ExcessiveAngler

FAVORITE SET UP FOR THROWING CUSTOMS

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I recently got into throwing custom plugs!

I am was curious what everybody’s favorite set up is for this!

I’m usually using a spinner because I’m out at night. 

I can’t be experimenting with a conventional just yet at night with these plugs!

So, I went out for my first outing recently with a SS darter with a 8’ 1pc Tica2 and conflict 5000 loaded with 50 pound super slick original with 50 pd flouro as leader material.
 I’m not gonna lie, I really didn’t like not being able to feel my plug thumping away.

I know they say that there’s not a lot of action to these darters, but I basically really couldn’t feel anything while slowly retrieving it back against the current!

I was even trying to work it like an underwater slash bait and still didn’t feel the side to side action!

I’ve been other places during a run and I noticed that it looked like they were mostly using 10-11 ft rods!

Is this technically the norm for throwing these wood swimmers, needles and darters?

Are they doing that for distance or does having the longer rod affect the way the plug swims?

Many thanks in advance!

EA

Edited by ExcessiveAngler
Title

23 mins ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

I recently got into throwing custom plugs!

I am was curious what everybody’s favorite set up is for this!

I’m usually using a spinner because I’m out at night. 

I can’t be experimenting with a conventional just yet at night with these plugs!

So, I went out for my first outing recently with a SS darter with a 8’ 1pc Tica2 and conflict 5000 loaded with 50 pound super slick original with 50 pd flouro as leader material.
 I’m not gonna lie, I really didn’t like not being able to feel my plug thumping away.

I know they say that there’s not a lot of action to these darters, but I basically really couldn’t feel anything while slowly retrieving it back against the current!

I was even trying to work it like an underwater slash bait and still didn’t feel the side to side action!

I’ve been other places during a run and I noticed that it looked like they were mostly using 10-11 ft rods!

Is this technically the norm for throwing these wood swimmers, needles and darters?

Are they doing that for distance or does having the longer rod affect the way the plug swims?

Many thanks in advance!

EA

Darters are allowed in Jersey? 

I haven’t caught on an SS darter yet. Seems like your best bet is swing it into the current like you would a bucktail. The action is subtle. (See YouTube videos.) Not a thumper that would translate to the rod tip. 

I like a 10’ MH (rated 1-5 but really 2-5) for wood plugs & plastic Doc or Super Strike darters/bottles. I pair my 10’er with a 6000 Gosa & 30 lbs suffix - 40 or 50 lbs leader. Can’t throw that combo all night right now, but a short session of big profile plugs - if they’re gonna get hit, I’m thinking that’s gonna happen fairly quickly. If not, I move on to a combo that weighs less.

My last (now broken) 9’er handled the 2/3/4 ounce plugs great but not so much the SPs & MDs so I’m fine with using multiple rods to get better results. 

Darter needs good current to swim properly, slower moving water there are better choices. They take some time to get a feel for working them properly, even then the feedback is subtle....just have to know the conditions they like and throw em with confidence  Don't run deep either regardless of current. I think the darter was born for the north side of Montauk...the shallow water and honking speed on the drop is what makes it so effective out east.

^^ this. I don't use darters in the surf (NJ beaches with soft structure only and shallow) except for a couple that have good action in slow/no current. regarding setup, I have two that I use VSX 150 on a 10 foot ODM Nex1 rated 1-4 and a VS200 on a Lami 1201m. I find both work plugs well when I'm casting short. I'm thinking about going bigger though, to 10.5 or even 11 given i often need the casting distance to reach better water - but then that really negates using the wood plugs since they cast awfully. 

7 hours ago, EricDice said:

Darters are allowed in Jersey? 

I haven’t caught on an SS darter yet. Seems like your best bet is swing it into the current like you would a bucktail. The action is subtle. (See YouTube videos.) Not a thumper that would translate to the rod tip. 

I like a 10’ MH (rated 1-5 but really 2-5) for wood plugs & plastic Doc or Super Strike darters/bottles. I pair my 10’er with a 6000 Gosa & 30 lbs suffix - 40 or 50 lbs leader. Can’t throw that combo all night right now, but a short session of big profile plugs - if they’re gonna get hit, I’m thinking that’s gonna happen fairly quickly. If not, I move on to a combo that weighs less.

My last (now broken) 9’er handled the 2/3/4 ounce plugs great but not so much the SPs & MDs so I’m fine with using multiple rods to get better results. 

