Massachusetts: North of Boston, Ramps Conducive to Solo Launch

Rate this topic

ermghoti

I briefly had a boat, which I took to Lynn on Saturday afternoon. Wind/waves were reported to be negligible, and a friend stated it was high tide when he was departing a few hours earlier. My fault for not checking; it was about dead high when I arrived, inshore wind had picked up so the <1ft waves were a fast-paced chop, and there was no way to reach a cleat without swimming. Fortunately nobody was there to witness my googanism.

Where else in the area is there an adequate ramp with a bit of dock to tie off while one parks? Winter Island? Winthrop? Small tin boat, I don't need to launch the QE2, so any place with an adequate place to beach it would also be fine.

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

I have so many stories about that Lynn Boat Ramp. The rocks in there alone can give you a flat tire. Thats right the gravel alone punctured two of my tires over 10 years. Happens. One time there was a woman who looked at me and said "I don't want to live anymore". Gunned it and launched down the ramp. She was every bit of 300lbs when she beached and rolled herself on the ramp like a whale. I was more pissed about having to go to Winthrop to launch that night as her piece of **** car was submerged at the ramp making it impossible to launch the boat. 

Now I have a tinny and I don't really care about hitting the wall or beaching on the shitty concrete. You can launch or land at that ramp in really any boat by yourself. Takes practice and some rope and bumpers. Swim platforms help there especially when launching. 
Watch out for the heavy chics trying to commit suicide.

3 hours ago, The Riddler said:

I have so many stories about that Lynn Boat Ramp. The rocks in there alone can give you a flat tire. Thats right the gravel alone punctured two of my tires over 10 years. Happens. One time there was a woman who looked at me and said "I don't want to live anymore". Gunned it and launched down the ramp. She was every bit of 300lbs when she beached and rolled herself on the ramp like a whale. I was more pissed about having to go to Winthrop to launch that night as her piece of **** car was submerged at the ramp making it impossible to launch the boat. 

Now I have a tinny and I don't really care about hitting the wall or beaching on the shitty concrete. You can launch or land at that ramp in really any boat by yourself. Takes practice and some rope and bumpers. Swim platforms help there especially when launching. 
Watch out for the heavy chics trying to commit suicide.

Lynn, Lynn, city of sin, watch out for the ramp where the fat girls go in.

I'm a newb, the chop was small but energetic (the boat started spinning on the trailer before the mid point reached the guide-ons), but it sounds like my plan A of beaching it on the right side of the ramp would have worked out if I had the sack for it.

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

On 9/21/2022 at 2:22 PM, The Riddler said:

...One time there was a woman who looked at me and said "I don't want to live anymore". Gunned it and launched down the ramp. .....

Wow, you have that effect on people too? I thought I was the only one that can conjure up a commanding red-eyed sneer. At least that is what my wife says..

19 hours ago, ermghoti said:

Kernwood looks ideal! There's mention on the signage of a $5 launch fee and a $10 parking fee, those are separate, or are they just discouraging the use of the lot by non-tow/haul vehicles? Not an impediment, but one would need to have the correct change.

In typical MA fashion, it is $5 to launch and park a vehicle and trailer and $10 to park without launching. Found out first hand when my friend met me there with his car, the guy working the gate said it was exactly for the reason you stated to prevent people from parking there if not launching. The lot is big enough that I doubt it would ever be an issue not to mention there is really no draw for people to just park there, there is nothing around. 

2 hours ago, MacCTD said:

In typical MA fashion, it is $5 to launch and park a vehicle and trailer and $10 to park without launching. Found out first hand when my friend met me there with his car, the guy working the gate said it was exactly for the reason you stated to prevent people from parking there if not launching. The lot is big enough that I doubt it would ever be an issue not to mention there is really no draw for people to just park there, there is nothing around. 

I could see it being a problem, one guy brings his 30' CC, and four other guys drive down to meet him. It might be walking-ish distance to a commuter rail? Carpooling is a low price to pay for walk-on access to the boat IMO.

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075