RAW

Salmon River web cam live ,moveable

31 posts in this topic

30 mins ago, Long Wader said:

Looks the same as it did 35 years ago.

Not much changes in Rural Upstate NY. It is like it is frozen in a time.

Only change is far less fish, 75% less, fishermen are half . So you remember C&M Diner on rte 13. Good food and sleep in parking lot

2 mins ago, RAW said:

Only change is far less fish, 75% less, fishermen are half . So you remember C&M Diner on rte 13. Good food and sleep in parking lot

I'm "this close" to buying a van and converting it into a camper van simply so I can just casually drive somewhere and fish and not need to worry about lodging or even commuting from lodging to the water

38 mins ago, RAW said:

I go back so far I can remember when the Salmon River was like an open sewer without any salmon or trout.  I am sorry to hear the fishery has declined.  The fishery was very good in the 80's and early 90's and crowded. 

I would still be reluctant to eat any fish from that river

Edited by Long Wader

3 mins ago, adam42 said:

I'm "this close" to buying a van and converting it into a camper van simply so I can just casually drive somewhere and fish and not need to worry about lodging or even commuting from lodging to the water

We took a van made bunks that folded, rod racks. Commercial 10 gal, water jug, propane tank that dropped into bumper ring, A padded board that crossed front to seats, slept 5, great times

2 mins ago, Long Wader said:

I go back so far I can remember when the Salmon River was like an open sewer without salmon or trout.  Sad to hear the fishery has declined.

I would still be reluctant to eat any fish from that river

Never took any fish at all. Just had fun with sons and buddies. Just sold my drift boat

28 mins ago, RAW said:

Never took any fish at all. Just had fun with sons and buddies. Just sold my drift boat

The first time I went to Pulaski in the early 80's I kept one medium sized steelhead and my buddies laughed at me, told me to get rid of it and not even think about eating it. I have released every trout and salmon from the tributary rivers ever since.

I rarely if ever keep trout this days and they only ones I ate years ago were small brook trout caught while we were camping and fishing in wilderness areas. No better breakfast than fresh brook trout cooked with eggs, bacon and served with toast, or oatmeal.

Edited by Long Wader

4 hours ago, adam42 said:

Ive always wanted to do this as well

Glad to hear it's not just me releasing all the salmon and trout I catch. I was starting to think I was crazy lol. People look at me funny when I release salmon sometimes. I don't keep them because it would be a PITA to do so, and I don't like salmon. But boy are they fun to catch. 

1 hour ago, KarpsnKatz said:

What's the reason for the decline in the fishery?

What I have heard is the Local hatchery has reduced the number of salmon they stock in the Salmon River and overall most of the Great Lakes and tributary fishery managers are stocking less Pacific salmon and more Steelhead, Atlantic Salmon, and Lake trout because the Great Lakes forage base has changed. The reason behind this change is due to zebra muscle cleaning up much of the single celled algae and plankton alewives feed on, the numbers of alewives are way down and the Pacific salmon growth rates were slowing, so the fishery managers are stocking less of them. At the same time there has been a big increase in the numbers of original forage base species of the Great Lakes like rainbow shiners and smelt and the trout are doing well feeding on them. The EPA and the Fed also prefer fishery managers stock native species like lake trout and Atlantic salmon instead of the Pacific Salmon.  Smallmouths are not the only one gobbling up gobies and their are studies that show lake trout, steelhead and especially brown trout are staring to adapt to this new food supply. Pacific Salmon are more of a pelagic open water feeders and there are not enough alewives to support large numbers of them. By keeping their numbers lower fishery managers hope to improve the growth rates of the existing Pacific Salmon.

Maybe someone that is more familiar with the current fishery can comment on whether this plan is working or not.  From what I hear the charter boat captains and tributary fisherman are not happy about the lower numbers of Pacific salmon, or the fact many of them are smaller and there is an excellent lake trout fishery that very few fisherman are utilizing. I don't know if it is because most fisherman don't know about the large numbers of medium to large lake trout or they just prefer fishing for the harder fighting Coho and King salmon. I have seen a several fishing shows where boats that only go a short distance from shore compared to the salmon charters are finding large numbers of lake trout vertical jigging for them, however the Great Lakes Lake trout are reef spawners and are usually not available to tributary fisherman. I am seeing a few very large Atlantic Salmon showing up in the Tributary fishing reports, but not many of them. I don't know if it is because the Atlantic Salmon are harder to catch, there are not that many of them in the rivers, or a combination of both. If the fishery managers could get an excellent Atlantic Salmon fishery going that might help, but so far anglers are not seeing many fish from their current Atlantic Salmon stocking efforts.

Edited by Long Wader

I've seen more people in that pool in January. The huge bio-mass the salmon  eggs and flesh left in the river (see RAWS  choice of flies- eggs, eggs, eggs)  supported the invertebrate life and on up the chain. Since  the rainbows can't spawn successfully in the SR, it'll be curious to see end results. If the Atlantics take hold, I expect  Melinda will be rich, and more water will become like the Tailwater  and the  DSR. The Barrel use to be my favorite place all through the winter. I climbed the huge snow mounds at the back of the school parking lot with snow shoes and would break out shelf ice over the frog water at the head of Schoolhouse on sunny days. I wouldn't miss the trash and dodging drunk drivers but it's a little sad to see the yet TBD change.

Spent 40 yrs fly fishing the Salmon River, learned from a great late guide, never snagged again. The Town Pool and many other spots have deep holes and runs, and some guys think snagging is ok.?The fall salmon runs had 300,000 fish run the river, it created a huge economy for Oswego County. River guys and the lake trollers. The stink of carcasses caused a cut back at the hatchery, there were places were places that burned thousands of carcasses a week. Then they stopped to a point the coho program, much of the cutbacks were do to lack of forage food. Kings used to be in the 40 lb. range, so changes were needed, for multiple reasons. Then the lack of forage continually dropped, and fish numbers and sizes fell drastically. To me a one of the real problems was the new ownership of the dam that controlled the water flow which would get pulsed to create flows for fish to run the 8 miles. That change hurt.The river lost the summer run Skamania ,The hatcheries smolt release many times has no water and cormorant's and just too warm of water killed thousands or more. Decisions on how much to raise for stocking continually dropped dramatically. Then came the massive steelhead kill that wiped out more than half all the fish. Seeing 10-15 lb steelhead swimming erratically with gills full of puss like jelly was horrible. We tried in vain to help with others, but problem had started when the fish were in the lake. DEC investigated and basically said we know nothing. I and many guides, and locals believe it was the nuke plant turbine cleaning with urea, an organic compound but deadly, found in fertilizers also. Most Canadian great lakes front are dead!, same story but do not want to get into that. Everyone has an opinion. Zebra mussels, gobies, whatever, vegetation is disappearing? The western part of the lake was basically unbothered. The hatchery did try to produce an Atlantic run in some smalls and tribs, but to no avail. Pen rearing of steelhead started and was great, but the problem is far greater now. Hate to ramble but the story I saw, and tried with different groups to maybe help.    But its still an awesome fishery for Steelhead, domestic rainbows and browns that will eat !!!!, The fly zone is the Town Pool with guys that to use a fly rod illegally or ethically. Been there 2 xs to meet guys, The river has many places to fish with no one around, enjoy a cigar and watch the strike indicator DROP!