First off,  let me thank everyone so far!
Well, I foolishly went the first time with a stout 7 ft rod and stunk using that!

That rods a broomstick too!

I have plenty of spinning rods/reels to work with, just figuring out which one to use is the question!

I have All Star Breakaways in 9’ and 10’ (PO had 6” taken off the butt) in spinning, 11 ft TFO and Moho surf 2-8 rods, 9-10’ Arra rods 

I got rods up to 15ft, if I really need them lol!

I have some custom Lami’s here, but they all need their guides updated, except for my 11 ft, 1 pc, brown pencil rod!

And after watching the video at the Lami site of a GSB taking 60 pounds of force before there was a failure!

I’m thinking I might want to take my very old GSB and redo that one!

I’m actually trying to pick up a black hole Suzuki in the BST right now that I passed up once before!

However, that’s not really looking too good at the  moment!

EA

SS Darters will give you lots of feedback if you focus. Its funny, I struggle catching fish on darters when I'm fishing/talking with friends bc there's too much distraction. 

My advice to you is test the plug during the day to get an idea of retrieve speed. Too fast and the darter with roll out. Rod tip low, and catching the line as the darter is about to hit the water will help it bite, otherwise a swift tap of the rod tip should bury the nose. Once the darter is under, a slow steady retrieve will give you great success. 

In my opinion you are making the basic mistake of not swimming your lures in daytime before using them at night or you'd know how the plug was responding and the "feel" associated with the action. The solution won't be found online 

9 mins ago, SC said:

In my opinion you are making the basic mistake of not swimming your lures in daytime….

The solution won't be found online  

So… it is called stripersonline, Campo. :sarc:

(Kidding. Always look forward to your contributions! )

1 hour ago, DragonsLax48 said:

SS Darters will give you lots of feedback if you focus. Its funny, I struggle catching fish on darters when I'm fishing/talking with friends bc there's too much distraction. 

My advice to you is test the plug during the day to get an idea of retrieve speed. Too fast and the darter with roll out. Rod tip low, and catching the line as the darter is about to hit the water will help it bite, otherwise a swift tap of the rod tip should bury the nose. Once the darter is under, a slow steady retrieve will give you great success. 

That's one of the reason I hate fishing dartah. Especially from an elevated position. Everything from waist up is sore after a session. 

1 hour ago, hobobob said:

That's one of the reason I hate fishing dartah. Especially from an elevated position. Everything from waist up is sore after a session. 

It don’t matter what I’m plugging with, I don’t last very long anymore!

I used to be able to go throw pencils for hours all day, and then switch over to other things after dark.

Unless, I’m in the back with a 7 ft rod/reel throwing an ounce or less!

I’ve been hanging on the piers and bridges when able, it’s just easier for me!

Buuut, landing the fish, not always so easy, at least my fish anyway LMAO!

Next time I’m taking a 9’ and 11’ and see what happens with those set-ups!

The one thing I’m having a problem with is, I really like to be able to feel my plug thumping along, almost feels unnatural to just reel in a somewhat slack line that has a big darter attached to it. I really like to feel the thump of a swim bait

I’ve always thrown my offerings, no matter what they are up current and always let them swing back by me, if I’m able to do so.

Is there such a thing as, just maybe I won’t be a darter guy lol?

I know, gotta give it lots more time lol.

i’m a jig fisherman and this is quite a learning curve, with the darter anyway!

EA

Just now, DragonsLax48 said:

You should be able to feel a SS darter thumping

No sir, could not feel anything, that’s why I’m confused!

So, normally you can grab any plug and toss/drag it through the water right out in front of you and see what action it’s going to give off slightly, if not, all the action correct?

EA

Hate to say it since you already stated you don't do conventionals, but a good 10' to 11' graphite rod and a 6500 size magged conventional with 30# Stealth braid is by far the best way to plug.

You can feel the tiniest change in vibration or bit of grass on a hook far better than with spinning gear. 

This is totally moot if you're fishing somewhere like Montauk where the reel is getting dunked - conventionals don't like that at all.

12 mins ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

No sir, could not feel anything, that’s why I’m confused!

So, normally you can grab any plug and toss/drag it through the water right out in front of you and see what action it’s going to give off slightly, if not, all the action correct?

EA

That's not how darter works. A darter need to bite into the current first. It need current, and a good amount of line out.