Richard_the_Aughth

Fall Chu fishing

Rate this topic

104 posts in this topic

Just now, Richard_the_Aughth said:

That's good to know! I had always thought that dropping air pressure was good for fishing there. This might explain my catch rate! 

you have to be on the front side of falling pressure. when it starts to change, fish often put on the feed bag.

 

once it bottoms out, that's when fish often get lock jaw. the low pressure effs with their air bladders, often pushing them to deeper water, were they sit on the bottom until they are comfortable once the pressure starts rising again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 mins ago, zak-striper said:

you have to be on the front side of falling pressure. when it starts to change, fish often put on the feed bag.

 

once it bottoms out, that's when fish often get lock jaw. the low pressure effs with their air bladders, often pushing them to deeper water, were they sit on the bottom until they are comfortable once the pressure starts rising again.

Can you show how to look for the air pressure on the Ap you use? I would like to learn to read that info. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, young said:

Can you show how to look for the air pressure on the Ap you use? I would like to learn to read that info. Thanks

It's a website, windy_com. Somewhere in the right, there's a layers tool where you can pick pressure rather than seeing the wind speed & direction. The site has an app. I've never tried it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 11/15/2022 at 8:16 PM, tobiasfrost said:

Today was frustrating because I had fish follow a lure to my feet at least 3 times that I noticed with no hit.

If you're getting this a lot, try changing up your retrieve a little. If you're reeling a kastmaster straight in, try giving the lure some subtle twitches or let it drop a little. The jerking motion may inspire a fish to bite. It makes the lure look like it's fleeing or injured, which may cause a reactionary strike.

 

More than once I've caught salmon when I changed my retrieve, mid retrieve, from a straight retrieve, to one with subtle twitches. The erratic movement of the lure inspired the fish to bite.

 

Quote

  Had one bite on a 4" soft plastic shad but it just bit the tail again right at my feet and I pulled it out of the fish's mouth.  I hadn't seen a fish for a while at that point so was trying random things.  At one point I even had a trout come swimming in the shallows following the shoreline right at me.  Two of them were rainbows that I could tell.  Couldn't get any other bites or hookups.

smaller lures and lighter leaders helps with trout & salmon, especially if the water isn't very choppy and it's sunny. the water at the rez is gin clear. the fish get a good look at your offerings. when i'm targeting rainbows & salmon with lures, i use an 8lb test flouro leader and use small metals and spoons, rather than 3/4 or 1 oz, which i use for lakers & smallies.

 

18 hours ago, tobiasfrost said:

  I experimented a bit today tying a teaser above a Kastmaster.  Nothing took the teaser today obviously but I don't see why it wouldn't work. 

i've seen guys use teasers up there. they do work. 

Edited by zak-striper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, zak-striper said:

i've seen guys use teasers up there. they do work. 

I've thought about doing this, but haven't yet. May be time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, zak-striper said:

I snuck out of work a little early on Wed afternoon so I could get a couple of hours in at the Chu before the early sunset.

 

I haven't been there in months. As of last Thu night - Fri morning, I was still catching slot sized stripers on the Cape.

 

I fished the rez even though I had doubts because the air pressure bottomed out a couple of hours before I got there. Low air pressure often turns off the bite.

 

I got one typical laker on a spoon. The fish hit pretty close to shore. I caught it on a lure I throw for rainbows & salmon so I was actually surprised it was a laker. When I 1st hooked it, I thought I had a rainbow.

 

There was still some snow on the trails from the overnight snow.

 

Screenshot_20221116-120940_Chrome.jpg.1aaa0ad85e57a2fe64a1e80dbbdb7979.jpg

 

 

20221116_161914.jpg.7735825208c60a50c91b553c787eb750.jpg

 

 

20221116_140036.jpg.a96d81af028623a5150ebbba25a0d978.jpg

 

 

I've been trying to get the pressure to show on that same app, are you using the premium version?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I've been trying to get the pressure to show on that same app, are you using the premium version?

 

No, I use the free website.  There's a tool bar on the right. If you click that bottom arrow that I circled in red, "more layers", a search bar shows up on the right. Once the search bar shows up, enter "pressure". Click the pressure icon under the search field. Pressure then shows up in the tool bar. Bookmark the page once the main map shows the high and low pressure systems so you don't have to keep doing this everytime you visit the site.

