observable health issue as the amount of gluten in grains started to increase (hybridization) and gluten started to be included in more food and non-food items.

the wheat industry marketed gluten as "food glue" that worked as a thickener for soups and sauces as well as a stabilizer in BBQ sauce, salad dressings and anything else that they did not want to separate while in storage. even hair conditioner, moisturizer lotions and sunscreens now contain gluten as a stabilizer. 

and bread, more gluten now than when we were kids because the commercial baking industry determined that extra gluten shortens the rise cycle as well as extends the shelf life of loaves. 

our youngest had gluten issues as an infant and has been GF for nearly his entire 18+years. thus we understood gluten, finding GF foods, etc. back when it was a bigger challenge than today. and after 10+ years of on and off issues, i finally relented and got the blood and urine tests to confirm NC gluten sensitivity. I have been GF since summer 2013.