Fall Chu fishing

Rate this topic

One way you can tell is the fight. You mentioned it leaped and  that is a sure sign to start with.  Add that and the color, three stripes on the cheek and lack of black spots down the lateral line. I will take a smallie any day of the week in freshwater. One of the best fighters there is.

Edited by JEFFSOD

3 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

Easiest and fool proof way is to look at where the bottom jaw location is. If the jaw hinge barely reaches the eye its a Small mouth . If it extends into the eyeline or even slightly past well it's a largemouth.

Cool, thanks.  Now I know I've caught a smallmouth at least once.

22 hours ago, tobiasfrost said:

What kind of metals / retrieve were you doing when you caught so many the other day?

Krokodiles and 3/4-1oz kastmasters. Need to fish them extremely slow on the bottom. Barly crawl them along the bottom. The technique seems to vary day to day. Sometimes faster sometimes slower. All in playing around to see what they want. They wanted a very far cast as well but that may be based on location.

Edited by SalmonAndStriper Stalker

Really good Smallmouth bite this morning.  Perfect cloudy conditions with an ideal 10-12mph wind.  I love the mid/late November bite.  They push up very shallow and are looking to eat.  Ended up with 8 in about 3.5 hours of fishing.  Most of my bass are running about 4lbs give or take a little.  Not many guys out which was surprising given how warm it was.  Blade baits continue to get it done for me.  They wanted it on the bottom though.  Let it sit and wait for the tick.  

Edited by frezzy

On 11/24/2022 at 6:04 PM, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

Krokodiles and 3/4-1oz kastmasters. Need to fish them extremely slow on the bottom. Barly crawl them along the bottom. The technique seems to vary day to day. Sometimes faster sometimes slower. All in playing around to see what they want. They wanted a very far cast as well but that may be based on location.

So your retrieve is like that of a rubber worm? 

troll #122  <*)))<

I finally broke the curse of one-or-none.  Not counting the day I caught two bass, one barely bigger than the lure.  I was going to stay a bit closer to sunset but I accidentally tangled my lines, so I cut and ran.  These were taken on 1 oz. perch and 3/4 oz. rainbow trout pattern Kastmasters (the smaller on the larger lure, go figure).  I caught the smaller first.  I would've released it if I already had the larger one.  Such is life I guess.

One day I'll catch a rainbow or salmon.  Maybe not this year though.

1231231.jpg.4a2b3dc129b7d49b6b55cd13e10004aa.jpg

4 mins ago, tobiasfrost said:

I finally broke the curse of one-or-none.  Not counting the day I caught two bass, one barely bigger than the lure.  I was going to stay a bit closer to sunset but I accidentally tangled my lines, so I cut and ran.  These were taken on 1 oz. perch and 3/4 oz. rainbow trout pattern Kastmasters (the smaller on the larger lure, go figure).  I caught the smaller first.  I would've released it if I already had the larger one.  Such is life I guess.

One day I'll catch a rainbow or salmon.  Maybe not this year though.

Nice! Well done!

I'm a little jealous of you guys with the time and patience to devote to cracking this spot! Maybe next season I'll give it an honest try.

@zak-striper you offering guide services by any chance? :p 

1 hour ago, Intrepid95 said:

@zak-striper you offering guide services by any chance? :p 

sorry, but no. i learned the 'Chu the old fashioned way, by fishing it a lot, putting in my time through out the year, season after season.

it really isn't that hard to fish. lakers, rainbows, smallies, ll salmon & largemouths have cyclical patterns, year after year, based on month, water temperature, spawning, air pressure, wind, sunny or cloudy, etc. if you know the seasonal patterns of the fish you're targeting, you should be able to look at a depth chart and know where to try. learn where your fish most likely are, and you can figure out where to fish the rez.

Edited by zak-striper

Two more again today, same spot I got two the other day.  Interestingly I didn't catch them today until afternoon, same as the other day, despite getting there around 7:30 or so.  Second one was a hair shy of 19 inches but she was fattening up for winter, a little over 2 pounds.

I got that second fish in a way I never thought I'd catch a lake trout.  I'd noticed schools of bait moving along the shore right in front of me a couple times throughout the day.  I wondered if I'd ever see something chasing them, be it a fish or a loon or something, but never did.  Then late in the afternoon it got real quiet and suddenly there was a loud splash right next to me.  There was more bait I hadn't noticed and something was working them in no more than 6 inches of water.  I had a burst of insight and quickly put on a 1/8 oz. silver Kastmaster, and caught that 19" laker no more than 10 feet from the water edge.  Never thought I'd sight cast to a rising lake trout of all things.

Good way to end the season at Wachusett.  Weather sounds iffy tomorrow so I'll rest and end on a high note.

Edited by tobiasfrost