Fergal

Line Kurve Basket

Rate this topic

76 posts in this topic

thanks so much, getting ready to saltwater fly fish in earnest for first time and been told repeatedly I need a basket and seeing the cost online I'm thinking "couldn't i just attach a bucket to waist?"

looking forward to the pics when you get a chance and thank you so much for sharing your build

5 hours ago, iklu said:

Exactly for what you're suggesting, I've actually found the Ahrex Flexistripper to be the best choice. I'm usually retrieving a sinking line with long strips. If I strip with my left hand, I have the Flexistripper on my left hip. The soft line holders do a great job of grabbing line, and there are no walls to catch the wind or water. For anything but very short hand over hand retrieves, I've found the Flexistripper to outperform walled baskets, and it's considerably more comfortable to use.

Not sure this type of stripper / Flexistripper would be the best for your typical type of commercial buckets.

If you are planning for using your waders shallow that's one thing but if fishing when the water is deep I think that might be another issue. ie:  If water is very deep, mostly high on your upper waders, say up to your belt high, and also using a floating line, I would think that the line will walk right out of the bucket when floating.   Maybe more so if you are fishing deep, and on typically most days on the East Coast, waves crashing up to your belly button might cause you to keep your line out of the water.

bucket.jpg.28a7489ca15bbf21145bc039f84c2968.jpg

Manybe so but I'd like to see someone trying this to use it as shown.

HillTop

Edited by HillTop

I can tell you from personal experience that it works well for me, and isn't a giant tangle. It's equivalent to or better than an Orvis stripping basket.

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

That looks like a giant tangle just waiting to happen. 

My first thought. Those coils have got to be knot magnets.

9 mins ago, C. Regalis said:

My first thought. Those coils have got to be knot magnets.

A little surf, a little wind, a little rush when the albies blow up in front of you....

16 hours ago, adam42 said:

thanks so much, getting ready to saltwater fly fish in earnest for first time and been told repeatedly I need a basket and seeing the cost online I'm thinking "couldn't i just attach a bucket to waist?"

looking forward to the pics when you get a chance and thank you so much for sharing your build

This is it. Simple. Knots in the bungee to shorten it so it fits. 

8211F5E7-7B38-4136-BB28-962092F200A7.jpeg

D1A9020B-9117-46E5-A0A1-BD4CE70F57BC.jpeg

4F55D89C-0AF8-4870-914A-794878AFA109.jpeg

That’s huge. You could keep live bunker in that baby. Very deep, can see why nothing blows out of her. Nice rig Drew. Plain and simple. Swings out of the way which is why I favor the Line Kurve. I will buy that line kurve from you if you want to get rid of it. If you want bring it with you when you head to Block and we can meet up. I look forward to meeting you ! 

2 hours ago, turkaholic said:

That’s huge. You could keep live bunker in that baby. Very deep, can see why nothing blows out of her. Nice rig Drew. Plain and simple. Swings out of the way which is why I favor the Line Kurve. I will buy that line kurve from you if you want to get rid of it. If you want bring it with you when you head to Block and we can meet up. I look forward to meeting you ! 

Thanks but I'll hold onto the LK. My father-in-law fishes once in while and it's never a bad idea to have an extra. I do think that the LK will be ok when I fish a full line. It's not big enough when I'm using heads.

I'll be on Block on Friday, two weeks. I'll pm you my cell. I generally fish sunrise and here and there depending on the tides. I'm hoping to fish the dark a few times too.

So while it has been on my list of to-dos for a long time, this thread, including photos posted by @HillTop, have inspired me to do a modification to my Linekurv that’s long in the coming.

The objective was to find a belt that is stiff enough to not only hold the basket but also to put some gear on it, pliers, a knife, attachment for a lip gripper, etc. of course, it could’ve been a two belt system, with a Batman utility belt and then the line curve either under or over that. However, if you include the belt that’s holding up my pants, that would’ve been three belts and that would be just untenable.

So the set up I am seeking is similar to my surf fishing belt I’ve shown elsewhere. The problem with the nighthawk tactical belt I use on the surf rig is that it’s just too heavy to be used with the stripping basket. Too stiff and too wide so I had to find an alternative. 

Single-ply web belts are slightly stiffer than the factory Linekurv web belt but they are still too floppy. Also, those belts always have pull through buckles, which is suboptimal. The advantage of the LK belt is that it has a snap buckle and it’s not a pull through. Pull through belts are too cumbersome to be used with a stripping basket, particularly with gear on it. 

So I stopped at the 511 tactical store and sure enough they had a belt that I think is going to work brilliantly. 1.5 inches wide, two-ply material, with a thin stiffener inside between the layers. The belt is also curved to sit on the hips properly which is another advantage particularly with a stripping basket. You actually wear it upside down so the front dips lower which you have to see to understand.

The other advantage of this belt in addition to the 1.5 width as opposed to 1.75 or 2 inches, like my other belt, is the buckle design. Unlike cobra belts with lots of metal that can rust, this is all plastic as I understand it. Also, the male end is relatively small so they can fit through belt loops or in the case of the basket, the cut out holes.

When you see the photos below you’ll say that’s too fat to fit through those slots on the LK basket and you would be right. Hilltops photos, including his showing a Dremel tool, inspired me to open up my holes to accommodate that buckle, as well as allow a stiffer belt to fit flat against the surface.

I just came off the beach right now I don’t have it with me but I’ll post photos of it later. In the meantime here are some photos of that belt. For anyone trying to do this on the cheap, this is not the belt for you, because it’s over $40 

B2C8008B-068D-42FF-92AE-E97463D3E502.jpeg

2463A6FB-9EFA-420B-8A57-F4894682CD31.jpeg

505383E1-7A2B-452C-B0C7-64DA63F1672B.jpeg

Edited by flyangler

On 9/19/2022 at 7:29 AM, Drew C. said:

I’ve always used a DIY tub and shock cord for my stripping basket. A few guys here seem to like the line kurve so I decided to get one. 

Well, after about 10 casts or so I absolutely hate the ****ing thing. It’s shallow as hell, line wants to blow out, I keep hitting my hands on the damn giant cones. This was a giant fail for me. I’m just too used to my old set-up I guess. This thing will be used for backup and the rare guest. 

I don't know man ... but I've been through just about every stripping basket made (home made & factory etc.) and the Linekurv is the best. IMHO. In the surf you probably want something with lots of holes ... otherwise I'm using the Linekurv.

53 mins ago, KironaFly said:

I don't know man ... but I've been through just about every stripping basket made (home made & factory etc.) and the Linekurv is the best. IMHO. In the surf you probably want something with lots of holes ... otherwise I'm using the Linekurv.

I'll try it with a line when i'm bass fishing on block, maybe it will be ok for that. 

I’m in Newport for the weekend to visit my daughter at college. So I hit saltwaters edge, I was able to look at both I mentioned.  I liked the Linekurv better the orvis. I like the design since it’s like the one I use now just deeper.  Time will tell if I like it.