 

 

w1.jpg.da4b44605a19e6b39c5f03f57343690f.jpg

 

w2.jpg.8380abb12001425d5fc97e6c54d51962.jpg

 

w3.jpg.723e1988d64b2467cac38ff3fac6eba7.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, zak-striper said:

 

No, I use the free website.  There's a tool bar on the right. If you click that bottom arrow that I circled in red, "more layers", a search bar shows up on the right. Once the search bar shows up, enter "pressure". Click the pressure icon under the search field. Pressure then shows up in the tool bar. Bookmark the page once the main map shows the high and low pressure systems so you don't have to keep doing this everytime you visit the site.

 

 

w1.jpg.da4b44605a19e6b39c5f03f57343690f.jpg

 

w2.jpg.8380abb12001425d5fc97e6c54d51962.jpg

 

w3.jpg.723e1988d64b2467cac38ff3fac6eba7.jpg

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I've been trying to get the pressure to show on that same app, are you using the premium version?

On the right hand side, click the 3 horizontal lines, then more layers, then scroll all the way down to pressure- here’s a screen capture from my app.. not sure if it helps at all.

 

16279E6A-934D-4E8E-BDC1-2CA7E7B726CD.jpeg

E6FA891F-7241-4BC6-BB36-D12F347A34E4.jpeg

60628088-E62D-4758-A798-594020FA591D.jpeg

Edited by Fitzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

On the right hand side, click the 3 horizontal lines, then more layers, then scroll all the way down to pressure- here’s a screen capture from my app.. not sure if it helps at all.

 

16279E6A-934D-4E8E-BDC1-2CA7E7B726CD.jpeg

E6FA891F-7241-4BC6-BB36-D12F347A34E4.jpeg

60628088-E62D-4758-A798-594020FA591D.jpeg

Thank you,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another this afternoon, got a late start so maybe fished under 3 hours after time spent spot hopping and hiking.  This time on a 3/4 ounce Kastmaster perch pattern, a little over 18" and 1lb. 15 ounces, remembered to weigh it at home.  I was surprised to feel something in the stomach this time, as every other lake trout I've taken has had a completely empty stomach.  I realized pretty quickly though that it felt weird, and I suspected it was soft plastics before I even cut it open.  Should I be worried about this at all?  I also noticed that the liver was abnormal and yellow in color, possibly enlarged.  You can see it in the bag close to the knife.  I should've taken a better picture of it.

 

I know some species of fish spit out undigested parts of smaller fish they eat that can't fit out the other end, but I don't know about lake trout.  I wonder how long those were in there.  As you can see, the fish is in good condition and of a good weight, other than the plastics in it's belly and the liver.

 

123123.jpg.6478bebca04d7fb9c7b77d2f6e70299a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, tobiasfrost said:

Another this afternoon, got a late start so maybe fished under 3 hours after time spent spot hopping and hiking.  This time on a 3/4 ounce Kastmaster perch pattern, a little over 18" and 1lb. 15 ounces, remembered to weigh it at home.  I was surprised to feel something in the stomach this time, as every other lake trout I've taken has had a completely empty stomach.  I realized pretty quickly though that it felt weird, and I suspected it was soft plastics before I even cut it open.  Should I be worried about this at all?  I also noticed that the liver was abnormal and yellow in color, possibly enlarged.  You can see it in the bag close to the knife.  I should've taken a better picture of it.

 

I know some species of fish spit out undigested parts of smaller fish they eat that can't fit out the other end, but I don't know about lake trout.  I wonder how long those were in there.  As you can see, the fish is in good condition and of a good weight, other than the plastics in it's belly and the liver.

 

123123.jpg.6478bebca04d7fb9c7b77d2f6e70299a.jpg

Have you eaten a lake trout from there before? I tried it once, and only once because of how bad it was. I threw up for about 30 minutes after eating it because it was so awful. But I have heard that some people do like them. What was your experience?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Have you eaten a lake trout from there before? I tried it once, and only once because of how bad it was. I threw up for about 30 minutes after eating it because it was so awful. But I have heard that some people do like them. What was your experience?

What? Really? I've eaten every single one and they are delicious.  I grill them with some herbs and lemon and green onion.  We've also smoked one.  Three of us here all enjoy them and no one has been sick at all.  I haven't been counting but this is maybe the sixth one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tobiasfrost said:

What? Really? I've eaten every single one and they are delicious.  I grill them with some herbs and lemon and green onion.  We've also smoked one.  Three of us here all enjoy them and no one has been sick at all.  I haven't been counting but this is maybe the sixth one.

Maybe I will try it again, but the one I caught was maybe 2.5 lbs heavy and 1000 lbs awful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fished today, we walked miles.

Not a hit or follow. 

We got surveved by DCR twice. It sounds like not much was caught in his surveys.

Beautiful area....

20221118_110912.jpg

20221118_110908.jpg

20221118_110826.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.