RAW

Yes there’s shad around

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Got out yesterday and shad were inside the harbor. With no action on stripers I put on my last Hildebrand spinner and set up on a few rocks with a rip. My Holyoke Ct river technique is to flip out in the with a small split and let it just sit there. Hooked and a small 11” one after numerous bumps. Then a dam schoolie hits and breaks off my last Hildebrand spinner. Yes the browns are in the rivers, harbor and cruising the beaches.

44 mins ago, RAW said:

My Holyoke Ct river technique is to flip out in the with a small split and let it just sit there. 

I grew up in South Hadley, and have fond memories of shad fishing with my uncle there, back in the 60s.  Shad darts were the thing then.  When it was good, it was amazingly good.  

7 mins ago, roux said:

I grew up in South Hadley, and have fond memories of shad fishing with my uncle there, back in the 60s.  Shad darts were the thing then.  When it was good, it was amazingly good.  

Westfield , Ma , wife was S. Hadley. , when shad were running, I was on middle at 4M before work/ remember the derby when shad were over 7 lbs

Posted (edited)

I've seen rises near the sod banks last few times on the yak.  Don't know if they were trout or shad.  No jumping, just a small swirl and part of a tail once in a while.  Threw a small kastmaster on a striper rod (all I had), no takers.

Edited by Skunkoff

45 mins ago, Skunkoff said:

I've seen rises near the sod banks last few times on the yak.  Don't know if they were trout or shad.  No jumping, just a small swirl and part of a tail once in a while.  Threw a small kastmaster on a striper rod (all I had), no takers.

Just setting up flyrod for the searun browns. It’s time

231FCD81-64F0-4E23-9068-CE00A008A7DB.jpeg

Posted (edited)

12 mins ago, RAW said:

Nice!!  I don't flyfish (yet), but I got gear for 'em!

What rod weight do you use?

Edited by Skunkoff

16 mins ago, Skunkoff said:

Nice!!  I don't flyfish (yet), but I got gear for 'em!

What rod weight do you use?

This is 5-6 wt that I also use for steelhead. Even if I get into a striper up to 25” plus, it’s no problem. Just more fun and everything is light weight.

2E53A174-5509-43BA-A4EA-A8FC2895F361.jpeg

7 mins ago, RAW said:

This is 5-6 wt that I also use for steelhead. Even if I get into a striper up to 25” plus, it’s no problem. Just more fun and everything is light weight.

2E53A174-5509-43BA-A4EA-A8FC2895F361.jpeg

Hah!  Guess I could've just looked closer at the picture. 

One of these days I'll get around to learning the ways of the fly.

14 mins ago, Skunkoff said:

Hah!  Guess I could've just looked closer at the picture. 

One of these days I'll get around to learning the ways of the fly.

It’s easy, 10 minutes you could learn , forget all that waving a fly overhead for minute’s or 2 handlers/ . Just depends on what you want for results 

8 mins ago, RAW said:

It’s easy, 10 minutes you could learn , forget all that waving a fly overhead for minute’s or 2 handlers/ . Just depends on what you want for results 

I've looked at start-up kits from time to time.  Also talked to an employee in the fly department at Cabela's some time back.  He said he wanted to talk to the manager about demo days there.  That was a couple years ago though, and haven't seen/heard anything.

5 hours ago, Skunkoff said:

I've looked at start-up kits from time to time.  Also talked to an employee in the fly department at Cabela's some time back.  He said he wanted to talk to the manager about demo days there.  That was a couple years ago though, and haven't seen/heard anything.

First try to borrow a rod for determining what you want it for. Craigslist Me has rod, reel used for under a$100 with line . 

9 hours ago, RAW said:

How deep into the fall do you/can you  fish for searuns RAW? Might need a fix when the stripers are gone…

Posted (edited)

38 mins ago, MainelySmallies said:

How deep into the fall do you/can you  fish for searuns RAW? Might need a fix when the stripers are gone…

Searuns are around all year.  I've caught in November, March, and July (to give perspective) in different areas.  They're making a comeback, it seems. 

Edited by Skunkoff

47 mins ago, MainelySmallies said:

After the beaches and outflows near the surf , I get by accident fishing trout in tidal waters