Fall Chu fishing

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, tobiasfrost said:

Two more again today, same spot I got two the other day.  Interestingly I didn't catch them today until afternoon, same as the other day, despite getting there around 7:30 or so.  Second one was a hair shy of 19 inches but she was fattening up for winter, a little over 2 pounds.

I got that second fish in a way I never thought I'd catch a lake trout.  I'd noticed schools of bait moving along the shore right in front of me a couple times throughout the day.  I wondered if I'd ever see something chasing them, be it a fish or a loon or something, but never did.  Then late in the afternoon it got real quiet and suddenly there was a loud splash right next to me.  There was more bait I hadn't noticed and something was working them in no more than 6 inches of water.  I had a burst of insight and quickly put on a 1/8 oz. silver Kastmaster, and caught that 19" laker no more than 10 feet from the water edge.  Never thought I'd sight cast to a rising lake trout of all things.

Good way to end the season at Wachusett.  Weather sounds iffy tomorrow so I'll rest and end on a high note.

Good job! Lakers will chase bait all the way to the shallow water barely covers their body. One time I saw a big laker chasing baitfish and somehow got stuck at the rocky shoreline, I could almost catch him by hand if I were closer. 

18 hours ago, tobiasfrost said:

I had a burst of insight and quickly put on a 1/8 oz. silver Kastmaster, and caught that 19" laker no more than 10 feet from the water edge.  Never thought I'd sight cast to a rising lake trout of all things.

A couple of years ago, in the spring, I caught a laker as I reeled in a slip bobber set up that I was using for rainbow or salmon. I could see the laker's dorsal and tail fins breaking the surface while the fish followed it in. As I it was getting closer, I stopped reeling for a second, then the laker hit it.

Edited by zak-striper

What an insane laker bite the last 2 weeks. They were all stacked where I was. Me and my buddy played a game to see how many fish we could get in 10 casts. The winner was 8. Not much size but I personally must of caught almost 100 Lakers in 5 trips. All on spoons as bait wasn't getting a sniff. Looking forward to next spring.

20221124_070749.jpg

3 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

What an insane laker bite the last 2 weeks. They were all stacked where I was. Me and my buddy played a game to see how many fish we could get in 10 casts. The winner was 8. Not much size but I personally must of caught almost 100 Lakers in 5 trips. All on spoons as bait wasn't getting a sniff. Looking forward to next spring.

20221124_070749.jpg

Yup, we must have fished the same area. Unreal bite!!! There were days I would hook up or get hits on every cast for a few hours. It was my best fall at the Chu and I fish only artificials. I was done with the salt at the end of October and started hitting the Chu since then. I never got skunked this Fall which is unbelievable. There were always lakers willing to play and many days I got them in the double digits. Same observation as you though: nothing of size, most fish were 16"-17" with a few over 20" in the mix but I will take it. I am already excited for opening day in April next year!

1 min ago, Deniz said:

Yup, we must have fished the same area. Unreal bite!!! There were days I would hook up or get hits on every cast for a few hours. It was my best fall at the Chu and I fish only artificials. I was done with the salt at the end of October and started hitting the Chu since then. I never got skunked this Fall which is unbelievable. There were always lakers willing to play and many days I got them in the double digits. Same observation as you though: nothing of size, most fish were 16"-17" with a few over 20" in the mix but I will take it. I am already excited for opening day in April next year!

I couldn't buy a follow never mind a bite:banghd:

troll #122  <*)))<

3 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I couldn't buy a follow never mind a bite:banghd:

Same, most days.  I had equal days I got one bite and landed and nothing at all.  The last two trips when I got 2 were outliers.  I guess I just don't know where to go because I'm using the same stuff people talk about.  Perch, orange/chrome, firetiger, blue/chrome Kastmasters, 1/2 to 1 ounce.  Letting it hit bottom, starting retrieve at varying depths, changing retrieve speeds, etc.  I was even experimenting with some small soft plastic teasers.  Never hooked anything on a teaser but I did catch bass and lakers with one on the rig.

I get fish when they move past where I'm at.  I don't know any place they tend to hang out for any period of time.  By the time I land and dispatch one, if there were more they've moved on already.

Edited by tobiasfrost