ExcessiveAngler

FAVORITE SET UP FOR THROWING CUSTOMS

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

37 mins ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

All right, maybe I’m going loony lol?

I could’ve swore I saw a WTS  thread for a wood SS plug somewhere here?

 

EA

Donny origionaly did all his plugs in wood - worth quite a bit now if you can find one

This doesn't make the plastic ones custom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever rod/reel combo throws mass produced plugs will work for custom plugs in the same weight range.

Everyone will have a different combo they prefer to use.

Have a lot of custom wood but find myself throwing the factory stuff 90% of the time.

Always have something custom in my bag, rod and reel don’t care what gets thrown.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

Great rod (I've had 2, broke one, got another one), but not nearly enough for wood. More of a Bomber / SP Minnow rod

 

And the darter that rolls is a plastic SS ? Something wrong there, send it back, they'll replace it.

Ha ha ha ha…!!!

I guess, I would have to talk to one of you plug hose (PB’s) about that!

I think I have the hook size/wt. messed up lol!

I was talking to another member about this and really didn’t think it mattered that much,But he convinced me that it absolutely does!

I mean, it’s more about weight in the front of the plug correct?

In theory, couldn’t you just use a smaller treble hook and if it weighed the same as the big one, it still would  swim properly wouldn’t it?

Well, I’ll be taking that 11’ TC out and trying it because it comes in at just under 9oz! 

 

 

EA

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recommend getting a few metal lipped swimmers and try them during the day to feel how they swim/feel. As Steve said do this with all your plugs so when you grab it outta your bag at 2am you already know all about it. 

I use this for big wood...

20180527_103843.jpg.40ec70b03fb945fbb2af839991663b87.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Donny origionaly did all his plugs in wood - worth quite a bit now if you can find one

This doesn't make the plastic ones custom

I get what you’re saying and it’s kind of a moot point, as far as I’m concerned lol!

I guess I should’ve never mentioned the darter and got the thread off track!

I was more or less trying to get an idea of what combo everybody’s using for their heavier plugs! I guess I should’ve put that in my title!

I didn’t realize so many people would freak out about calling a SS plug custom!

And I don’t know if it was this site or not, but knew that I saw one for sale somewhere that was wood lol!

 

EA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I recommend getting a few metal lipped swimmers and try them during the day to feel how they swim/feel. As Steve said do this with all your plugs so when you grab it outta your bag at 2am you already know all about it. 

I use this for big wood...

20180527_103843.jpg.40ec70b03fb945fbb2af839991663b87.jpg

What are you freaking hunting Moby with that plug RR lol?

Nice outfit there for sure, but man that plug is dwarfing that Abu BG 7500!

 

EA

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ExcessiveAngler said:

What are you freaking hunting Moby with that plug RR lol?

Nice outfit there for sure, but man that plug is dwarfing that Abu BG 7500!

 

EA

 

65 pound braid 

80 pound leader (don't want to say 120#)

Anyway I'll show you some pics if we ever hit a tide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting thread EA, are you looking for a new set up? Or curious what works best? Or just want to share?? 
 

I think ppl are all over the place on this one… if your main concern is not loosing a plug, which is one of mine and probably everyone’s- i personally don’t think it’s so much the equipment but more so technique and most important (that I have learned on here from listening to guys like SC) is making sure your equipment is in top working order. Like checking your line and leaders all the time- every time. And not being lazy. I learned the hard way- like everyone does… but why would you take a cast if you knew your line was compromised? I have done it- I mean it’s just a little nick in your 50lbs leader, right?? Or maybe that knot you just tied looked a little funny…  Not a big deal.. until something happens mid cast and that’s that. Take the time and re-tie and fix… for me it’s patience 

 

as far as my favorite set up, mine are similar to @R.R. Bridge Fisher. I pretty much only throw heavy wood, except maybe in the summer you’ll catch me with something around 2oz. Generally it’s 3 to 6oz or more. So for me, I have to have a rod that’s capable of handling such a load. It’s not so much length, but the lure weight which is usually 2-6oz. Although you can ask anyone I fish with and they will tell you I prefer a longer rod.  They actually tell me my rods are too big lol there are many other reasons to have a heavy rod as well- like hook setting power and also fish control.

