Fergal

Line Kurve Basket

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

I’ve had the displeasure of using this basket all day so far, I can’t remember the last time I despised a fishing product that I bought as much as this thing. I’m probably better stripping the line right onto the rocks. 

10 mins ago, Drew C. said:

I’ve had the displeasure of using this basket all day so far, I can’t remember the last time I despised a fishing product that I bought as much as this thing. I’m probably better stripping the line right onto the rocks. 

Drew, if you have not already, you might want to refresh your memory on these discussions, there might be an alternative discussed. The one Peter mentions particularly so given its lower sides compared to a Linekurv. 

stripping basket.jpg

I have a basket that I’m happy with, it’s my old tub. I’ll have it with me tomorrow. 

I thought that I would try something new and maybe get into this century.  I thought wrong I guess. 

It’s awfully shallow, when casting into the wind, the line blows out. It could also be a little bigger and deeper overall too. Then there are the cones…

I’m being quite the little whiny bitch about it…

drew, given the depth of that tub, along with its width, i cannot understand how you find the Linekurv "worse" that that as far as you hitting your hands, etc. I get that you don't have cones so that might be an issue, but how deep are your hands going into that tub to bump into the Linekurve's cones? 

I use an Orvis bucket with many  3/4” holes drilled for drainage. Wading the surf to waist , the basket/ bucket does take water but drains fast with fly line staying in place. The open face baskets let the waves lift your fly line out, 

1 hour ago, flyangler said:

drew, given the depth of that tub, along with its width, i cannot understand how you find the Linekurv "worse" that that as far as you hitting your hands, etc. I get that you don't have cones so that might be an issue, but how deep are your hands going into that tub to bump into the Linekurve's cones? 

My old one is a hair under 3.5” deeper and if it wasn’t for the curved portion of the line kurve, the LK would fit inside it. 

~3.3875” shallower plus the cones, 1.5-2” taller, no bueno for me. 

In defense of the LK, I’m using a shooting head and carrying 50-80’ of line that’s slightly thinner than what would be on a regular line. Two - I’m tall with somewhat longer arms so even if the basket is worn low it’s too shallow so I hit the cones. 

It may be decent for easy night fishing with a full line, I wouldn’t be carrying that much in the basket and probably not generating the line speed that a head does.  

On 9/19/2022 at 9:27 AM, HillTop said:

Drew,

Did my own, the HillTop Basket.   Did this a quite while ago. (forum here).

Not sure if you remember this one but I didn't like the typical basket as for me it sits up to high on my belt bucket and hits my fingers/hand.   I like it sitting lower on my leg.   Everyone has there own thing.    Mine is a little heaver but it doesn't bother me and in fact a little heavier keeps it down and not bouncing up and down.

This was done a few years ago.   I have another new one deigned but have yet to find the time to build it.

HT

striping2.png.6a3d2f2e599124e260bb79e6f67d8808.pngstriping3.png.bf332bdfa423ca881b0e979fd9cc1bc1.pngstriping4.png.91c6bb616053a7de7054129096fd9b44.png

striping1.png

Chuck, I should know this... but one more time - what is the basic shell of this basket made of? Commercial stripping basket?

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, C. Regalis said:

Chuck, I should know this... but one more time - what is the basic shell of this basket made of? Commercial stripping basket?

Howdy Ron,

The basket was made from a "Cherry Bucket", basically the buckets are used for folks from fruit farms.     The one above here is my most recent stripping basket but I have three more brand new buckets waiting for the next design(s).    Hey, you know me by now, never happy  ............    My new design will replace those yellow cones (making sausages), with something easy that I came up with that is very close to the typical commercial stripping basket diameters.  Will be able to easily change the overall length of my new cones to replace/adjust the cones to any length in the bucket adjusted on the spot, maybe even multiple lengths to experience from these baskets.  I have a few other ideas as well.

Wish we luck.

HT

bucket1.jpg.b5129a181ea856cbf22844ed8178c9f4.jpgbucket2.png.e1593640d7384677eb63072aa8522622.pngbucket3.png.4e1eabf13a5794cef8aa5177f852747d.pngbucket4.png.8ab770a8463818d81125e9f4c812d25a.pngbucket5.png.7d50a710c3c1f2a344d8957e17111b18.pngbucket6.png.dc0896859b10d3d0214b176738f3ad77.pngbucket7.png.eac2d1d2e0d607a19dde884567b9a992.pngbucket8.png.7704d7abaa6db8e3f6e46ea3976ac9b4.png

PS:   When I bought miy first ones it was a way  back.   Probably was under $18 then.

Edited by HillTop

I used an orvis basket for years, very well made- especially good in heavy surf.  However, the downside is it's heavy.  Since I walk quite a bit, I have been looking to eliminate weight. I purchased the LK basket and after a full season- ton of hours on this thing I really like it.  It's much lighter than the orvis, holds line well- basically works well for me.  I drilled holes in the bottom for drainage, but really no complaints from me on the LK basket.  I primarly fish surf, inlets, bay.  Should last quite a while.  

Use an older LL Bean, has held up well, 5 or 6 short plastic spikes added thru the bottom. If anything I wish it was an inch or two deeper for those windy days. I like to scoop just a half inch of water into the basket, I've noticed it helps manage the line a bit better. Much prefer a bungee cord to a belt, easy to dump if a wave fills it, much easier to swing around my side without snagging on pliers or small belt bag I always wear on main belt.

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, HillTop said:

bucket8.png.7704d7abaa6db8e3f6e46ea3976ac9b4.png

If I recall correctly, you had previously indicated that you had trouble using adhesives for the cone to basket surface. IIRC, that’s what led you to your basket-in-another-basket iteration. The above looks like you solved to the adhesive issue.

A new adhesive or do the grommets and precise hole diameter provide a foolproof pressure fit? 

Edited by flyangler