Richard_the_Aughth

Fall Chu fishing

Rate this topic

104 posts in this topic

General Information. Wachusett Reservoir and Sudbury Reservoir are open to shoreline fishing only from dawn to dusk starting on the first Saturday in April (April 2, 2022) and ending November 30.

51 mins ago, Stripernut1 said:

General Information. Wachusett Reservoir and Sudbury Reservoir are open to shoreline fishing only from dawn to dusk starting on the first Saturday in April (April 2, 2022) and ending November 30.

:howdy:

Posted (edited)

On 10/31/2022 at 11:02 AM, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Anyone know how the smb fishing has been lately?

Solid.  I got 4 yesterday morning in less than ideal conditions (no wind).  Only fished for about 3 hours.  Biggest was 4.13lbs and all the others were in the 3s.  I fished both mornings last weekend and got 3 on Saturday and 5 on Sunday.  Again, very little wind and bright sun so not the best conditions.  All the usual size from 3-4.5lbs.  A mix of jerkbaits when there's some wind and blade baits is getting the fish.  Good luck!     

Edited by frezzy

18 hours ago, frezzy said:

Solid.  I got 4 yesterday morning in less than ideal conditions (no wind).  Only fished for about 3 hours.  Biggest was 4.13lbs and all the others were in the 3s.  I fished both mornings last weekend and got 3 on Saturday and 5 on Sunday.  Again, very little wind and bright sun so not the best conditions.  All the usual size from 3-4.5lbs.  A mix of jerkbaits when there's some wind and blade baits is getting the fish.  Good luck!     

by blade baits do you mean like vibrax inlines?

Great report, thanks 

37 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

by blade baits do you mean like vibrax inlines?

Great report, thanks 

Silver Buddy is the original.  Try a 3/4oz in gold when cloudy and silver in the sun.  Don’t be afraid to let it sit on bottom for a few seconds.  They will pick it up and you’ll feel the tick.  The 1/2oz Damiki Vault is also a killer blade bait at the Chu. It’s tough to beat a blade for Smallies right now.

Went for the first time yesterday.  It's really nice there, helps there are no bugs now though.  I mostly wanted to check it out but I threw a kastmaster and some other random jigs/tins with no bites.  I got some spinners and rattling crankbaits now so I'll try those soon.

I did see 3 or 4 fish break the surface and one jumped out of the water but couldn't really tell if they were trout.  I was a little surprised to not at least get a bite on the smaller profile tin.  Maybe I wasn't fishing the part of the lake where LMB can be found.  I figured they'd hit it for sure, or a big crappie.

Not my photo, posted by someone else on FB. This was at the chu last weekend.

I was fishing a gate in the general area of Tahanto last Sunday and saw possibly the same eagle swoop down and take a fish at the surface. Pretty damn cool.

chu_eagle.jpg

21 mins ago, pescatore said:

Not my photo, posted by someone else on FB. This was at the chu last weekend.

I was fishing a gate in the general area of Tahanto last Sunday and saw possibly the same eagle swoop down and take a fish at the surface. Pretty damn cool.

chu_eagle.jpg

Wow!

Posted (edited)

I did it, I caught one.  Took two trips and probably roughly the ~6.5 hours the state estimates it takes on average for someone to catch a fish at the reservoir based on the creel surveys.

I feel like I cheated somehow, or at least was really lazy, because I just used my surf gear plus the cheapest crankbait on Amazon.  30 pound braid and 60 pound leader and a 9 foot rod.  I've been putting it off but I'll get around to cleaning up another reel and putting lighter line on it.  I do like the longer rod for casting though.  Plenty of space on the shore for it.

20221104_175445.jpg.13be5833375b4e8d5769b2fe5bbe65e8.jpg

Edited by tobiasfrost

6 mins ago, tobiasfrost said:

I did it, I caught one.  Took two trips and probably roughly the ~6.5 hours the state estimates it takes on average for someone to catch a fish at the reservoir based on the creel surveys.

I feel like I cheated somehow, or at least was really lazy, because I just used my surf gear plus the cheapest crankbait on Amazon.  30 pound braid and 60 pound leader and a 9 foot rod.  I've been putting it off but I'll get around to cleaning up another reel and putting lighter line on it.  I do like the longer rod for casting though.  Plenty of space on the shore for it.

20221104_175445.jpg.13be5833375b4e8d5769b2fe5bbe65e8.jpg

Nice job!

I'm headed there next week 

12 hours ago, tobiasfrost said:

30 pound braid and 60 pound leader and a 9 foot rod. 

seriously? the water is gin clear. 

for what it's worth. on my lure rods i use 15lb main braid with a 12lb flouro for lakers/ smallies or a 8lb flouro leader for salmon/rainbow

18 mins ago, zak-striper said:

seriously? the water is gin clear. 

for what it's worth. on my lure rods i use 15lb main braid with a 12lb flouro for lakers/ smallies or a 8lb flouro leader for salmon/rainbow

Like Campo said "anything will work once"

Maybe more who knows