Richard_the_Aughth

Fall Chu fishing

Rate this topic

104 posts in this topic

Go on FB, to Wachusett Res. Fishing, the Res. I Didn't  know how to spell it, but they show fish , what to use ,  and where is a good places, there getting Lakers, there getting all kinds of trout, a couple  of weeks ago, someone  got a 6 or 7 pound smallie

4 mins ago, burkie said:

Go on FB, to Wachusett Res. Fishing, the Res. I Didn't  know how to spell it, but they show fish , what to use ,  and where is a good places, there getting Lakers, there getting all kinds of trout, a couple  of weeks ago, someone  got a 6 or 7 pound smallie

I don't use fb but thanks for the heads up! Good to know people are catching and it's not skunk city

I just took a look and they said, mornings and before dark,, there anywhere from 20ft to 60ft down, 3/4 Oz kastmaster, some use silver and blue, some are using  8ft 9ft rods , Stone Church, I think that's on rt.140, and  gate24 is a small walk, you have to check the regulations for the chu because the laws are different,  I don't think you can fish at dark, some gates you can't go in, if you know someone that has FB you could find out more

2 hours ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Anyone take a shot at the Chu recently? Now that the weather is cooling off I'm considering planning a trip

salmon will be spawning soon, they'll be up the rivers for about a month or so. what's remaining of the brown trout population will also be spawning soon. some rainbows like to follow them up the rivers to eat their eggs. i also believe the strain of rainbow trout that MA F&G stocks are fall breeders. Other strains spawn in the spring.

lakers spawn in the fall as well. lakers & salmon are currently in pre-spawn eating mode.

smallies will be entering pre winter feeding mode so the smallie bite will be good. i know a guy who caught a smallie in late november that was just under 7lbs. 

salmon are tough to catch in the main rez in october unless you like pulling breeders off their redds. they fall back in november. when depends on river water levels and temperature. seems like the last 4 years or so, they've been falling back fairly late in november, making it hard to catch them in the main rez until right before it closes for the season.  i kinda think the lack of rain and the warm weather will delay the salmon spawn a little, making them fall back later in november. 

by mid november, everything's catchable. if you know how to target whatever species you like to catch, look at a depth chart of the rez and it's pretty easy to figure out where to fish.

2 hours ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Anyone take a shot at the Chu recently? Now that the weather is cooling off I'm considering planning a trip

I could be up for a trip next week if you wanna meet up bud....

14 hours ago, zak-striper said:

salmon will be spawning soon, they'll be up the rivers for about a month or so. what's remaining of the brown trout population will also be spawning soon. some rainbows like to follow them up the rivers to eat their eggs. i also believe the strain of rainbow trout that MA F&G stocks are fall breeders. Other strains spawn in the spring.

lakers spawn in the fall as well. lakers & salmon are currently in pre-spawn eating mode.

smallies will be entering pre winter feeding mode so the smallie bite will be good. i know a guy who caught a smallie in late november that was just under 7lbs. 

salmon are tough to catch in the main rez in october unless you like pulling breeders off their redds. they fall back in november. when depends on river water levels and temperature. seems like the last 4 years or so, they've been falling back fairly late in november, making it hard to catch them in the main rez until right before it closes for the season.  i kinda think the lack of rain and the warm weather will delay the salmon spawn a little, making them fall back later in november. 

by mid november, everything's catchable. if you know how to target whatever species you like to catch, look at a depth chart of the rez and it's pretty easy to figure out where to fish.

Thus my annual whine that they should keep the rez open to fishing until at least mid December. Most years theres little chance of ice up until well after that. 

I've been out a lot.  Only target bass though.  Smallies are still deep, but are feeding.  1/2oz Jigs with a craw trailer has been doing well.  Averaging 4-7 fish in 3-4 hours, so it's solid.  As usual size is good with most fish between 2.5-4lbs and the occasional 4-5 pounder as well.  They will be moving shallow in the next few weeks.  That's when it's time to break out the blade baits and jerkbaits all the way until Nov 30th..  Good shot at a 5+ pounder if you put the time in.  See you out there!      

Posted (edited)

4 mins ago, frezzy said:

I've been out a lot.  Only target bass though.  Smallies are still deep, but are feeding.  1/2oz Jigs with a craw trailer has been doing well.  Averaging 4-7 fish in 3-4 hours, so it's solid.  As usual size is good with most fish between 2.5-4lbs and the occasional 4-5 pounder as well.  They will be moving shallow in the next few weeks.  That's when it's time to break out the blade baits and jerkbaits all the way until Nov 30th..  Good shot at a 5+ pounder if you put the time in.  See you out there!      

What kind of jig do you use there? I've tried jigging for smb there a few times but never developed the confidence for it

Edited by Richard_the_Aughth

1 min ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

What kind of jig do you use there?

Football jig if I'm fishing rocky areas.  Arky style flipping jigs when I'm fishing around grass or if I know the bottom is mucky.  I always use Tungsten.  Pricey but feel is so much better.  

23 mins ago, frezzy said:

You make a strong case for chasing some smallies later in the fall.

My son and I have had only spotty results with the trout. We have gotten some quality bass. 

Posted (edited)

Now’s the time.  Brownie today. 

51C03FE0-E2C9-4FFF-B09A-EE5D26C29D5D.jpeg

Edited by golden

Hit it for a few hours yesterday morning and got one 18" lake;

OgtONEnl.jpg

The wind laid down  and the whole res was a mill pond for a while;

aTtDNYol.jpg

Will try to get back before the season closes. 

On 10/24/2022 at 10:17 AM, Stripernut1 said:

Hit it for a few hours yesterday morning and got one 18" lake;

OgtONEnl.jpg

The wind laid down  and the whole res was a mill pond for a while;

aTtDNYol.jpg

Will try to get back before the season closes. 

When's the season close?