Fergal

Line Kurve Basket

Rate this topic

84 posts in this topic

I’ve always used a DIY tub and shock cord for my stripping basket. A few guys here seem to like the line kurve so I decided to get one. 

Well, after about 10 casts or so I absolutely hate the ****ing thing. It’s shallow as hell, line wants to blow out, I keep hitting my hands on the damn giant cones. This was a giant fail for me. I’m just too used to my old set-up I guess. This thing will be used for backup and the rare guest. 

That sucks. Hate spending cash and you find out something is a dud. I have way to many of those experiences. I picked up the SA coastal stripping basket and it has been awesome for me. No banging my hands into anything. Fished from jetties, beach and boat so far. Very happy with it. Just an option. 

https://www.scientificanglers.com/product/ecoastal-stripping-basket/

Others like it but I’m probably too used to what I usually use. 

There’s a strong possibility that this gets tossed in the ocean today. It’s already cost me a shot. 

I will save the belt tho, that’s nice lol. 

Posted (edited)

Drew,

Did my own, the HillTop Basket.   Did this a quite while ago. (forum here).

Not sure if you remember this one but I didn't like the typical basket as for me it sits up to high on my belt bucket and hits my fingers/hand.   I like it sitting lower on my leg.   Everyone has there own thing.    Mine is a little heaver but it doesn't bother me and in fact a little heavier keeps it down and not bouncing up and down.

This was done a few years ago.   I have another new one deigned but have yet to find the time to build it.

HT

striping2.png.6a3d2f2e599124e260bb79e6f67d8808.pngstriping3.png.bf332bdfa423ca881b0e979fd9cc1bc1.pngstriping4.png.91c6bb616053a7de7054129096fd9b44.png

striping1.png

Edited by HillTop

I've been using and loving the Ahrex flexistripper. No walls to bang my hands on. Holds line as well as the Orvis basked I used to use. The only downside is, it does do better with longer strips, so there's enough line to weave through soft plastic line catchers. If I'm doing a very slow two-handed retrieve, the line sometimes doesn't get caught in the basket, and drops to the ground/water. But overall, the pros of the Ahrex far outweigh the cons, for me.

Posted (edited)

Go and buy this Ikea kid's stool for $5.00. Buy a belt with one of those quick-release clasp for another few bucks. Cut a few slots for the belt, as shown.  Drill holes in the basket with a bit that matches the diameter of some weed trimmer cord (i used 300# commercial fishing line, instead). Push lengths of cord into the holes. I have the curve in the line set to release line forward, it will make a big difference. I've had mine for many years now. It has a curve in it that allows it to fit against your waist comfortably. 

Ikea Stripping Basket.JPG

Edited by baldwin

I’m good on a basket, they old one will be just fine. More annoyed with this one, swapping out at this point is a bit of a walk. The old one is in the truck so I’m set once I go back to it. 

I primarily use an old LL Bean basket, but also have a Linekurv and an Orvis basket.

I’ve used all three and like them, but prefer the Bean basket the best. I tend to use the Linekurv more when I’m shore crabbing as it is lighter. If I didn’t have the Bean basket, I’d use the Linekurv over the Orvis basket

SF

2 hours ago, Drew C. said:

I will save the belt tho, that’s nice lol. 

Funny, I have a Linekurv and I am in the process of replacing the belt because I think it is too flimsy for my needs. I want to mount stuff on the belt, like my regular spinning surf belt (Batman utility belt style) and the Linekurv belt just won't cut it. I am going to use a cheap "riggers" belt that has a double layer of webbing with each of those layers thicker than the Linekurv. I will have to widen the belt holes on the Linekurv to accommodate the slightly thicker belt. 

1 hour ago, HillTop said:

Drew, Did my own, the HillTop Basket.   Did this a quite while ago. (forum here).

.....I have another new one deigned but have yet to find the time to build it.

striping1.png

Hill, I was reading older threads here on baskets (or "line trays" as Mike Oliver insists on calling them) and I read your various iterations. Not sure I have seen this final version or not but it is a beauty.

