Chass510

Light heaver spinning rod

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, EricL said:

Obviously some dont throw bait here.

A bait rod takes into account for 1,2-3 oz of bait.

Id you get a 5-10, 6-12 rated rod. Those are heavers.  Usually rated using a sinker.

Get yourself like a Penn Battalion, works fine. And not expensive.

Try if you dont believe.

eyeing the Penn Battalion 12’ rated 4-10 . Any experience with these? I’m curious what it’s sweet spot is.

8 hours ago, Chass510 said:

im looking to rocket 5 ounces of lead out and a bunker chunk. Sand spiked: This will be its only objective .. I’m pretty dead set on 12’ but open to experiential suggestions..  My reel is currently a BG 5000 with 30 pound braid 

looking to spend less than $150 ideally 

Take a  look at the Okuma Rokaway HD

12', rated 6-16oz, or

11', rated 3-8oz

around $150

70/30 split

5 hours ago, Chass510 said:

I’ll be honest I’m can’t fully get my head around this - is it a Saftey feature? 

Breakaway impact shield - Veals Mail Order Impact Shields - Bing video

Video shows how to rig an original style impact shield - if you drag this on the ground during either a OTG or Uni-Tech cast, the shield will be pulled to pulled down towards the sinker and release the hook before the sinker starts to come around.  The wire "lock" on the OTG shield prevents this from happening, and the shield only releases the hook upon vertical impact with the water.  Therefore, with either shield, a high arc cast release is required - a flat arc cast will not release the hook when it hits the water. 

0718211846.jpg

81XMPjamAZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

2 hours ago, FlatWing said:

Breakaway impact shield - Veals Mail Order Impact Shields - Bing video

Video shows how to rig an original style impact shield - if you drag this on the ground during either a OTG or Uni-Tech cast, the shield will be pulled to pulled down towards the sinker and release the hook before the sinker starts to come around.  The wire "lock" on the OTG shield prevents this from happening, and the shield only releases the hook upon vertical impact with the water.  Therefore, with either shield, a high arc cast release is required - a flat arc cast will not release the hook when it hits the water. 

0718211846.jpg

81XMPjamAZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Interesting.

Tsunami Trophy xh rated 6-10 .

Compared to my 14 oz rated Penn pgs- the Trophy is less robust with a shorter butt length and more flex.

I consider it my light heaver. It has a Shimano 6500 that is to big for the rod a 4500 would be a perfect fit.

3 hours ago, triumph said:

Tsunami Trophy xh rated 6-10 .

Compared to my 14 oz rated Penn pgs- the Trophy is less robust with a shorter butt length and more flex.

I consider it my light heaver. It has a Shimano 6500 that is to big for the rod a 4500 would be a perfect fit.

How tall what’s its sweet spot?