Fergal

Line Kurve Basket

Rate this topic

76 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, kermic said:

I used an orvis basket for years, very well made- especially good in heavy surf.  However, the downside is it's heavy.  Since I walk quite a bit, I have been looking to eliminate weight. I purchased the LK basket and after a full season- ton of hours on this thing I really like it.  It's much lighter than the orvis, holds line well- basically works well for me.... I primarily fish surf, inlets, bay.  Should last quite a while.  

I have a couple of baskets... one the standard "dish pan" style. A second is neatly twice as deep - the logic there was for windy days.

I made them with green weed-wacker line and the pattern/number of spikes may not be optimal.

The big thing was that if I stripped hard I hit the tops with my hand - just sharp edged enough to do some damage. That's when I picked up an LK.

It works well for me. I got it because it approximated the size / shape of the LL Bean basket which is no longer available.

Interestingly, I tried a friend's Bean basket. That thing is very rigid and surprisingly heavy.

I find I have to push any basket towards my left hip, for convenient stripping and to accommodate casting a two hander.

17 hours ago, HillTop said:

Howdy Ron,

The basket was made from a "Cherry Bucket", basically the buckets are used for folks from fruit farms.     The one above here is my most recent stripping basket but I have three more brand new buckets waiting for the next design(s).    Hey, you know me by now, never happy  ............    My new design will replace those yellow cones (making sausages), with something easy that I came up with that is very close to the typical commercial stripping basket diameters.  Will be able to easily change the overall length of my new cones to replace/adjust the cones to any length in the bucket adjusted on the spot, maybe even multiple lengths to experience from these baskets.  I have a few other ideas as well.

Wish we luck.

HT

bucket1.jpg.b5129a181ea856cbf22844ed8178c9f4.jpgbucket2.png.e1593640d7384677eb63072aa8522622.pngbucket3.png.4e1eabf13a5794cef8aa5177f852747d.pngbucket4.png.8ab770a8463818d81125e9f4c812d25a.pngbucket5.png.7d50a710c3c1f2a344d8957e17111b18.pngbucket6.png.dc0896859b10d3d0214b176738f3ad77.pngbucket7.png.eac2d1d2e0d607a19dde884567b9a992.pngbucket8.png.7704d7abaa6db8e3f6e46ea3976ac9b4.png

PS:   When I bought miy first ones it was a way  back.   Probably was under $18 then.

That's a pretty good version... what do you use to get that nice clean cut? And what's the template that matches the bottom used for?

2 hours ago, C. Regalis said:

I have a couple of baskets... one the standard "dish pan" style. A second is neatly twice as deep - the logic there was for windy days.

I made them with green weed-wacker line and the pattern/number of spikes may not be optimal.

The big thing was that if I stripped hard I hit the tops with my hand - just sharp edged enough to do some damage. That's when I picked up an LK.

It works well for me. I got it because it approximated the size / shape of the LL Bean basket which is no longer available.

Interestingly, I tried a friend's Bean basket. That thing is very rigid and surprisingly heavy.

I find I have to push any basket towards my left hip, for convenient stripping and to accommodate casting a two hander.

The LK, similar to what I came up with,  is nice as you need the belt to be higher so you don't constantly wack you fingers/hand stripping in line.   Can't stand a bucket sitting up higher now that I realized it's much lower.

Mine is pretty damn strong material and a little bit heavier than normal but wants I use it I don't think about it.   I've never thought heavy being an issue and don't even notice walking a few miles back and forth.    I also hold mine off to my left arm, (I'm a righty), and no issues leaving all line out material sitting up in my bucket.

HT

Posted (edited)

Been there man. You have to melt the tops of the weed wacker line or zip ties with a lighter so they form a teardrop. 

I made a basket along the lines of this video. Floor tiles picked up from Home depot. I didn't leave the front open though. I made a sidewall using the thicker EVA foam sheets from Michael's--the ones that are really big. Really lightweight, maybe even a little too light.

Everything goes together with contact cement. You can tear parts off if you want and redo them. But the contact cement holds really well so you're just tearing the foam itself.  