 

 

anyways this is also spot depended , some spots you can not swing a 10ft+ rod so I have some smaller 7ft ish rods. I don’t have many rods,  but have my bases covered. Lately I have been preferring fiberglass rods. Especially for the 7ft rods- I have been using catfishing rods- there’s tons of catfishing rods out there , guys are slinging like 8oz with them catching 50lbs+ catfish… they work well for my unconventional type of fishing I do… for example my 7ft can handle 1 to 10oz 

 

As far as reels, I only use conventional… you’ll only catch me (maybe) using a spinning reel while freshwater fishing. For me, it’s more comfortable I guess and a conventional reel just makes more sense to me. So yeah, I’m out there in the dark slinging wood… after a while it ain’t no thang. You get used to it like anything else. But I prefer the 7000 size reel, plus it has a lower gear ratio which is helpful. 6500 or 6000 is a bit small except in the summer. I have been using 20 to 25lbs sufix superior mono. 
 

Here is a pic of one of my catfishing rods, with a mingyang  cl60 reel (about the same width as the 7000.)FF4FC0CF-11A7-4BB2-A7FF-4D13C73366CD.jpeg.5675623cd535d7ba405d032e63d30d67.jpeg6C35DA0D-A16A-4150-A623-0AC4F51F6FCD.jpeg.879d73d56bcfa20de0561de8a6870245.jpeg

 

 

 

Edited by Mr.Belmar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr.Belmar said:

Interesting thread EA, are you looking for a new set up? Or curious what works best? Or just want to share?? 
 

I think ppl are all over the place on this one… if your main concern is not loosing a plug, which is one of mine and probably everyone’s- i personally don’t think it’s so much the equipment but more so technique and most important (that I have learned on here from listening to guys like SC) is making sure your equipment is in top working order. Like checking your line and leaders all the time- every time. And not being lazy. I learned the hard way- like everyone does… but why would you take a cast if you knew your line was compromised? I have done it- I mean it’s just a little nick in your 50lbs leader, right?? Or maybe that knot you just tied looked a little funny…  Not a big deal.. until something happens mid cast and that’s that. Take the time and re-tie and fix… for me it’s patience 

 

as far as my favorite set up, mine are similar to @R.R. Bridge Fisher. I pretty much only throw heavy wood, except maybe in the summer you’ll catch me with something around 2oz. Generally it’s 3 to 6oz or more. So for me, I have to have a rod that’s capable of handling such a load. It’s not so much length, but the lure weight which is usually 2-6oz. Although you can ask anyone I fish with and they will tell you I prefer a longer rod.  They actually tell me my rods are too big lol there are many other reasons to have a heavy rod as well- like hook setting power and also fish control.

 

 

anyways this is also spot depended , some spots you can not swing a 10ft+ rod so I have some smaller 7ft ish rods. I don’t have many rods,  but have my bases covered. Lately I have been preferring fiberglass rods. Especially for the 7ft rods- I have been using catfishing rods- there’s tons of catfishing rods out there , guys are slinging like 8oz with them catching 50lbs+ catfish… they work well for my unconventional type of fishing I do… for example my 7ft can handle 1 to 10oz 

 

As far as reels, I only use conventional… you’ll only catch me (maybe) using a spinning reel while freshwater fishing. For me, it’s more comfortable I guess and a conventional reel just makes more sense to me. So yeah, I’m out there in the dark slinging wood… after a while it ain’t no thang. You get used to it like anything else. But I prefer the 7000 size reel, plus it has a lower gear ratio which is helpful. 6500 or 6000 is a bit small except in the summer. I have been using 20 to 25lbs sufix superior mono. 
 

