ExcessiveAngler

FAVORITE SET UP FOR THROWING CUSTOMS

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

11 mins ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

No sir, could not feel anything, that’s why I’m confused!

So, normally you can grab any plug and toss/drag it through the water right out in front of you and see what action it’s going to give off slightly, if not, all the action correct?

EA

My first thought is that the plug is rolling out. If the plug rolls out it will skim on the surface and not work correctly. As stated before, test the plug during the day under similar conditions. A plug works much differently when casted out 75yds

Just now, Sudsy said:

Hate to say it since you already stated you don't do conventionals, but a good 10' to 11' graphite rod and a 6500 size magged conventional with 30# Stealth braid is by far the best way to plug.

You can feel the tiniest change in vibration or bit of grass on a hook far better than with spinning gear. 

This is totally moot if you're fishing somewhere like Montauk where the reel is getting dunked - conventionals don't like that at all.

Whoa..whoa there cowboy lol!

I never said I didn’t do conventions, I’m just not starting with them with my $$$ plugs just yet!

I got a beautiful 8‘6“ BPS fish eagle w/ red Abu 5000 w/ ceramics and for up to 1 1/2 ounces that’s quite deadly and use that at night lol!

Not to mention the other numerous casting reels, I have now acquired from all over god’s creation, since joining the site lol!

Throwing these heavier customs plugs, that’s  a whole different ball game!

It’s not like cracking off an SP minnow, so I’ll be approaching this cautiously lmao!

Guess it’s going to start get interesting now!

EA

17 mins ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

I got a beautiful 8‘6“ BPS fish eagle w/ red Abu 5000 w/ ceramics and for up to 1 1/2 ounces that’s quite deadly and use that at night lol!

Not to mention the other numerous casting reels, I have now acquired from all over god’s creation, since joining the site lol!

Throwing these heavier customs plugs, that’s  a whole different ball game!

It’s not like cracking off an SP minnow, so I’ll be approaching this cautiously lmao!

Guess it’s going to start get interesting now!

EA

That's a bit of a light setup for good size wood, and definately too light if that slob you want eats it.

And FWIW, I mentioned Stealth braid because in all the years I've been casting it I've never had a nest that didn't pull out as easy as mono, and I've never broken off a plug - like I have with braid wrapping around the first guide on a spinning setup on a power cast (One or two may still be in orbit)

Posted (edited)

@Sudsy
I was casting out the darter into swift current!

But usually you can at least get a general idea of the way a plug will swim side to side, at least with factory lol!

The 8’6” set up is for smaller plugs like SP’s,

yo-zuri’s, bombers, jigs and plastics!

I never intended to use any sort of big offering on that set up at all!

And yes,  I do kind of remember the plug rolling over, but seemed like it was doing it just under the surface!

Does that sound right?

I was talking to somebody else and they said it was hook size and placement upfront, will affect the way it would swim or not swim!

EA

Edited by ExcessiveAngler
Tag

On big  plugs like Darters I I am currently favoring a 10 foot Dark Matter rated  3/4-4 oz with a Visser #8

I really only like darters in heavy currents so I prefer a faster rod for such 

I really only have 2 decent 10’ spinners to plug within that range right now and let’s just say one is getting a makeover Arra 1261 and the other is a LDFC100H w/6” off the butt!

I’ve been trying to grab a nice light 10’er for a while now and I’m just contemplating trimming down one of my other 11’s , a 1st gen. GIS TFO 3-8oz that’s more like a 2-5 rod with a butt that’s way too long to begin with!

EA

13 hours ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

@Sudsy

And yes,  I do kind of remember the plug rolling over, but seemed like it was doing it just under the surface!

Does that sound right?

I was talking to somebody else and they said it was hook size and placement upfront, will affect the way it would swim or not swim!

EA

On a swimming plug it's line tie orientation (bend up or down), lip orientation (they can get bent), size/weight of hooks, speed of current.

On a nonlipped plug like a darter the only thing you can do is make sure the line tie is centered and the hooks are the right size and weight. Sometimes wood just don't work, right out of the package - it happens. I've had a few darters, and a few metal lips that were dog rockets and never worked no matter how I tweaked em.

When fishing a darter (in some current), just keep your line tight with a slow retrieve enough to keep it tight and let it swing. 

On 9/21/2022 at 9:04 PM, HugeDinghy said:

My rod warranty clearly states that I can only throw commercially produced plugs. 

But can you throw a Superstrike darter on it, now that they're apparently custom plugs? :angel:

6 hours ago, Sudsy said:

On a swimming plug it's line tie orientation (bend up or down), lip orientation (they can get bent), size/weight of hooks, speed of current.

On a nonlipped plug like a darter the only thing you can do is make sure the line tie is centered and the hooks are the right size and weight. Sometimes wood just don't work, right out of the package - it happens. I've had a few darters, and a few metal lips that were dog rockets and never worked no matter how I tweaked em.

Well, I got out for a little while right before dark last night!

I took a couple different profiles with me!

A SS darter used(The roller lol)and then a new unused one as well, along with a WA needle and a couple different sized metal lips!

I just love the way the swimmers dig in an can feel every little movement of those plugs!

Line management is a reel(lol) issue with the needles, let me tell you that!

I can already see I need a little more moderate action rod for the darters and the needles to keep tension on the line it seems, or deal with wind knots!

The swimmers are definitely easier to work and feel in the current and loved the way they performed!

You can casts them right out into the current and  just actually have them swim right in place, like I do with deep divers on the pier!

I took a 9’er with me last night and that was OK!

I’m going to take a 10‘6“ or 11‘ and just broke out another old rod I forgot about that I think might be  better suited for this, a 11’ Cabelas Predator 2 1/4  test curve!

Not to mention, I just love the design of the blank and Kinda forgot I had it!

EA

7 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

But can you throw a Superstrike darter on it, now that they're apparently custom plugs? :angel:

Even though SS plugs are now mass produced plastics, I just refer to them as a custom plug because they originally hand carved wood correct?

When I think of factory plugs, I generally think of  smaller plastic swimmers and such!

And if you didn’t know any better, just generally looking at them, you would not know they were plastic!

Just like, I think it’s NorthBar, I did not realize they were all plastic plugs either lol!

EA

35 mins ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

and just broke out another old rod I forgot about that I think might be  better suited for this, a 11’ Cabelas Predator 2 1/4  test curve!

Great rod (I've had 2, broke one, got another one), but not nearly enough for wood. More of a Bomber / SP Minnow rod

And the darter that rolls is a plastic SS ? Something wrong there, send it back, they'll replace it.

34 mins ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

Even though SS plugs are now mass produced plastics, I just refer to them as a custom plug because they originally hand carved wood correct?

LOL, no - it's mass produced plastic

Rapalas were origionally hand carved, would you consider a plastic Rapala to be custom pluggage?

5 mins ago, Sudsy said:

LOL, no - it's mass produced plastic

Rapalas were origionally hand carved, would you consider a plastic Rapala to be custom pluggage?

All right, maybe I’m going loony lol?

I could’ve swore I saw a WTS  thread for a wood SS plug somewhere here?

EA