I think there's a problem with the shape though as I get line catching on rod side. I think the ECOastal or a regular square basket for the sides and fronts might be better, with the curved side on body side. 

Edited by TopStriperAngler

Posted (edited)

That's a pretty good version... what do you use to get that nice clean cut? And what's the template that matches the bottom used for?

Actually I cut the bucket using a Dremel Tool, one of the "burr" type tools for shaping the holes.  Takes a little holding onto but once you get used to it its pretty easy.  Holding the Dremel is much easier when you use the burr tool and hold it just a little deeper into the bucket depth.  Use a Multiple Purpose Cutting Kit (Amazon) .  The bucket cut ends up pretty clean but not perfect.  I use a half-round course file and sandpaper to finish off the edges.

dremel.jpg.c1d10936364dddb8d5ea482717516051.jpg

The bucket template is drawn from a piece of paper using ,11" x 17".  Drawn with a simple PC printer.    I created the drawing from engineering software, (SolidWorks),  but I'm sure you could find something else with a little extra work by most anyone.

Once I come up with the final design I'll probably make my template out of a very thin (.010") sheet stainless steel.  Will then finish wire cutting my template out of a cut laser.  (over kill :) )   Just fun to do.   My aphasia is still pretty bad to communicate but my brain still works now and then. Amen.

HT

Edited by HillTop

26 mins ago, HillTop said:

Actually I cut the bucket using a Dremel Tool, one of the "burr" type tools for shaping the holes.  Takes a little holding onto but once you get used to it its pretty easy.  Cut ends up pretty clean but not perfect.  I use a half-round course file and sandpaper to finish off the edges.

dremel.jpg.c1d10936364dddb8d5ea482717516051.jpg

That's pretty cool. I wasn't familiar with that sort of dremel tool. Almost looks like a small hand held router.

12 mins ago, C. Regalis said:

That's pretty cool. I wasn't familiar with that sort of dremel tool. Almost looks like a small hand held router.

Exactly. 

@HillTop SolidWorks? They were a client of mine at one point before they were bought by Dassault. Serious software for sure

Sorry to high jack your thread Drew. Quick question for those who use the LineKurv and/or orvis baskets. Which one do you prefer for full sink line, from shore in windy conditions?  My basket now is a Amazon one which is good for most conditions except for the one I stated previously.  I’m looking for a deeper and longer basket, when the wind kicked up or I missed a strip slightly. The line seamed to come right of the basket and spill out like dominoes into the water.  I really had to short strip into my basket which was kind of annoying. Thanks in advance. 

Posted (edited)

10 mins ago, Mark L said:

Sorry to high jack your thread Drew. Quick question for those who use the LineKurv and/or orvis baskets. Which one do you prefer for full sink line, from shore in windy conditions?  My basket now is an Amazon one which is good for most conditions except for the one I stated previously.  I’m looking for a deeper and longer basket, when the wind kicked up or I missed a strip slightly. The line seamed to come right of the basket and spill out like dominoes into the water.  I really had to short strip into my basket which was kind of annoying. Thanks in advance. 

Hijack away, HT had added a ton of useful stuff here. I’m going to look into the basket that he mentions. My current one is old and won’t last forever. 

I’ve ordered a few tubs. Some came and likely won’t work, a few others are on the way. 

I don’t think I want large cones in mine, I’ve always used zip-ties pushed thru the bottom and glued in. I clip them to ~1-1.5”. I don’t want a high thing sticking out of the bottom. 

ps - at this point this thread really deserves a different title due to the good stuff in it. 

Edited by Drew C.

17 hours ago, TopStriperAngler said:

Been there man. You have to melt the tops of the weed wacker line or zip ties with a lighter so they form a teardrop. 

I made a basket along the lines of this video. Floor tiles picked up from Home depot. I didn't leave the front open though. I made a sidewall using the thicker EVA foam sheets from Michael's--the ones that are really big. Really lightweight, maybe even a little too light.

Everything goes together with contact cement. You can tear parts off if you want and redo them. But the contact cement holds really well so you're just tearing the foam itself.  

I think there's a problem with the shape though as I get line catching on rod side. I think the ECOastal or a regular square basket for the sides and fronts might be better, with the curved side on body side. 