Here is a pic of one of my catfishing rods, with a mingyang  cl60 reel (about the same width as the 7000.)FF4FC0CF-11A7-4BB2-A7FF-4D13C73366CD.jpeg.5675623cd535d7ba405d032e63d30d67.jpeg6C35DA0D-A16A-4150-A623-0AC4F51F6FCD.jpeg.879d73d56bcfa20de0561de8a6870245.jpeg

 

 

 

Great post Mr. B 

 

 

You touched on a lot of key things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Mr.Belmar

Very good info and read there!

All the above, sir!

Normally, when I am seeking advice here, I usually do a little research first.

If I can’t obtain all the info I need, then it’s off to posting I go lol.

I knew there was going to be responses all over the board, that’s why I gather everybody’s knowledge and observations and try to utilize them to my ability the best I can, so I can devise my new strategy…!!!

This usually works out quite well for me!

Sure, I also love to share, if anybody can gain any knowledge from one of my threads, I’m absolutely all for that and feel honored!

In the same sense, as much as I don’t like to admit it lol, I don’t know everything.

I used to think I did, until I became a member here and was humbled quite quickly!

It’s truly amazing the amount of knowledge, one can gain here!

I also have learned that what works for one, doesn’t always work for another either!

I’ve been walking around for years over gunned

waiting for that one time that I would need it.

It has helped me out a few times when I needed it, but we all know we get worn out and I have ailments, so I’m starting to switch out my gear again and start going much lighter weight wise.

 

EA

 

 

Edited by ExcessiveAngler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

SS are mass produced plastic plugs

 

Customs are made one at a time by a pkug builder. 

Hope this helps.

It’s funny though!

The packages say Super Strike Custom Lures on them!

 I agree when you say custom about something, but in the same sense, I like to use the Termanology,” individually handcrafted” and hopefully in the USA!

I didn’t put “custom” on their packaging!

Just Sayin lol!

 

EA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what you need to do to get the advice you're looking for is sit down and think of the plugs you will most likely be throwing, weigh them or find out what they weigh. Tell us where you're fishing ie sandy beach, jetty, pier and then people can give you some advice.

 

If you're afraid to lose a plug sure you can throw it on a stiff rod and a reel with 80# braid and lose some distance but then you're only hurting yourself by not giving the plugs a chance to produce and you'll give up and go back to bait or however you tend to fish before.

 

If you give us some specifics, like I'm fishing sandy beaches, throwing sp minnows, Gibbs danny and super strike darters then people can make suggestions but as far as a rod of custom plug rods go? I have 5 surf rods to cover my bases and I could absolutely have more, some plugs weigh 3/4 oz some weigh 6+ oz two totally different rods, would never throw both ends of the spectrum on one rod.

 

I'd fish some of my rods from the beach or in the bay but hate to bring them onto a jetty where I need more backbone or control of a fish, throwing plugs isn't the only influencing factor here.

My advice would be to hit the flea markets in the spring or hawk the BST forum and pick up a bunch of cheap plugs you don't care if you lose(to some extent) and go out and have fun and try. But the more info the good people in SOL have, the better they can assist in making suggestions

 

Maybe even list the rods you currently have with their length, line rating and weight rating to see if any of those work. You've named quite a few rods in multiple posts here so it's kind of hard to keep track of what you have already and what may work for certain applications 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@wjtoggin

Well, originally I was going to post this in my regional forum, but I also wanted to have an idea what everybody else was using in their neck of the woods as well!

Like the few members that posted with the heavy duty conventional‘s and giant swimmers!

I had a feeling right off the go, they weren’t in my area lol!

You do not see many people plugging with conventional gear in my area at all!

And yes, I’m all over the board with the gear I own, I’m a bit excessive lol!  
I didn’t even realize they made custom plugs that were 6 oz ounces???

It is my intention to fish off sandy beaches and will also be in the inlet as well.

I’ve already come to one conclusion.

I’m going to need several set ups, which I kinda new and should have the bases covered already!

I just need to figure out how to beef up a bit, without increasing the combos weight too much! 
I am definitely going to be looking at 9’-11’ rods with a 5000 to 6000 reel and 40-65 pd braid as a spinning set up for sure!

 

 

EA

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.