ExcessiveAngler

FAVORITE SET UP FOR THROWING CUSTOMS

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

On 9/21/2022 at 2:17 AM, ExcessiveAngler said:

I recently got into throwing custom plugs!

I am was curious what everybody’s favorite set up is for this!

I’m usually using a spinner because I’m out at night. 

I can’t be experimenting with a conventional just yet at night with these plugs!

So, I went out for my first outing recently with a SS darter with a 8’ 1pc Tica2 and conflict 5000 loaded with 50 pound super slick original with 50 pd flouro as leader material.
 I’m not gonna lie, I really didn’t like not being able to feel my plug thumping away.

I know they say that there’s not a lot of action to these darters, but I basically really couldn’t feel anything while slowly retrieving it back against the current!

I was even trying to work it like an underwater slash bait and still didn’t feel the side to side action!

I’ve been other places during a run and I noticed that it looked like they were mostly using 10-11 ft rods!

Is this technically the norm for throwing these wood swimmers, needles and darters?

Are they doing that for distance or does having the longer rod affect the way the plug swims?

Many thanks in advance!

EA

For RI beaches 

9'6 Suzuki 1-3 and daiwa coastal on custom 9'6 1-3

For cape Beach use

Century 1265 

Century 1327

Custom conventional with abu6500

For canal

Century 1327

Odm jigster 

Fenwick custom glass 

I have others that I fit in fishing scenarios. 

Everything is paired with plugs in their ratings 

11 footer definitely makes a difference for distance. 

Hope this helps 

Edited by R.R. Bridge Fisher
Fixed numbers

On 9/22/2022 at 7:13 PM, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I recommend getting a few metal lipped swimmers and try them during the day to feel how they swim/feel. As Steve said do this with all your plugs so when you grab it outta your bag at 2am you already know all about it. 

I use this for big wood...

20180527_103843.jpg.40ec70b03fb945fbb2af839991663b87.jpg

What size is that Fenwick you have there RR?

EA

Posted (edited)

41 mins ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

What size is that Fenwick you have there RR?

EA

So the rod is 10'6

I am not sure of the rating.

My buddy had 3 old rods with big wire guides that he was trashing.  I picked that one and my buddy (@WorcBoy) stripped and re wrapped it beautifully. 

I was casting a softball with a piece of threaded rod and eye bolt drilled thru it at a casting event just for fun. It was over 8 ounces and the rod could have taken More.

I landed some decent fish in strong current at the canal and it had total control over those fish.

It makes pencils dance nicely. 

It's very heavy and not a rod to fish for long outings.

Edited by R.R. Bridge Fisher

Posted (edited)

17 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

So the rod is 10'6

My buddy had 3 old rods with big wire guides that he was trashing.  I picked that one and my buddy (@WorcBoy) stripped and re wrapped it beautifully. 

I was casting a softball with a piece of threaded rod and eye bolt drilled thru it at a casting event just for fun. It was over 8 ounces and the rod could have taken More.

I landed some decent fish in strong current at the canal and it had total control over those fish.

I picked up two of those Surfstiks matching today, except they are 11’ rated for 2-4oz and light as a feather, one spinning and one conventional and they are also two piece!

They seem like very nice rods except, I just didn’t realize how darn fat(diameter)they are at the seat!

EA

Edited by ExcessiveAngler

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

So the rod is 10'6

How is the action on that?

Is it more of a moderate, parabolic action or a broomstick lol?

You said your rod is quite heavy, so I’m imagining that it probably has a much thicker wall than mine!

And Did I read somewhere here in that somebody’s using 6oz custom plugs?

EA

Edited by ExcessiveAngler

6 mins ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

How is the action on that?

Is it more of a moderate, parabolic action or a broomstick lol?

You said your rod is quite heavy, so I’m imagining that it probably has a much thicker wall than mine!

And Did I read somewhere here in that somebody’s using 6oz custom plugs?

EA

As parabolic as you could imagine. I'll let you cast it if you were ever nearby.