I guess it saves having to drill holes.  NE Coast of USA I don’t think so.

10 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Hijack away, HT had added a ton of useful stuff here. I’m going to look into the basket that he mentions. My current one is old and won’t last forever. 

I’ve ordered a few tubs. Some came and likely won’t work, a few others are on the way. 

I don’t think I want large cones in mine, I’ve always used zip-ties pushed thru the bottom and glued in. I clip them to ~1-1.5”. I don’t want a high thing sticking out of the bottom. 

ps - at this point this thread really deserves a different title due to the good stuff in it. 

I saw HT diy baskets and look really nice and I’m sure I can make one similar to his.  I really want one that I’m not gonna have to fart around with.  He’s has it down to a science mine would be a work in progress I’m sure. I do on occasion hit my hand on the cones but I can live with it.  

6 hours ago, Mark L said:

Sorry to high jack your thread Drew. Quick question for those who use the LineKurv and/or orvis baskets. Which one do you prefer for full sink line, from shore in windy conditions?  My basket now is a Amazon one which is good for most conditions except for the one I stated previously.  I’m looking for a deeper and longer basket, when the wind kicked up or I missed a strip slightly. The line seamed to come right of the basket and spill out like dominoes into the water.  I really had to short strip into my basket which was kind of annoying. Thanks in advance. 

Exactly for what you're suggesting, I've actually found the Ahrex Flexistripper to be the best choice. I'm usually retrieving a sinking line with long strips. If I strip with my left hand, I have the Flexistripper on my left hip. The soft line holders do a great job of grabbing line, and there are no walls to catch the wind or water. For anything but very short hand over hand retrieves, I've found the Flexistripper to outperform walled baskets, and it's considerably more comfortable to use.

3 hours ago, iklu said:

Exactly for what you're suggesting, I've actually found the Ahrex Flexistripper to be the best choice. I'm usually retrieving a sinking line with long strips. If I strip with my left hand, I have the Flexistripper on my left hip. The soft line holders do a great job of grabbing line, and there are no walls to catch the wind or water. For anything but very short hand over hand retrieves, I've found the Flexistripper to outperform walled baskets, and it's considerably more comfortable to use.

Thanks I will look into that one. 

On 9/19/2022 at 7:29 AM, Drew C. said:

I’ve always used a DIY tub and shock cord for my stripping basket. A few guys here seem to like the line kurve so I decided to get one. 

Well, after about 10 casts or so I absolutely hate the ****ing thing. It’s shallow as hell, line wants to blow out, I keep hitting my hands on the damn giant cones. This was a giant fail for me. I’m just too used to my old set-up I guess. This thing will be used for backup and the rare guest. 

can you please tell me how you made your own and preferably with a pic?

35 mins ago, adam42 said:

can you please tell me how you made your own and preferably with a pic?

I can, probably over the weekend. In short, it’s a 17 or 18qt dish pan (I think). I drilled holes in all four corners on top for the bungee cord, a few drain holes in the bottom and then some zip ties to keep the line. A small stab in the bottom, push the tie thru from the bottom and glue in place from the underside only. 

When I started fly fishing in the early 90s there weren’t any pre-made baskets - you made one yourself . That was your choice. A few years later I think bean came out with one but I was cheap when it came to that and kept making them. I always looked at them as semi disposable - bang them around, etc and make a new one when it broke.

My current was bigger than what I typically found. I made one, liked it and got two others. Two broke over the years and I’m left with this one.  It’s definitely showing it’s age and it won’t last forever. So far I’ve had trouble finding another with similar dimensions. 

I’ll post some pics tomorrow (if I fish) or Saturday if I don’t. It’s nothing special but it works for me.  

I certainly have my toys but I’ve always had a little issue spending a lot on a basket for some reason. 

my biggest issue, again, with the LK is that the line started spilling out, I’m guessing 80’ or so feet of running line in the basket. When fishing into the wind the line was everywhere but in the basket..,. The cones were annoying too, a little shorter or a littler deeper would have been better for me. I’ve been using the same basket for over 20 years at this point. Ya kind of get use to stripping a certain way when doing so for that long….