maj92az

Albie tips and tricks

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Last week out of Niantic CT, I went my usual striper fishing. I fished what I thought was a bluefish blitz, but ended up being 100s of Albies. I landed one and I'm hooked.

I've since learned lots. Types of common lures, longer floro leaders tied direct. Faster than usual retrieves, ect. 

But my question is locating them. Twice now it was by total coincidence. Including yesterday RIGHT off a golf balls distance from the black point houses, 10, 15, soon 25 boats all started circling for albies. They were in the area for over an hour.

But let's say I go out again. Any general strategy or fish characteristics that might help me get the upper edge on locating?

Currently I'm thinking just cruise a few miles looking for topwater or lots of bait. But boy i feel funny blind casting. 

Thanks. 

Blind cast or look for blitzs. Nothing more nothing less. Don't chase either because they will figure 8 back to where you started most of the time.

Look for areas where the albies can pin the bait.  Abrupt bottom topography where deeper water comes up against shelfs or bars.  Bowls or coves are good spots too.   Don't just look for blitzes, look for individual fish porpoising too.  For every fish you see, there are tens underneath them.    As mentioned above, resist the urge to chase.  They tend to run a racetrack pattern.  Be patient and they will circle around.  Watch the birds, and not just those actively working bait. If they are concentrating on a specific spot, you should be too.

Good luck, and be forewarned, it can become an addiction!

When they are located it is like a bunch of locusts appear out of no where. Crazy boaters trying to chase them down. Stay in your area a be patient.

Good to hear they are around this year. 

Once located, watch and try to figure where they keep coming back to, then get upwind or up current of that area and drift into that spot.

There are often times you have to chase, if you want to catch. Does not matter if you are running down a jetty, chasing down with a boat, kayak or jet ski.  You just have to be courteous to others because they see what is happening too. You can work together but more often than not there will be a Sheriff who likes to tell others what to do. A conductor of sorts and only they can move and nobody else.  One example of a time to chase is when Albies are feeding on the horizontal up and down going from bait school to bait school.  I once followed a horizontal feed from East Bay All the way to Cotuit. I see this normally happen in shallow. You have to get your cast in front. Blind casts work great too. Medium retrieve or it will get crushed the moment it hits the water or on the fall. 

If you're in an area by yourself running and gunning is, by far, the most effective way to catch them.  That is ripping towards the fish, killing the engine, and firing off casts at feeds before they go down.  Sure you can sit around waiting for them to pop up again, and sometimes they will, a lot of times they will not.  The trips where I've put the biggest numbers on deck were in small fast boats.  

If you have company running and gunning is gonna piss some people off, so you'll have to figure out a way to play nice.  My advice in those situations is to let the other boats fish the main area, and leave to fish the outskirts and hopefully get some feeds by yourself.  If that doesn't work I generally don't find it enjoyable fishing for them with a big crowd of boats.  

Thanks everyone. Yesterday got on some more. We checked out an area after a slow early morning. Waited under 15 minutes and birds started piling in. Before long there were 10 boats. Everyone mostly plays nice. I witnessed about 5 albies caught. But somehow I ended up getting a blue and a 25" striper in the mix. Afterwards I wasn't sure what I was chasing. 

I was just happy to catch some fish (stripers/blues) outside of a raging rip. 

But some of you are right. There's a point where running snd gunning and playing nice with 15 boats in casting distance isn't much fun anymore. I'm not a "I hate people" guy btw. Its just not the same enjoyment when your in your own space...

Either way, my wife caught the blue, she liked that. .

We fish 95% from a yak.  If there is any kind of a crowd, we have our best luck by fishing away from it, even if they are on fish.  We will locate a couple of hundred yards away from the hoard.  We may not get as many chances as those in the fray, but we get better chances.  If the crowd finds us, we move even it the fish are still there.   We have had several days this year where this approach has resulted in double digit outings.

FWIW

I'll echo the move away from the crowd comments.  Even if I am on fish, getting 1oz tins zipping by and snagging my line ruins fishing for me.  I'll idle out of the crowd and keep an eye out for them.

I used to run and gun.  I don't do it anymore as I have done it enough to know that the change in RPM from dropping off the plane is what puts them down.  I've practically run them over before and they were still feeding, but if I slam on the brakes they immediately disappear.

I always prefer idling, even if it means I might miss a pile.  I know if I'm careful and approach their feeding area idling that they will come back.  This year and last I have been focusing more on keeping up with the feeds knowing that I set up for a more productive session than getting 1 shot at a pile before they dive.

Also this year I really made an effort to leading the fish.  Sometimes I can't help it and launch right into the pile or have a bad cast.  But when I really focus on leading the fish and slowing my retrieve, I found my hookups went way better.  And I'll even say that I don't even think it mattered what color or size I was throwing, cast placement mattered more.  I've had multiple 12 fish sessions this year fishing with a buddy who has the same gear, on my boat (and I have to drive too) who gets 25% of what I do.  Last time I was out I ran out of pink 7/8oz epoxies so I tied on a blue one.  Hit just as well on that as I did on the pinks if I got the cast in front of them so that they could see it.  It's like hockey, football and skeet shooting, you need to lead the receiver or your cast will be behind them and they won't hit it.  Which I think causes too much time spent tying on new colors or sizes because you think "well they don't like what I'm throwing" when it's more likely that they don't see your presentation.  Not saying color or size doesn't matter but I've seen enough evidence to tell me that cast placement matters more.

I guess my last comment is to stay with the bait.  That's why the ablies are there.  Use sonar to find bait and stay with it if you can.  If albies are in the area, they'll get around to you if you are patient.  Nothing better than being engine off and all of a sudden they are all over you and you can hook on demand.

On 9/19/2022 at 1:12 PM, Jighead75 said:

Even if the blitz is put down cast and cast hundreds of times and change color and size regularly.

Yessir.

Your av is fantastic! :clap:

On 9/19/2022 at 4:12 PM, Jighead75 said:

Even if the blitz is put down cast and cast hundreds of times and change color and size regularly.

This

Keep casting.  And then cast again

Thanks for all of the info guys, I learned a lot in this thread. We rarely get Albies or Bonito way up in The Chesapeake, but this info could be put to use stalking Spanish mackerel too.