MEF

New shimano twinpower

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Has anyone used the new twinpowers in either the 4000 or 5000 size? Wondering if there is something out there that will do the job a little better than my vr50. I do wade fish a ton, but I think the reel has only gotten dunked once in the last year and I never turn the handle underwater. I really just want a smoother retrieve and a more predictable drag. 

Twinpower XD is phenomenal.  Stay away from the Twinpower FD, just not worth the money.  XD 5000 & 4000 will be pretty compatible as far as sizing goes to the VR50.  Have a lot of fish between albies, tog, bass & blues on my XD, and its definitely well worth the money, probably one of the most powerful reels in its class.  Just keep in mind, the 4000 & 5000 are basically the same reel.  I would opt for the 5000 as you get greater capacity with really minimal if any weight difference.  

29 mins ago, Waverider23 said:

Twinpower XD is phenomenal.  Stay away from the Twinpower FD, just not worth the money.  XD 5000 & 4000 will be pretty compatible as far as sizing goes to the VR50.  Have a lot of fish between albies, tog, bass & blues on my XD, and its definitely well worth the money, probably one of the most powerful reels in its class.  Just keep in mind, the 4000 & 5000 are basically the same reel.  I would opt for the 5000 as you get greater capacity with really minimal if any weight difference.  

how is it with regards to water resistance? I know it's not a van staal of course, but will it hand the occasional splash and possibly the accidental dunk here and there?

29 mins ago, MEF said:

how is it with regards to water resistance? I know it's not a van staal of course, but will it hand the occasional splash and possibly the accidental dunk here and there?

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but pretty much any reel will do that if you hose it off afterwards.

36 mins ago, MEF said:

It's a kayak reel for me so it definitely gets wet and dunked occasionally, sees some surf launches too.  I lightly use the mist function on my hose and its been totally fine.  Every once in a while I get a grain of salt or sand somewhere and it starts making light noises but goes away pretty quickly.  I would probably order a spare line roller and keep it handy, especially these days where things don't exist sometimes, that at worst would probably be the only issue, it was with my previous gen XD but then again I only replaced it once ever.  If you definitely drop your reel and sand, stick with the VR50.  I have both reels, two different purposes for me.  VR50 for light surf, sandy beaches, the paddleboard, etc. where the twinpower is my go-to kayak, boat, and light surf reel.  Regardless what reel it is, I always keep a spray bottle in my truck so I can spray down lightly before heading home.

I have a pair of the 4000xd, love them.   Mine don't get wet or dunked but the performance of drag and weight of reel is awesome. 

I got both of mine from digitaka for around 300.

Posted (edited)

Either one will be fine. Just don’t let it spend too much time underwater. 

Stella FK thru Ultegra FC all have the same water intrusion barriers and they do alright..

Major difference between XD and FD;

XD 10 vs 9 bearings FD

XD Ci4 MGL rotor vs Al rotor FD

XD SST SW barrier coat spool lip vs SST Ti coated lip FD

XD has Ti bail vs SST on FD

Either one is good to go, just go C5000 for better line capy and a power knob…

Edited by Inshore

15 hours ago, Waverider23 said:

Stay away from the Twinpower FD, just not worth the money.

Why is it not worth the money?

9 hours ago, Sailah said:

I have a pair of the 4000xd, love them.   Mine don't get wet or dunked but the performance of drag and weight of reel is awesome. 

I got both of mine from digitaka for around 300.

Not trying to steal thread--but how was digitaka for shipping times etc?

21 mins ago, sailfish1 said:

Not trying to steal thread--but how was digitaka for shipping times etc?

Great, like 3 days no kidding to my door in MA.  I ordered 1 to start and see how it went.  After I got the first one I ordered another.  The price difference is nuts on the TP in Japan vs US, some of the other reels not so much.

4 mins ago, Sailah said:

Great, like 3 days no kidding to my door in MA.  I ordered 1 to start and see how it went.  After I got the first one I ordered another.  The price difference is nuts on the TP in Japan vs US, some of the other reels not so much.

i live in MA too--no extra fees? duties?

2 hours ago, sailfish1 said:

i live in MA too--no extra fees? duties?

1 hour ago, Sailah said:

Nope 

Not quite. Digitaka ships exclusively via FedEx.

FedEx will send you a duty invoice a couple weeks later if they deem necessary.

XD and FD are freshwater and light surf duty. One has more rigid aluminum rotor the other fancy MGL (plastic) rotor. SW lines are built more heavy duty. Dunk any one of them and I would service right away. Random light splashes I'd be less concerned.