I see that you moved away from the tub-in-a-tub version so how did you get over the issue of securing the caulk cones? Are the grommet holding them in place? Also not that you have eliminated the hard pipe holders on the rod rests - that was a great idea but the above is far more refined. 

If you could post a photo of the bottom, it would be appreciated. 

All in, that is a masterful piece of work. 

14 mins ago, flyangler said:

Funny, I have a Linekurv and I am in the process of replacing the belt because I think it is too flimsy for my needs. I want to mount stuff on the belt, like my regular spinning surf belt (Batman utility belt style) and the Linekurv belt just won't cut it. I am going to use a cheap "riggers" belt that has a double layer of webbing with each of those layers thicker than the Linekurv. I will have to widen the belt holes on the Linekurv to accommodate the slightly thicker belt. 

Hill, I was reading older threads here on baskets (or "line trays" as Mike Oliver insists on calling them) and I read your various iterations. Not sure I have seen this final version or not but it is a beauty.

I see that you moved away from the tub-in-a-tub version so how did you get over the issue of securing the caulk cones? Are the grommet holding them in place? Also not that you have eliminated the hard pipe holders on the rod rests - that was a great idea but the above is far more refined. 

If you could post a photo of the bottom, it would be appreciated. 

All in, that is a masterful piece of work. 

Which belt do you have? I have the elastic type. It’s reasonably sturdy but I’m not looking to put things on it. 

With practice I learned to loop the line in the non casting hand , I fish flat water or less wave more . When I did fish the surf more it is an Orvis . 

8 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Which belt do you have? I have the elastic type. It’s reasonably sturdy but I’m not looking to put things on it. 

I have a Redington elastic wading belt in a box up on a shelf. When I read you guys preferring elastic belts I thought of using that but I think it won't be optimal balance of "rigidity" and yet flexible. 

I have an old 5.11 Tactical "riggers" belt. I put riggers in quotes because the buckles are not meant to support one's weight, which is the entire point of riggers belts. But as a belt sturdy enough to support a IWB or OWB holster, it works. And the nature of the buckle makes it infinitely and immediately adjustable. Much easier than belts with 2 or 3-way locking buckles (I have that on my surf belt, great for that use). Oh, and the buckle is some sort of cast aluminum composite. So no ferrous metal and no springs so it won't rust like those "cobra buckles" that you find everywhere. 

The key is finding one with double layer of webbing on the 270* of belt that is not around the buckle in front. I don't see the model I have on the 5.11 site anymore and I don't know if they still offer similar. We actually have a 5.11 retail store not too far away so I may go check there. 

Oh, and the Linekurv belt and belt holes are sized for 1.75" belt width, which narrows the field given the proliferation of 1.5" belts, but also allows a wider belt for greater stability on your hips and/or to better support any weight. 

This one is on Amazon and might be the best match for what I am discussing. It is "stiffened" which is code for double material. Not as thick and inflexible as the Blackhawk I use for surf belt now.  I just wish it did not have the triangular final fit adjustment piece which is not needed for this usage. 

63288b2e8c35a_ScreenShot2022-09-19at11_30_32AM.png.cf984333c3237aea4e28374dba0f2f3c.png

81RTfGJNHML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If you look closely at this photo, you can see the section which is 2-layer, running from about 2:00 around to 10:00. 

632889b013b4c_ScreenShot2022-09-19at11_23_48AM.png.8980ce7e29cb7b3d922f050abb5e4211.png

Here is the non-stiffened version of same belt, single layer. This is likely stiffer than the factory (domestic) Linekurv belt so could work if someone wants a stiffer elastic belt

63288ab18a063_ScreenShot2022-09-19at11_27_15AM.png.54fb9304aeb867392264da9b057ec1ea.png

Yeah, as with most things, I have given this waaaay too much thought. 

All,

Take a look at  URLs for:      Strapworks [dot] com

Alll kinds of options for straps and the pricing is decent.

HT

================================================================================

Bill To:

HillTop
United States

Ship To:

United States

Credit CardVisa

Shipping Method:
USPS Priority Mail 1-3 Bus.Day

Order Details:

ESRB112HWP

Executive Side Release Belts w/ 1-1/2" Heavyweight Polypropylene
[Choose Your 1-1/2" HWP Color:Black]