Richard_the_Aughth

Fall Chu fishing

Rate this topic

104 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, zak-striper said:

seriously? the water is gin clear. 

for what it's worth. on my lure rods i use 15lb main braid with a 12lb flouro for lakers/ smallies or a 8lb flouro leader for salmon/rainbow

Don't worry, I just got back from the store with those weights on a separate reel to take to the reservoir.  Also getting an old fly rod and reel setup again to mess around with, but I think my arm will get tired pretty quick at first.

1 hour ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I fished the Res today. I tried 3 areas and not a sniff.

sunny with little to no wind is always a bad omen.

7 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Me the one time I tried last fall lol

Like any sort of fishing, I get that it takes time to learn the times/conditions and corresponding techniques that work.

Much respect to those of you who have it figured out. My trip was a humbling experience to say the least lol

21 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I was out, got one 18" around sunrise, not a thing after.  Stayed all day and tried sunset too.  Tried some new spots to no avail.

The few I've caught so far have all come from the same spot, the same patch of water, but always on separate trips.  It's uncanny almost.

Oh, also, at one point I noticed one of the rear treble hooks on my crankbait was bent inwards.  How the heck does that happen?  I remembered having a snag earlier in the day, but when I went to take just a few steps on the shore to change the angle I was pulling on it, it just came right out.  Could a big snapping turtle have grabbed it?  It was pretty shallow there.  I have no idea how a structure snag could bend a hook inwards.

6 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Headed to Kittery trading post now.

Got to be something that I can try at the RES next week...:naughty:

Dynamite?  I could have used some this morning.  Real tough bite.  Weather forecast was calling for 5-10mph winds.  There was zero wind.  It looked like a farm pond.  Might as well go home when that happens.  

11 mins ago, frezzy said:

Dynamite?  I could have used some this morning.  Real tough bite.  Weather forecast was calling for 5-10mph winds.  There was zero wind.  It looked like a farm pond.  Might as well go home when that happens.  

Those flat calm days I break out the finesse gear

hair jigs, small Ned rigs, blade baits, and megabass vision 110jr and a drop shot can all produce

Skunked last two trips.  Today was frustrating because I had fish follow a lure to my feet at least 3 times that I noticed with no hit.  Had one bite on a 4" soft plastic shad but it just bit the tail again right at my feet and I pulled it out of the fish's mouth.  I hadn't seen a fish for a while at that point so was trying random things.  At one point I even had a trout come swimming in the shallows following the shoreline right at me.  Two of them were rainbows that I could tell.  Couldn't get any other bites or hookups.

Anyone ever tried those soft plastic minijigs at the reservoir?  I was wondering about them with maybe a weighted bobber or something, I don't know.  It's rough seeing so many fish throughout the day but not getting any bites.

Also if the person who left two rod rests there is on this forum, shoot me a PM describing their characteristics and I'll meet you there to return them.

Posted (edited)

123123.jpg.7053c8c6e1a8bb7f0df03dfadd4e5be5.jpg

Got this one in the same spot as last trip where I was getting fish following lures in.  I did notice one follow in today but then the wind picked up and it's harder to see them in the water.  That's a 1 ounce not-Kastmaster (the Bass Pro store brand).  I picked that soft plastic up off the ground and put it on the hook on a whim, since I swapped the trebles to singles.  Now I'm stuck wondering if the fish wanted the plastic or the metal.  At least it hooked up.  As soon as I had it on the ground it flopped right off the hook on it's own.

I've got some small plastic jigs coming.  I experimented a bit today tying a teaser above a Kastmaster.  Nothing took the teaser today obviously but I don't see why it wouldn't work.  I just want to catch those fish following lures to the shore.  At least a couple of them were definitely rainbows; I got good looks at their sides.  I figured I'd try putting something smaller profile like a fly as a teaser.  I had a black wooly bugger on when I noticed the one fish follow it in, couldn't tell if it was a rainbow but it looked like a little smaller fish.  It seemed interested but really skittish.

Edited by tobiasfrost

Posted (edited)

I snuck out of work a little early on Wed afternoon so I could get a couple of hours in at the Chu before the early sunset.

I haven't been there in months. As of last Thu night - Fri morning, I was still catching slot sized stripers on the Cape.

I fished the rez even though I had doubts because the air pressure bottomed out a couple of hours before I got there. Low air pressure often turns off the bite.

I got one typical laker on a spoon. The fish hit pretty close to shore. I caught it on a lure I throw for rainbows & salmon so I was actually surprised it was a laker. When I 1st hooked it, I thought I had a rainbow.

There was still some snow on the trails from the overnight snow.

Screenshot_20221116-120940_Chrome.jpg.1aaa0ad85e57a2fe64a1e80dbbdb7979.jpg

20221116_161914.jpg.7735825208c60a50c91b553c787eb750.jpg

20221116_140036.jpg.a96d81af028623a5150ebbba25a0d978.jpg

Edited by zak-striper

1 hour ago, zak-striper said:

I fished the rez even though I had doubts because the air pressure bottomed out a couple of hours before I got there. Low air pressure often turns off the bite.

That's good to know! I had always thought that dropping air pressure was good for fishing there. This might explain my catch rate!